Seaguar Threadlock braid

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by darrenforeal, Nov 17, 2013.

1. darrenforeal

darrenforeal Say no to bad info

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    36' Uniflite
    This stuff is legit. I spooled up the majority of my big fish reels with some Seaguar Threadlock 130lb hollow 16 strand braid I picked up. The first thing I noticed was how smooth it was and it had a really good feel to it. Then I started to work with it and it splices very well and is super easy to work with.

[​IMG]

The diameter listed on the spool is .570mm. I sent Paulus a sample about 2 weeks ago, so I expect to have diameter #s and breaking strength #s soon. Below is a quote from Basil on a thread he started, and this echos everything I have experienced.

Okay, real world testing. I put this 130 on my Mak 30SEa, Mak 50 and Mak 20SEa. It felt good when flylining and on the sinker rig. Smooth and not rough, and seemed to go through the water just fine. I was lucky enough to tie into a heavy on my Mak 20 and this fish was big and mean. It never really took any long screaming runs, but did take a good amount of line off. But this fish saved its energy and dogged me for a long time. Get 20 cranks, he takes them back. Rinse repeat.

I was fishing with a 25ft wind-on of Seaguar Premier 130lb and my drag was set to 34lbs at strike on a straight pull. However, at one point during the fight when the fish was still taking line in full and with me gripping the spool, I put the reel in freespool and gave the drag preset two little turns. Back into full and gripping the spool. I was pulling very very hard and giving my gear and myself all it could take. We measured the drag at full on my reel when all said and done, and it bottomed out the 50lb scale. In any case, the braid held up just fine. After a 2 hour plus fight I was blessed with a beautiful yft that taped out at 288lbs. This fish came to the boat still pretty fresh and never really got on it's side like a well behaved tuna. He was pretty much a dick during the last 45 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round 2. My buddy Ash ties into a good one on the plunker rig right at sundown. He was fishing his Mak 30SEa with the Seaguar Threadlock 130 braid as well that I spooled on. I believe he had a Izorline 135lb mono topshot. This fish is also a mean fucker and did some weird things in the dark. Ash also put a lot of pressure on his gear landing this fish and the fight ended successfully with a beautiful 255lber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah... it works and works well. These fish abused this stuff and it held up great. I'll add the info from Paulus as soon as I get it. But regardless, I plan to fish this stuff a lot more!

For those interested here is the link to more pictures of our trip and the great report Erika wrote: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/522155-Maximus-3-5-day-trip-(2-of-5)

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    New stuff... Interested how well it tests and price.

3. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Basil is selling it at the same price he charges for JB Line One. There may be some slight variation, but that seems to be the base line.

4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So many great choices these days. Interested in reading the test results from Paulus. Data analysis is interesting if you look for relationships between 12 strand and 16 strand hollow spectra and his two diameter measurements, height and width. Some lays flatter than others. Wider, not as tall.

5. conchydong

conchydong Untitled

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Rock Bottom

Paulus might be a little behind on his testing as he had some health issues and hopefully is on the road to a speedy recovery.

6. darrenforeal

darrenforeal Say no to bad info

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    36' Uniflite
    Paulus just got back to me. He said he won't have time to test it for another 2 weeks. But as soon as I find out I will let y'all know.

7. harddrive

harddrive I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None

Thanks for the report. Having options are good.

8. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    I've been using it making some top shots, and I really like it.