Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Anybody seen one of these anywhere? Supply Chain issues!

Reactions: jiggermyster

hronk

Almost A Member
Jul 26, 2005
Bishop
Name
Bob
Boat
19' Tracker
You can use mine 'til you find one. I used it on 5 of my Bluefin., 25-50lbs. The other 2 were on my 40. 90 and 125lbs

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
You can use mine 'til you find one. I used it on 5 of my Bluefin., 25-50lbs. The other 2 were on my 40. 90 and 125lbs
What line do you fish on yours?, I bought one a month or so ago, not sure what I want to do with it, I already have a Torque 15XNLD2 with 50lb spectra and 40lb leader.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Thanks, Bob. I have a line on one, see where that goes. You got the Narrow one. Lots of options, buddy in San Diego is letting me check out a couple of his rods, too.

Upvote 0

hronk

Almost A Member
Jul 26, 2005
Bishop
Name
Bob
Boat
19' Tracker
I've got the regular one. It casts like a dream especially for a 2 speed. I have it on a 7' Terez, medium, 30-65 braid. reel has 40lb power pro with 50ft of 25lb top shot. I handed off a couple and people were surprised how comfortable yet strong it was.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Isnt narrow version heavier? I heard better to get regular 15 so bait can pull easy
I had the first edition FTH15LD2, made a lot of casts, caught a lot of fish. Drag was getting a little inconsistent as I would set it for, let’s say 10 lbs. The next day it would either be lighter or heavier. Sent it to Cal’s 2 Speed for blueprint service. Fished it a couple more seasons, worked very well for 30 lb. Fishing football size schoolie Yellowfin on the ridge, with those cracker size Sardines, I had a lot of success.

Just changing things up a bit this year, no more dedicated 25 lb outfit, sold the reel, rod is going up for sale in San Diego when I get there next. 800L, can’t afford to ship it. Looking to switch it up and change out a 30 lb rod and a 40 lb rod, from 7’ to 8’ or thereabouts. Lots of choices. And I sold the FTH15LD2, looking forward this next model. Still on the hunt, couple of leads. I should think with the larger diameter it will be easier for the bait to pull line, not harder. And I already have a FTH30LD2, so I’m familiar with the gearing and drags.

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
I had the first edition FTH15LD2, made a lot of casts, caught a lot of fish. Drag was getting a little inconsistent as I would set it for, let’s say 10 lbs. The next day it would either be lighter or heavier. Sent it to Cal’s 2 Speed for blueprint service. Fished it a couple more seasons, worked very well for 30 lb. Fishing football size schoolie Yellowfin on the ridge, with those cracker size Sardines, I had a lot of success.

Just changing things up a bit this year, no more dedicated 25 lb outfit, sold the reel, rod is going up for sale in San Diego when I get there next. 800L, can’t afford to ship it. Looking to switch it up and change out a 30 lb rod and a 40 lb rod, from 7’ to 8’ or thereabouts. Lots of choices. And I sold the FTH15LD2, looking forward this next model. Still on the hunt, couple of leads. I should think with the larger diameter it will be easier for the bait to pull line, not harder. And I already have a FTH30LD2, so I’m familiar with the gearing and drags.
Larger diameter/taller spools usually make it harder on the fish. The line is further away from the center of the spool, require more inertia/torque forces to keep turning. But the taller spool gives more drag surfaces so the drags are stronger.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0

blueefire3

Fishing Noob
Dec 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Name
Prady
Boat
Any Cattle Boat
Drag with 15 is 13 on strike / 16 lb on sunset. Perfect for 25-30 lb outfit. Also, the spool is lighter with a 15 oz weight and wider so easier for bait.

15xn - is basically 40lb super narrow outfit as drag ratings are higher. It's okay as long as you don't need extra line capacity.

I would personally fish 25N for 40lb and 15 for 25-30 lb etc. Just my 2 cents - wrecked my brain a few months back to see what would be best - 15 / 15xn, and later decided to just stick with my avet mxl

• Haha
Steve K
Steve K
Sometimes happens to me, Analysis Paralysis.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Ammo Bros has a few.
Hey, thanks. They had one, in one store, Santa Ana.
Now, they have none as apparently I scored the only one.

Maybe the place to check for hard to find stuff, as Ammo doesn’t seem to bring in the average angler.

And just ordered 300 M spool of 40 lb J Braid. Yes, its white.

Last edited:
Reactions: bimini
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Ammo Bros has a few.
And put in a good word for customer service from Scott at the Santa Ana store. Guided me through how it would go down, all shipping is done by the warehouse. Inquired when did I need it. Then, a couple hours later he called to make sure everything went well. Worth a second look, Ammo Bros, five stores.

Ammo Brothers

Advertiser
Advertiser
Sep 22, 2020
California
www.ammobros.com
Name
Scott Emmett
Boat
n/a
And put in a good word for customer service from Scott at the Santa Ana store. Guided me through how it would go down, all shipping is done by the warehouse. Inquired when did I need it. Then, a couple hours later he called to make sure everything went well. Worth a second look, Ammo Bros, five stores.
Appreciate the kind words Steve! We are very fortunate to have Scott as part of our crew!

Enjoy your new toy!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
So, reel and braid arrived. I chose wisely, this is a great little reel. The 300 meter spool of 40 lb braid was the perfect choice, filling it to the point where there’s just enough room for a topshot of 30 lb mono. Stoked, can’t wait to fish it.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
Larger diameter/taller spools usually make it harder on the fish. The line is further away from the center of the spool, require more inertia/torque forces to keep turning. But the taller spool gives more drag surfaces so the drags are stronger.
The further the line is from the of the spool, the easer to pull - that's the reason that drag goes up as the line goes down. The problem is that the farther weight is from the center of the reel, the harder it is to change it's velocity, and the narrower reel will have more weight further away from the center - basically, a flywheel. I love my Torque 15XNLD2 - it fits my hands very well and casts as well as I can.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Larger diameter/taller spools usually make it harder on the fish. The line is further away from the center of the spool, require more inertia/torque forces to keep turning.

This one snuck past me; the opposite is true.
The more "full" a spool is, the easier it is for the spool to turn.

Reactions: solid72 and Steve K
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Cha-Ching! :)

Upvote 0