Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
It will be swept under the rug like the Invicta,prowler,Pacifica and bow the conception
NFW

This is an embarrassment to the regulators and the government. The governors friend was killed.

It isn’t acceptable to them that 34 people die while on anchor due to a fire and none of the crew noticed it or did a thing to fight it or save them. That dog ain’t gonna hunt.

They are going to make an example of them because what happened here has to be a violation of the regs or the regs are literally a joke. That dynamic was obvious from the first news reports. There is no chance this gets swept under the rug.

Done_Deal

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
I wonder if owners of private boats, such as a 40' Cabo, in the event of an accident could be subject to these Seaman's Manslaughter charges if they failed to do any of the following:
1) Know how to apply variation and deviation to their vessel's magnetic compass
2) Post a compass deviation card at the helm of their vessel
3) Have their compass adjusted annually and post the results
4) Carry charts and publications for the area in which they are operating
5) Update those charts and publications per the USCG Local Weekly Notice to Mariners
6) Post corrections made to those charts and publications
7) Be tested and certified for the operation of the vessel's radar
8) Be able to conduct rapid radar plotting and collision avoidance
9) Label all PFDs with the vessel's name
10) Attach a PML to each PFD
11) Annually inspect each PFD
12) Maintain PMLs within period of operation
13) Clearly mark any storage of PFDs
14) Post PFD donning instructions
15) Clearly mark all escape hatches
16) Clearly mark all fire extinguishers
17) Service and maintain extinguishers annually
etc, etc, etc

This is just a short list. Failure to do any of the above would make you a threat to general public safety and hazard to navigation. Certainly a possible candidate for Seaman's Manslaughter. Wow a 40' yacht like that, you could probably take 20-25 clients on a Xmas cruise. Of course you'd have sufficient PFDs for all. Heck, you may even have inflatable life rafts. What are their capacities? Have you ever launched one? Have you been trained in their use? How often do you have them serviced?
While I am not an attorney I do know enough to know that, based on your post, you do not have so much as a clue as to what constitutes conditions that would impart criminal liability on the part of a non-licensed, recreational operator.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I have no idea but judging people, incidents and outcomes without facts is bullshit. I disagree with that no matter what "off chance" there may be. If I was to guess, I'd say you're in the legal business....if I'm wrong, then it proves my point on speculation.

Really? All you ever do is defend the indefensible without regard for the facts. You’re a sycophant for the industry.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I wonder if owners of private boats, such as a 40' Cabo, in the event of an accident could be subject to these Seaman's Manslaughter charges if they failed to do any of the following:
1) Know how to apply variation and deviation to their vessel's magnetic compass
2) Post a compass deviation card at the helm of their vessel
3) Have their compass adjusted annually and post the results
4) Carry charts and publications for the area in which they are operating
5) Update those charts and publications per the USCG Local Weekly Notice to Mariners
6) Post corrections made to those charts and publications
7) Be tested and certified for the operation of the vessel's radar
8) Be able to conduct rapid radar plotting and collision avoidance
9) Label all PFDs with the vessel's name
10) Attach a PML to each PFD
11) Annually inspect each PFD
12) Maintain PMLs within period of operation
13) Clearly mark any storage of PFDs
14) Post PFD donning instructions
15) Clearly mark all escape hatches
16) Clearly mark all fire extinguishers
17) Service and maintain extinguishers annually
etc, etc, etc

This is just a short list. Failure to do any of the above would make you a threat to general public safety and hazard to navigation. Certainly a possible candidate for Seaman's Manslaughter. Wow a 40' yacht like that, you could probably take 20-25 clients on a Xmas cruise. Of course you'd have sufficient PFDs for all. Heck, you may even have inflatable life rafts. What are their capacities? Have you ever launched one? Have you been trained in their use? How often do you have them serviced?
Ridiculous.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Every post you've ever made on Bloody Decks is in relation to some kind of boating accident.......why? And why are you blindly blaming the owner of the Conception, knowing zero facts? You know there was a fire and people died. You and Lamo need to take a step back and let it go. I understand regular people being concerned with what and how but you both clearly have an agenda.
That’s not true. I’ve started probably 100 threads on fish reports over the last 12 years. Do your homework before spouting bullshit.

fish4us

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 21, 2012
Escondido/CA/USA
Name
Susan Sloan
Boat
none
I have no idea but judging people, incidents and outcomes without facts is bullshit. I disagree with that no matter what "off chance" there may be. If I was to guess, I'd say you're in the legal business....if I'm wrong, then it proves my point on speculation.
Fact: Richard Neff died on the prowler
Fact: Andrew Viola was the Captain
Fact: Neither boat involved was not at fault
Anything disputable here?
If it happens on the water no one should be held responsible?
If Loomis was held by the Mexican authorities, where the incident took place, in 1999 he would still be sitting in Jail under Napoleonic law.
It is amazing that you and others believe that if it happens on the ocean all should be forgotten and never talked about. More amazing is the mindset that nothing criminal happens on the ocean.
Your paradigm of deflecting and ignoring is being shattered and you seem unaware.

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
That’s not true. I’ve started probably 100 threads on fish reports over the last 12 years. Do your homework before spouting bullshit.
That statement was not directed at you.....so try to keep up.

Reactions: Capt Devo

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Fact: Richard Neff died on the prowler
Fact: Andrew Viola was the Captain
Fact: Neither boat involved was not at fault
Anything disputable here?
If it happens on the water no one should be held responsible?
If Loomis was held by the Mexican authorities, where the incident took place, in 1999 he would still be sitting in Jail under Napoleonic law.
It is amazing that you and others believe that if it happens on the ocean all should be forgotten and never talked about. More amazing is the mindset that nothing criminal happens on the ocean.
Your paradigm of deflecting and ignoring is being shattered and you seem unaware.
I don't believe that at all. I believe that drawing conclusions, making accusations and speculating on something that you know no facts on is irresponsible and suspicious (motive).
I do agree with you regarding the Prowler and or any other boat that runs into something it should not while underway.
We are not talking about that here so don't try to.guess what I think or believe. That's your paradigm....

fish4us

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 21, 2012
Escondido/CA/USA
Name
Susan Sloan
Boat
none
I don't believe that at all. I believe that drawing conclusions, making accusations and speculating on something that you know no facts on is irresponsible and suspicious (motive).
I do agree with you regarding the Prowler and or any other boat that runs into something it should not while underway.
We are not talking about that here so don't try to.guess what I think or believe. That's your paradigm....
Excuse me? Check the topic. This is not the Conception fire thread. This is a thread discussing criminal prosecutions for crimes at sea.

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Excuse me? Check the topic. This is not the Conception fire thread. This is a thread discussing criminal prosecutions for crimes at sea.
Go back and review some of your posts....like "bottom scum owners. Someone needs jail"
That was 100% in response to the Conception. Might need to review Maritime law as well.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Larmo (and you're secretary fish4us) you should be banned for spouting your speculation,trolling for clients/business for your firm,slandering everyone and getting threads closed etc.
@Ali@Jason at least make this asshole buy some adspace if hes going to be allowed to continue.

Sycophant. Can’t stand that no one finds him credible anymore.

We see you.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo

In other words, stop pointing out my pals have no clothes on because it makes me look dumb for defending them all the time.

Pro Tip: can’t remain credible when all you do is defend the indefensible.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
You have got to be kidding me! Bottom scum owners. Someone needs jail.
So you know what happened? If it was a cell phone charging that started the fire should you go after the owner of the cell phone? Engineer who designed it? CEO of the company that built it?

Filing that lawsuit would be normal operating procedure. Many assume that maritime law is just like civil or criminal law. It can be very different.

I am all for the harshest penalties to any that are found responsible for this and any incidents. I also understand that it does not always happen - Epstien in FL a decade or so ago is a good example. That said lets find out what happened first before the crowd lights the torches.

Reactions: Tunacious

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
i do not see anything about someone wanting to sue. It is pretty clear this is about pushing for full on prosecution for killing and maiming people when you are completely in control of whether they get home alive and you fail. Long past the suing stage. Everyone is pretty much over it and wants real penalties for crimes like in th real world
Completely in control?? You don't spend any time on the ocean do you?

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Ridiculous.
Ridiculous. Really? So you shouldn't have to comply with any of those items? That would be ridiculous. Is it also ridiculous that some of your legal compadres have now filed on behalf of the owner's of the Conception to minimize, if not eliminate, any and all of their liability in this tragedy. Appears the bottom feeders have began to feed on each other. Is that ridiculous also?

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
B1B70E0A-93D2-4E3B-A7A0-437906931E65.jpeg
For decades the fleet has covered up, dismissed and has been complicit in all known cases. Pretty sure in many cases it could also be called accessory after the fact or actual accessory to the crimes. Not to mention witness tampering etc. If the precedent had been set back in 1999 with the case of James Heyn or before things would have evolved in a more positive direction. Nope! turn in your ticket and skulk away and all is forgotten. That was the lesson learned then and it evolved into skulk away without turning in your ticket and ignore and rebuke negative commentary and wait out the controversy. Rename, rebuke and pretend. Welcome to fantasy Island. Tattoo will be greeting you at the dock.

Reactions: fish4us

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
I hope the status of the roving patrol/night watchman, or the lack there of, is soon resolved. That absolutely remains an issue. The remainder are simply legal swords thrown by Larmo in hopes of striking something.

BTW - Pants are removed when jumping overboard to aid in swimming. Secondly, mariners are also trained to use them for floatation. Again, READING COMPREHENSION. Try practicing it.

Do you actually think it is "ridiculous" for a private boater to learn how to interpret radar targets and their potential risk of collision? Now that is truly one dumb assed, ignorant statement.

Reactions: Tunacious
Status
Not open for further replies.