Sealine for yoyo

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Johnny Hirn, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    i was thinking of making another setup for yoyo for my friends to use when they fishing with me. Do you guys think that a sealine 30sha would have the drag and line capacity to bring up anything from those big Channel Islands homeguards to those catalina yellowtail?
    Tight lines,
    Johnny

2. funnyguy

funnyguy Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19 foot Trophy CC
    Hello,

It will work but I like something with a little more drag and an aluminum frame for yoyoing. You can pick up a used Fathom 25n for around the price of a new 30sha.

Chris

3. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Ideally i would want something like that, but i already have an extra sealine 30. I was considering trading someone my 30sha for the 50sha because it has a little more drag and more line capacity. Does frame really make a difference? @funnyguy
    Tight lines,
    Johnny

4. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    In my opion, the sealine is not suited well for fishing anything over 40# and that is even on the edge. This alone makes it a borderline choice for yoyo which i prefer to do with 50# if there is any structure which they love to run for. I do love these reels and even have one i fish 40# on a jigstick, but it does have upgraded drags. If you do go that route, this upgrade would be wise indeed.

5. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    Put a 5 disc stack and it will work fine. There are several places that you can find a thinner washer and use carbon drags and it will work great as an extra for a guest.

I have a 400H that I converted to a 7 stack and and the drag and it has 20+ lbs.
    That said, a good old 4/0 Senator works great too and you can find those well under $50. 400H is actually a better reel. Stainless steel, double dogged etc.
    they are tanks and only some new drags and they make a great dropper loop reel with a ton of line capacity as well.

6. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    This is a 30# reel like Let me eat 74 says and I agree with his assesement.
    Doesn't mean you cannot beef it up and not spend any money and use it.

7. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Ok thanks guys @funnyguy @Let em eat 74 @tgorman. I will most likely upgrade the drag because i don't have the money to buy a fathom or torium etc unless someone wants to throw one my way for a trade or something:beerbang::D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. funnyguy

funnyguy Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    19 foot Trophy CC
    Johnny,

Definitely do the drag upgrade if you don't have the money for something a little better suited for yoyoing. A lot of big fish have been landed on sealines, there's a reason why they still making them.

I have an Avet HX 4.2 I want to trade or sell if your interested. Shoot me a pm.

Chris

9. scfisher

scfisher Make it count !

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    Not yet
    I upgraded mine with carbontex drags, ( 40 size sealine reel) . Hard to let go because of all the fish landed on it. I don't fish it much lately. But it has caught plenty of yellows yoyoing or dropper loop. I have pushed the reel. Don't reccomend it. But has held up fishing it at the edge of its higher drag settlings. It has gotten the job done repeatedly. At least get a 40 size sealine with upgraded drags. Or Saltist 35 or 40 that has carbon fiber drags already.

10. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Problem with Sealines is just not enough torque. Great casting and freespooling reels, but they don't 'grind' fish to the boat well. However if it's a loaner... they get what they get!