Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Got in this morning from our 8 day trip on the Searcher. As always the boat was in great shape and the crew did an outstanding job. The weather gods did not smile on us early, so we didn't get all he time in at the Guadalupe that we'd hoped for, but the fish we did catch there were quality critters. In the time we had to fish there were 4 yellowfins over 100 lbs boated and the biggest was at 120. My biggest was 85 lbs, so I'm going to have to wait until next year for another try at the century mark, but it was my biggest fish caught to date. We got some nice yellowtails and well with the biggest in the 40 lb range. My biggest yellowtail was 33 lbs, and again was the largest of those I've caught. So, although I didn't come away from the island with my 100 pounder, I did manage two new personal bests. Yellowfins were caught fly lining sardines or mackerel on 60 or 80 lb line with circle hooks in the 1-2/0 range, larger when using the mackerels, and we saw zero sharks. When we left the island and headed for the coast it got a bit "sporty" and everyone got a lot of practice holding on to things as they walked.

Captain Mike worked hard finding fish for us closer to shore, and although the size of the fish wasn't the same as out at the island, he found us a couple very good yellowfin and yellowtail bites that afforded everybody the chance to fill tags. Fish were caught fly lining sardines and yo yoing, with scrambled egg and green/yellow being the preferred colors. We had a couple hours to fish yesterday morning before we had to head back to Ensenada to check in and some folks were able to fill more tags with some very nice rock fish.

Bottom line is we all had a good time, we all caught fish, and the captain and crew worked hard to make it happen. I'm already looking forward to next year.

D1 010.jpg
D1 014.jpg
D1 016.jpg
DSCF3692.JPG
DSCF3698.JPG
DSCF3707.JPG
DSCF3695.JPG
D8 011.jpg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT Report/Info/Pics Gene. NICE FISH!
    Looks like you all made the most of lines
    in the water. Some ugly weather early.
    Glad you all had a good fall trip.

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Thanks for a fine report.
    Going on those ultra limited load trips is expensive, but I thought it was well worth it, especially if you only can go once a year.
    I found Mike to be a very good Captain. His crew is well versed, friendly and always on station ready to help out.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Nice pile of fish and congrats on the two new personal bests!! Being able to make lemonade out of lemons can make or break a longrange fisherman

Upvote 0

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    Thanks for the timely report! I leave Friday for a 10 day. Last report the big island was a bit tough. I’m hoping for one of those slug YT. I even defrosted my freezer although I’ll keep my processing bill down and not bring home much.

Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner
    Great haul of fish! Can't imagine fighting with YT that have shoulders like a water buffalo. Lupe would be such an amazing place to fish. Next year I'm booked for my first LR trip and I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas. Haven't been this excited since my wife was pregnant.

Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    Thanks all. Yeah, the weather at the island wasn't "optimal", but the captain and crew busted their butts and did everything in their power to give us the best opportunities possible. Would I have liked to have more time at the island? Sure, but it was what it was and I have absolutely ZERO complaints about the trip. With the conditions presented I could not possibly have asked for any better results. I'm booked on the same trip next year, and barring death I'll be there every year from now on. What a wonderful time it's been. :-)

Upvote 0