PENN

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Left point Loma with a half scoop of good looking sardines. Headed for the south 9. 20 minutes in, Bonito were blowing up everywhere. Probably 6 to 8lb fish. They destroyed my blue and white surface iron time after time. I landed 4 in about 15 minutes. All went back in the water except for 1 who swallowed the lure and came home with us. If anyone has a good recipe for them, let me know. I usually don't keep em.

Got bored with all the Bonito so we headed for the 302. Lots of boats working the area. We found probably a dozen paddies today with only 1 holding a handful of yellowtail. Unfortunately I saw it too late and pretty much ran that one over. Of course it was the the one holding fish. But it was a long slog all around the 302, up to the 226, back to the 9 with dry paddy after dry paddy for us.

Weather conditions were awesome, was pretty flat all day.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Sashimi of course, but grilled and smoked is good too.

but I also have made 1950's nuclear bomb shelter Tuna Noodle Casserole with them and they are delicious! I boil the Bonito in Chicken broth and/or salted water, then flake. use egg noodles! add extra celery and frozen peas.....very delicious. Jut google a few recipes and make up your own.

Reactions: Cubeye and Ryan_J
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Bleed and ice immediately after landing like mentioned above. When you filet the fish, cut out the blood line unless you really enjoy strong fishy flavor. Take the meat you just cut up and pan sear with soy sauce. Simple and tasty!

Like said above, don’t freeze bonito and consume the day of or maybe the next day. If you wait longer that that, save it for bait or plant it in your garden.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
I've made some pretty killer tuna melt sandwiches with bonita before but I prefer it as sushi of some type.

Upvote 0

Excaliber

• Oct 12, 2006
    Meridian, ID.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    sold
    Bonito are one of my favorites. As mentioned above you need to keep them ice cold after bleeding. Cut out the dark blood line and coat with egg and batter/panko of your choice.
    Fry them in butter or oil and they make some great sandwiches.

Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    If cared for if prepared right no difference. In yft. Now people will argue. But if spiked bled and cut and stored. Eaten within 24 hrs. After this time of not cared for it’s shit!! My chef made it several ways and also small yft no difference.

Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    Left point Loma with a half scoop of good looking sardines. Headed for the south 9. 20 minutes in, Bonito were blowing up everywhere. Probably 6 to 8lb fish. They destroyed my blue and white surface iron time after time. I landed 4 in about 15 minutes. All went back in the water except for 1 who swallowed the lure and came home with us. If anyone has a good recipe for them, let me know. I usually don't keep em.

Got bored with all the Bonito so we headed for the 302. Lots of boats working the area. We found probably a dozen paddies today with only 1 holding a handful of yellowtail. Unfortunately I saw it too late and pretty much ran that one over. Of course it was the the one holding fish. But it was a long slog all around the 302, up to the 226, back to the 9 with dry paddy after dry paddy for us.

Weather conditions were awesome, was pretty flat all day.

View attachment 1284457

View attachment 1284458
    Fresh bonehead sashimi. Bled and on ice immediately. Sliced thin, soy sauce, and wasabi.

6DA3CB1E-3B7D-4ECB-8098-93E481DCF150.jpeg

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
    Agree with what everyone says Bones got a bad rap for some reason,they are outstanding table fair.
    Those bigger models will go home with me for sure

Upvote 0