jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
BG is soft and subtle. Good for fishing bait.
Izor is cable. [at FH a decade ago] the sixty breaks right at a hundred.

Whatever you buy, spend some time getting confident with it.
Tie your knot and break some line. That's how hard you can pull when you're on a fish.

Reactions: stephen campbell
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    First let's state that ALL mono is NOT EQUAL. Each brand has its weaknesses.... and as some see it...its strengths.

IZORLINE is fine....but it "over tests" .... ridiculously. Not 10%...not 20% but 30% to 40%. To me that's ridiculous. If I wanted 60# that breaks at 100#.... I would buy #80 or #100 instead....by CHOICE. ALL of Berkely's lines overtest considerably. Again why?

IZORLINE is what I consider "1 fish line". After months of both field testing and in the lab.... I found quite a few things I didn't like.

Let's talk "retentivity" .... the ability to hold its shape / length and recover in a timely manner after fighting a fish. POOR. It actually changes molecularly..... clouding and stretching to a point of brittleness. The loss of over 40% of its tensile strength....on break tests.... after that first fish.... is not a characteristic I prefer. This has caused many a jig to be lost by unsuspecting anglers....in the whip of the cast....due to that brittleness. So....1 fish and its done....PERIOD.

BIG GAME.... I've lost track of the number of times the "formula" used by BERKELEY has changed for this line over the years. Overtests as bad as IZORLINE. Its hard.... but once that tough surface is breached.... its like a jelly bean. Just my experience.

I prefer to compare DIAMETERS.... not manufacturers "listed strengths". For fun next time you go to the FH Show.... bring your own micrometer.... and ask to measure the size of the lines right there...in the booth....lol. Youll see a lot if "nervous" tackle reps for sure. Catch them in their own lie....they hate it.

My personal line of choice is P-LINE. Strong.... holds a knot well..... casts well every time.... has good retentivity (recovery). Has better than average tensile strength for the diameter and "listed size" size. Great abrasion resistance... depending on the type you buy. (3 - 4 variations). Doesnt change molecularly....after just 1 fish!!! Rarely clouds. Has a good price point as well. Best fishing value for your money.... and consistant.... spool after spool.

One last yet important consideration. You want FRESH line. Not old....UV and heat overexposed... been in the store for a year or two.... got sunlight every afternoon until Sold..... type of line. Know your retailer. Small or large.... they control many things effecting the quality of your next line purchase. If you consider some 2 or 3 pound spools could fill your reels numerous times in a season.... your choice will be around to help or haunt you for NUMEROUS TRIPS.....GOOD OR BAD. Buy wisely....from those you know and trust.

Your rod and your reel are important...but the mono you choose and use daily is one of the greatest factors effecting your angling success. Try many. Narrow it down to a few. Choose the right one. Good luck brother.

One last thing brother....remember every good quality....a line of choice exhibits.... is compromised to achieve that result. There is NO "GOD" LINE. Also didnt mention that I have personally been in 3 of the big 5 mono factories "worldwide".... in my fishing career.... gathering this knowledge. Tested 10's of thousands of samples on lab calibrated machines. Was surprised by some....flabbergasted by others.. Its served me well throughout my fishing career.

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Alright woodfish, how much did P-line pay you?

Just messin with ya! Interesting bit of knowledge, maybe this season I’ll test your findings.

Reactions: woodfish330

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Light line I like Ande up to 30Lb, then izor for 50-80, 100 130 momoi hi catch. For throwing jigs tournament Ande 50lb, breaks at 50 or below, ties a good knot and less memory than most others I've used

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    For those two uses Big Game. Large diameter and over tests for its class but reasonably supple for the diameter and takes abuse well.

I have had trouble breaking off 20lb BG by just locking it down and walking down the deck. Stuff just would not break.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    When I use mono I always just go with berkley big game. It's cheap readily available and it works.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    Berkley big game and Stren Magnathin are my mono of choice. I've used Ande for rockfish with no complaints.

Izor is among the best.

I effing hate p-line! Too much damn memory and it swells (too damn much) when wet.

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Well when it comes to PLine down to 2lb and 4lb test for trout......theirs is hella hella strong unlike any other brand. If this is the case for their lowest test, their heavier test should be test way over their railings.

For the past 40 years I’ve only used PLine for fresh water and Izor for all my 20-200. I’ve used Izor 20# XXX all these years for the Catalina/Clemente yellows and you can fish a really stupid tight drag and will be surprised how hard you can pull with a long rod. Think of it as “come in or come off”.

I’m gonna try the PLine 40/50 # as my short top shots for throwing surface iron after reading some interesting info on some of your postings.

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0