Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Hmmm a couple weeks ago I got two on squid one on a mackerel, one on a herring and four on swimbaits......

herring? Really....

Upvote 0

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Trophy Pro 2302WA , Hobie Pro Angler 12
I don't know what the big deal is? Why would you fish for them anyway?

"SEABASS ARE GAY!"

Don't get your panties in a bunch this is a pic from last year.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Dang, I was hoping to connect on any given Saturday.

On a half day boat.

Out of Newport, dude.

With tired anchovies.

With an upside down spinning reel.

And a rig involving a pyramid sinker.

Hey, I'm sure it's happened.

Just not to me.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
New moon is today. Fishing for C-bass 3 -5 on the backside of it is good (3-5 before the full = better ). Haven't been out in over a year (seabass are so two years ago ;) ) but it's basically the same spots every year that the fish set up on like mentioned above. If it where me I'd set up on any of the usual spots, Mateo ,the Creek , or run north to Crystal cove or Newport Reef. Fish the macks . Setting up is huge so pay attention to current direction and tides. Fish the top side of the structure and cover all depths. Also not sure when your going but in a couple days tides look to be setting up for a good morning bite and a good evening bite. Good luck and I hope you pop a super tanker.

I'm hoping for a north of the border tuna marlin season !!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Good luck. I was hoping to make it to the back side today for the evening and Wednesday gray bite, but could not work out the time frame. Hope you find them. Thursday should be beautiful.
New moon is today. Fishing for C-bass 3 -5 on the backside of it is good (3-5 before the full = better ). Haven't been out in over a year (seabass are so two years ago ;) ) but it's basically the same spots every year that the fish set up on like mentioned above. If it where me I'd set up on any of the usual spots, Mateo ,the Creek , or run north to Cristal cove or Newport Reef. Fish the macks . Setting up is huge so pay attention to current direction and tides. Fish the top side of the structure and cover all depths. Also not sure when your going but in a couple days tides look to be setting up for a good morning bite and a good evening bite. Good luck and I hope you pop a super tanker.

I'm hoping for a north of the border tuna marlin season !!!!!!

^Good luck. I was hoping to make it to the back side today for the evening and Wednesday gray bite, but could not work out the time frame with my friend to make the trip work.... Hope you find them. Thursday should be beautiful.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Good luck. I was hoping to make it to the back side today for the evening and Wednesday gray bite, but could not work out the time frame. Hope you find them. Thursday should be beautiful.

^Good luck. I was hoping to make it to the back side today for the evening and Wednesday gray bite, but could not work out the time frame with my friend to make the trip work.... Hope you find them. Thursday should be beautiful.
We were on the reef this morning at 3am and by 730am wind was like 30 knts went for the barn should lay down by Friday

Upvote 0

UnReel

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
a 50 and a 60# posted on Jd's. they are around. cant get'em if you don't try

Reactions: Heather Rae
Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
All these comedians.... Instead of being a super cool fishing dick, maybe help a new guy out. We were all new guys once....

1. Get Wisch and/or Haywards books and learn
2. Get on a trip with known Cbass killers - Dreamer, Railtime or Mardiosa for Catalina - Hayward, Trompass, Duane or Brightenburg for Coastal fishing. Pay attention to all the details and ask questions.
3. Get a good group of guys that put time in on the water and share info.
4. Make yourself available to go on SHORT notice. They are a fickle fish and you gotta be there when they bite. You can't just go seabass fishing on every saturday and hope to get them. You need to be there when they chew.

Everyone wants you to think catching cbass is all about skill. Sorry, but for most people it's not. It's like catfishing. You just need to know where and when the catfish are in most cases.

There are some guys that put in tons of time and just have the knack like those mentioned above. For the rest of us, it's really about good info and being able to go when they bite.

Unfortunately no one (myself included) is going to post up where and when here or on any public forum.

a 50 and a 60# posted on Jd's. they are around. cant get'em if you don't try

On Mackeral....

BTW Orange County bit today.

Will(?) post pics of 2 we got today.... P.J., you know who you are!!!! Qwik shout to Tony and Rob! Sorry we didn't call you..... Windy as hell, lots of commotion around the better spots. NOTHING on squish! Bat ray, shark, released.... Yep.... Local it is on finbait! Use the bigger stuff!!! Carry on with yo' bad ass know it all selves! Water was turning after the 30+mph offshore!!! lots of finbait! Hopefully when this blow dies down a little there will be some mix of squish and 'chovie! Just a hint... Wasn't newport reef...... A short ride outta H.H. and to the right...

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
[quote="drumford, post: 3403361, member: Just a hint... Wasn't newport reef...... A short ride outta H.H. and to the right...[/quote]

That would be under Nachos :D

Reactions: oozacgt
Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
[quote="drumford, post: 3403361, member: Just a hint... Wasn't newport reef...... A short ride outta H.H. and to the right...

That would be under Nachos :D[/quote]

Uuuummmmm....... NOPE!!!! You're NOT thinking in the RIGHT direction!!!! Ya gotta bust harbor first Lil' Buddy!!! If you want the compass direction and speed, I MIGHT give ya a little
hint!?!?!?!? Not to difficult to find, ..... Just gotta set up right. Position, position, position! Oh, wait.... That's what SHE said!!!!! NO squish!!!! Finbait!!!! I'll leave this one to the guys that KNOW!!!!! I only got lucky. By maintaining a good relationship w/ a FEW!! COOL M-Fer's here!!!!! Thanx! and you know who you are!....

Upvote 0