ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
texas
Name
zac divine
Boat
walkaround
Hello,

First post! I am looking for opinions on which boat you'd pick between these 2. If you have experience with either one that would be great.

-1997 proline 251wa w/2006 evinrude etec 250 ttop with hardtop no electronics
- 2003 seapro 255wa w 2006 yamaha 250. ttop with canvas top lowrance gps

im leaning torward the proline beacuse i do like the cabin layout better. Both are about the same price $22K

Thank you for your opinions good, bad or ugly

Zac

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Here is a post/reply that offers no solution.
I think the Proline is a better boat, the Seapro has the better motor.
Good luck, choose wisely.

Reactions: jbrincks and plj46
Upvote 0

ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
texas
Name
zac divine
Boat
walkaround
Oh jeez.....i was so close to buying that boat. Glad i asked. I really like the 251. I think ill wait until i find one.

theres another one for sale near me but its got a pretty good gouge in the fiber glass near the keel. It has a mercury verado on it. Missing the cowling. I wrote it off because it seems he didnt take good care of it.

Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    i think seapro btr build quality but similar. not really that important tho. u really need to look carefully at any boat that age. condition of engine, fuel tank n lines, steering, wiring, deck, transom all cud be big/expensive issues. a gouge in gelgoat or even in the glass is no big deal in my book. ask someone to go w u n look at boat if not exp w what to look for, or hire marine surveyor.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    sea pro have foamed in tanks will leak in a few years..... my friend had one.... he said they have a history of leaky tanks...

Upvote 0

a7ewizard

Almost A Member
    Jun 4, 2009
    SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
    Name
    WARREN WEISENBURG
    Boat
    251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
    I've owned my 251 since new 1998. Still going strong after an I/O to OB conversion with about 3800 total engine hours.
    Not a single structural nor fuel tank issue.
    I'm biased. I know nothing about Sea Pros. I will tell you from my personal experience, if you are an avid fisherman, you will want the hardtop for its rod holders and to mount a radar. So, factor that into your pricing.
    I would factor in an engine replacement to the PL price. Run the Etec until it dies for good or reliability issues do you in.

Upvote 0

ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
    texas
    Name
    zac divine
    Boat
    walkaround
    I've owned my 251 since new 1998. Still going strong after an I/O to OB conversion with about 3800 total engine hours.
    Not a single structural nor fuel tank issue.
    I'm biased. I know nothing about Sea Pros. I will tell you from my personal experience, if you are an avid fisherman, you will want the hardtop for its rod holders and to mount a radar. So, factor that into your pricing.
    I would factor in an engine replacement to the PL price. Run the Etec until it dies for good or reliability issues do you in.
    i've read so many accounts like yours that its hard to argue with. Im sold on the 251. I knew i was before i posted.

I definitely want a hardtop too. fishing is the only reason for the purchase!

Upvote 0

ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
    texas
    Name
    zac divine
    Boat
    walkaround
    Ok i found a 1997 251 w/ twin yamaha 150 hdpi on it. looks pretty nice. they want $26k for it.

thoughts?

Obviously a closer inspection is in order.

Upvote 0

jbrincks

Sep 3, 2020
    Novato CA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Brincks
    As others said, wait and find a Pro-line. But I'm biased also, we have a 97 2950 that was just repowered.

How many hours on the twin 150 HDPI's?

Upvote 0

ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
    texas
    Name
    zac divine
    Boat
    walkaround
    As others said, wait and find a Pro-line. But I'm biased also, we have a 97 2950 that was just repowered.

How many hours on the twin 150 HDPI's?
    Still waiting to hear from seller on a few things. "Lows hours" is whats stated in the Ad.

looks like the total dry weight with these motors is 5250 lbs. does that sound about right? Hopefully this deal works out. Its been really tough getting sellers to be responsive.

Upvote 0

ZSD

Jul 10, 2021
    texas
    Name
    zac divine
    Boat
    walkaround
    Im on Lake texoma in north texas. I may know the boat you refer to. Ive been looking across the entire south. Definitely send it my way if youve found one. Id appreciate it.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0