Sea Trek out of Helgren's????

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Vermonster, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Anyone ever fish it???? Hoping to get out tomorrow (Tuesday 21st) on a private boat, but if nobody has a spot, was thinking of just running over to Oceanside and hopping on that 3/4 day trip. With most of the tuna being spread out up and down the coast, I would think there would be a decent chance to get into them. Looking at the past couple of week, it looks like they'll have a couple of days of 1 fish per angler, then a couple days of only 1 fish for the whole boat.......LOL

Boat not great, or inconsistent bite, or what? Worth hopping on if it's just down the road and only $75? Like I said, love to find a private boat to go looking for tuna and tails, but preparing myself in case I can't. Not even sure if they have spots available, waiting for a call back.

Thanks......

2. ckster

ckster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    F/V Rubber Ducky
    Lotta ppl here on bdo call it the sea wreck but the previous captain is no longer on the boat so things might be different now. :confused:

But if you end up going, please update us on the :_diarrhea_: situation. :D

3. Xen

Xen Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    N/a
    Ok, last year I went paddy hopping on it with the old captain......didn't get one fish, but not cause we weren't on the bite. Because the crew and even the cook was hogging the rail drift side so only a few paying customers actually hooked up. However, when rockfish season reopened this year, I decided to take my wife on her first trip and let her catch that fever. (Mainly so I can justify going more, lol) The new captain is excellent! Was talking to him for awhile before I even realized he as the captain. Very down to earth and personable and attentive to the anglers and the needs. Awesome deck crew. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about the new captain and crew. Huge upgrade. Would definitely recommend trying the 3/4 day. If they are biting he will do all he can to put you on them! Hope this helps!

4. Fishin_Buddy

Fishin_Buddy Member

Name:
    Seth
    Boat:
    Bangarang
    Go for it! I haven't been on the Sea Trek since it changed hands in the wheel house, but I wouldn't hesitate to go. Can't beat the price!

5. Vermonster

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Ok, I didn't realize there was an 8 page thread on this already, so I am doing my reading..... LOL. If someone has been on it since the new captain took over, I'd appreciate some input, maybe by PM.....

6. Gab909

Gab909 Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    dammit
    Did you make it on the Boat? The Sea Trek? I had a Pretty good time, but it was loaded when I went. 28 plus the crew fishing. Deck hand was the first to hook and land a fish. Stopped a few times, got a few fish. Captain did a good job chasing down some fish and trying to stay away from everyone. Loaded with skiffs out there and within 10 minutes of us stopping boats were running up on us. It is what it is, a 3/4 day boat that has a lot of people not knowing where their bait is. I will say this, those guys know how to get tangles out. If you know what you are doing, run to the bow and stay away from the mess at the back of the boat, you will be fine.

7. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    "Deck hand was the first to hook and land a fish"

That kind of says it all right there........it would be a little better if it said hook and hand, but not much.

marlyn, Bubba and kantstudien like this.
  8. Vermonster

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Didn't go. Went on a half day on a boat I knew and trusted down south. Had a great trip.

9. calisnowhunter

calisnowhunter Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    18' westcoaster SOLD
    Shawn is the new capt he used to be the 2nd on the toronado good capt nice guy his crew is good. Not sure about the deckhands fishing first thing surprised Shawn puts up with that

10. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I just found out that my father in law (lives in Oceanside) booked us on this boat for Friday.....sold out trip, should be interesting.
    It looks like they average about 6 fish a trip...

11. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    So about the Sea Trek.
    Went out with 36 and it was crowded.
    They worked hard to get us fish. Chunking constantly.
    No crew fishing except the cook made some casts.
    We got 25 of the nice grade yellowfin. I'd say less then half the boat had there baits anywhere near where they needed to be or we would have done much better.
    I got 2 and my kid got 1. Ours were straight flyline but I know one of the regulars was fishing a 1 oz torpedo on the rubber band and got 2 as well.
    They filleted fish in between stops and put them on ice in big 2 gallon zip locks. What a concept!
    They fished hard, were respectful and cool dudes. I would fish with them again in a heartbeat.....but not on a sold out trip.

Shawn needs to practice his gaffing...............:)

432568 likes this.
  12. 432568

432568 Newbie

Name:
    John Young
    Boat:
    SSMINNOW
    Sean is a 1st class Skipper. I knew him since he was a young deck hand on the Fury outta Dana Point. He's not only a super nice guy with his own personable crew, but his is a fishing fool. Not satisfied unless there is blood on the deck. There's been plenty of tourist getting there 1st Tuna or Monster Yellowtail on the Sea Trek this year.

The stuff that went on last year, is not happening this year.

lacostilladan likes this.
  13. 432568

432568 Newbie

Name:
    John Young
    Boat:
    SSMINNOW
    Shawn needs to practice his gaffing...............:)[/QUOTE] Hahahaha

14. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I fished with him and Tyler a couple years ago on the El Dorado (Pt Loma). They were both riding and fishing, not working. It was alot of fun. I knew I recognized him when I got on the boat.
    He almost "struck out" on my second fish the other day.....lol