CA Halibut,DoDos,YT,Albies,Rockfish,Lings,Crappie
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    🚤
    Going to be in the Seacliff Beach area end of July. I have never surf fished.
    Would really be appreciative of any info that you guys could share. I have been planning to do this for a long while, but something always gets in the way. :(
    So
    • best tide(s)?
    • morning and/or evening?
    • sand crabs as bait, or something else?
    • Carolina rig or something else?
    I really appreciate the help. :)

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Berkeley gulp sand worm in camo. Carolina rig or drop shot, sand crabs will work too, try to find soft shell ones. I like crack of dawn and don’t really consider the tides just like it early when not many people around.

Eastcapedon

Almost A Member
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Jose California
    Name
    Donald
    Boat Name
    Independence
    Going to be in the Seacliff Beach area end of July. I have never surf fished.
    Would really be appreciative of any info that you guys could share. I have been planning to do this for a long while, but something always gets in the way. :(
    So
    • best tide(s)?
    • morning and/or evening?
    • sand crabs as bait, or something else?
    • Carolina rig or something else?
    I really appreciate the help. :)
    Carolina rig braid main line to 2.5 foot section 8# mono to Gamakatsu #8 baitholder.
    Kalins motor oil grub.
    1 oz. sliding egg sinker to get it way out there for possibility of a striper, jacksmelt or croaker.
    Slow retrieve on the bottom. BSP will be in the surf zone.
    I also prefer early AM for less people but incoming to high tide is best to me.
    Watch for diving birds close to shore and fish there otherwise fish your way down the beach until you find the honey hole. :-)

Reactions: Tifoso

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
    Jul 3, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Paul
    Boat Name
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    Crack of dawn surf fishing, I have noticed, at the crack of sunrise, right when the sun hits the water, bite can go off. Especially if moon apogee or parigee is occurring .

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat Name
    Kayak & Kickboat
    By the pier can be good. Also South by the Aptos Creek mouth, for Surf Perch and Leopard Shark. That time of year might be early for Halibut to be in the corner by the NBSB North of there. Threshers have also been caught in the corner. The guys on the Capitola Pier usually have decent intel for those who buy something.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    You dont need to buy anything from Capitola Boat and Bait for info. If you want halibut you might want to rent a skiff from them. Tons of bait to catch and straight out from pier is a good bet.

Perch can be anywhere. Depends on swell and tides. I usually do better perching down by Hidden Beach. There's some structure out there that is pretty consistent.

Any where from New Brighton to Seascape. Bring a bigger rod and plugs for stripers if you want. They are starting to come in..

Upvote 0

Tifoso

CA Halibut,DoDos,YT,Albies,Rockfish,Lings,Crappie
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    🚤
    You dont need to buy anything from Capitola Boat and Bait for info. If you want halibut you might want to rent a skiff from them. Tons of bait to catch and straight out from pier is a good bet.

Perch can be anywhere. Depends on swell and tides. I usually do better perching down by Hidden Beach. There's some structure out there that is pretty consistent.

Any where from New Brighton to Seascape. Bring a bigger rod and plugs for stripers if you want. They are starting to come in..
    Stripers are intriguing.
    What kind of plugs do you use? Just a couple of names would be ok. :)
    18” minimum, right?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Go to the harbor to bayside marine, they’ll have what you need. He usually posts a fishing report daily which can be helpful

Upvote 0

Latest Articles