Status
Not open for further replies.

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
I hopped on the sea trek today with 3 other buddies that never fished offshore. Everyone had limits of rat yellowtail from one giant paddy by the 267.

Pros:

-Only $75 for a 3/4 day (7a-4p) and a chance to catch some tuna

Cons:

-Deckshands fished, smoked non-stop (even when filleting your fish), drank beers between stops, splashed water at each other, no shirt, rude, and very unprofessional

-Bathroom smelled very rancid and was already dirty when I first got on the boat. I'm sure they didn't clean it from the day before.

-Very weak speakers. I did not understand one work the captain said all day.

-Felt very crowded. Not much room to fish and everyone kept casting over my shoulder (including the deckhands that were fishing).

-When metering fish and circling, no chum was thrown.

*** Consider yourself warned

Reactions: TadyHawK and 24pack
Upvote 0

BLOCK

Sep 22, 2005
Oside
Name
BLOCK
Boat
18' Ranger
-deckhand was on the tank every stop and never made a single cast. The cook fished a litl yes. Captain made 3 casts hooked and handed fish to kids and elderly all 3.

-bathroom may hav smelled for a bit cuz lame ass passengers like urself throw up in there on occasion

-nobody from the crew drank anything but thanks for making shit up

-the only time I circled and metered was over porp and we threw a TON of bait on them when we stopped

-when fishing is good, boats get crowded

-please don't ever come back thanks

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
:fighting0061:

Reactions: Statistico
Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
-deckhand was on the tank every stop and never made a single cast. The cook fished a litl yes. Captain made 3 casts hooked and handed fish to kids and elderly all 3.

-bathroom may hav smelled for a bit cuz lame ass passengers like urself throw up in there on occasion

-the only time I circled and metered was over porp and we threw a TON of bait on them when we stopped

I couldn't tell who was working or not.....more than three deckhands fished...heading for the bait tanks upon coming to a stop

don't blame yesterday's passengers for a smelly piss-rancid bathroom....CLEAN IT

You let you deckhands smoke constantly while filleting people's fish? and drink all day??? there were three guys drinking and smoking right behind the pilot house and in between stops.

Fix your operation and you might get more REPEAT CUSTOMERS

Upvote 0

rbfishn

May 15, 2012
Rialto,Ca
Name
Reggie
Boat
I hopped on the sea trek today with 3 other buddies that never fished offshore. Everyone had limits of rat yellowtail from one giant paddy by the 267.

Pros:

-Only $75 for a 3/4 day (7a-4p) and a chance to catch some tuna

Cons:

-Deckshands fished, smoked non-stop (even when filleting your fish), drank beers between stops, splashed water at each other, no shirt, rude, and very unprofessional

-Bathroom smelled very rancid and was already dirty when I first got on the boat. I'm sure they didn't clean it from the day before.

-Very weak speakers. I did not understand one work the captain said all day.

-Felt very crowded. Not much room to fish and everyone kept casting over my shoulder (including the deckhands that were fishing).

-When metering fish and circling, no chum was thrown.

*** Consider yourself warned
Dude. 1rst of all your fishing in September. 2nd who cares if the deckhands,captain or passengers are smoking and I highly doubt they were drinking. 3rd your on there boat. These guys have been busting there ass all season long. Did you finally book your 1rst trip of the season because the reports looked good. Let me tell you something. Just like anything. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you expected anything more you should have done your homework buddy.

Reactions: Ducksgo
Upvote 0

TrapHook22

Avid Slayer
Jun 9, 2008
Costa Mesa, Ca
Name
Branden
Boat
"Fathom This"

I love that the Captain responded. And I think it's good that they pay attention to the posts and the experiences anglers are having. And that they aren't afraid to say don't come back. Any other summer to limit out on YT, whether rats or not, on a 3/4 day trip... would have been an epic trip. People are getting spoiled and forgetting that it's fishing. Short trips are loaded. Conditions can be tough even when fish are everywhere around those boats. deckhands smoking has always been and will always be part of the deal. Their goal is to get you on fish, whether you think so or not. Not gonna say there aren't any lacking deckhands out there, but they'll fish circles around most of us if it came to it. They know what they're doing.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I love these threads!

Reactions: Saluki
Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
Dude. 1rst of all your fishing in September. 2nd who cares if the deckhands,captain or passengers are smoking and I highly doubt they were drinking. 3rd your on there boat. These guys have been busting there ass all season long. Did you finally book your 1rst trip of the season because the reports looked good. Let me tell you something. Just like anything. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you expected anything more you should have done your homework buddy.
i guess you can give them the benefit of the doubt.

yes the deckhands were drinking. yes it's their boat, but they shouldn't act like they're doing us a favor. we are paying customers. and no I've been fishing all season. just wanted to give these guys a try.

Upvote 0

rbfishn

May 15, 2012
Rialto,Ca
Name
Reggie
Boat
i guess you can give them the benefit of the doubt.

yes the deckhands were drinking. yes it's their boat, but they shouldn't act like they're doing us a favor. we are paying customers. and no I've been fishing all season. just wanted to give these guys a try.
Not trying to be harsh or anything. But I'm 35yrs old and been fishing for 30 of those. Last time I went out of helgrens was over 20 yrs ago. And I will say the sea trek did get me my 1rst YT ever out in front of San onofre. But knowing what I know from trial & error and HOMEWORK I stick to the boats I like. Usually anytime I try a different boat it's just not good. I had to learn the hard way. Believe me

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
The captains réponse is all you need. He's been clear on what he's offering and not offering and you know what you can expect from their boat. We all get the benefit of seeing the exchange and forming our own opinions. Two things-don't tip when you leave if you really believe you had poor service and feel free to give a customer review on these boards if you can honestly say it's warranted. There are boats that I will not fish for years now due to similar experiences-even though I will see differing reports on here, why? because I spend good money to fish and if I do not get what I expect I can spend it with another operation-and do.
I will say there is a reason I wouldn't fish out of Oceanside even if all the Albacore in the world was stacked up at the mouth of the harbor-it's experiences like yours. It's unfortunate because like all of us on here-I fully support captains and crews due to us all being anglers-but they sometimes forget amidst their stressful work environment that it is a customer service industry with MANY competitors.

Upvote 0

BLOCK

Sep 22, 2005
Oside
Name
BLOCK
Boat
18' Ranger
I couldn't tell who was working or not.....more than three deckhands fished...heading for the bait tanks upon coming to a stop

don't blame yesterday's passengers for a smelly piss-rancid bathroom....CLEAN IT

You let you deckhands smoke constantly while filleting people's fish? and drink all day??? there were three guys drinking and smoking right behind the pilot house and in between stops.

Fix your operation and you might get more REPEAT CUSTOMERS

-There was only ONE deckhand working yesterday and he does not and will not drink on board. There was a few regular passengers helping him bag fish that were probably back there drinking a beer.

-People piss all over the place,, Ethnics wipe their ass and put it in the trash instead of the toilet..they don't listen and throw up in there every trip. people are just slobs..yes my deckhand shoulda checked more regularly and that is something iv gotten on every deckhand about,, but the heads were perfectly clean when the boat left the dock..

Reactions: Team Ball's Out
Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Let's see what you said...1 deck with a few pin heads that helps out and fish with paying customers. Probably get the best baits from their buddy the deckhand. Most likely win JP regularly as well. Also, the reason your boat is dirty is because of 'ethnics'.

Way to make your operation seem worse than what the OP posted.

Upvote 0

BLOCK

Sep 22, 2005
Oside
Name
BLOCK
Boat
18' Ranger
:ashamed: Whining about a 3/4 day out of Oceanside is equaled only by the Captain saying he had (according to the passenger count), one deckhand for 38 anglers and that 'Ethnics' are to blame for foul heads. I'm declaring this brawl a tie.

Haha I'm just stating the facts. I was agreeing that the heads are a valid complaint, his only valid complaint. This morning started off with a guy spitting a giant pile of seeds all over the deck before we even got to the bait dock. We can only do so much to keep the boat clean. It's a 3/4 not a long range boat.

Upvote 0

BLOCK

Sep 22, 2005
Oside
Name
BLOCK
Boat
18' Ranger
Let's see what you said...1 deck with a few pin heads that helps out and fish with paying customers. Probably get the best baits from their buddy the deckhand. Most likely win JP regularly as well. Also, the reason your boat is dirty is because of 'ethnics'.

Way to make your operation seem worse than what the OP posted.

Zero pin heads. Paying passengers trying to help which I hav mixed feelings about becuz they get mistaken for crew. Hard to keep a decent deckhand all season, lost my 2 main guys,, this dudes a week old and doin his best. I personally unhooked and bagged over 100 YT on 1 stop. Doin what I can bud..

Upvote 0

NickyBaby

Jig > Bait
Sep 26, 2005
Lake Elsinore
Name
Nick
Boat
Shorebound
Limited time on a 3/4 to put fish in the boat, and they got LIMITS. Who gives a shit about the rest. If you want to go on a pleasure cruise, get on an 8 day trip where customer service is priority 1!

Combat fishing is part of the game and its fun as hell, thats why we do it. We've all been on countless 3/4 days 1/2 days etc etc no matter what boat you are on, NOTHING is perfect at one time or another. Quit being a bunch of pussies and hang a fish and dont sweat the small stuff!

Capt. did his job, deckhand did his job. I'm sorry the bathroom smelled like shit.......its not like someone is supposed to shit in there Right?!?!

Reactions: chasto
Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
--People piss all over the place,, Ethnics wipe their ass and put it in the trash instead of the toilet..they don't listen and throw up in there every trip. people are just slobs..yes my deckhand shoulda checked more regularly and that is something iv gotten on every deckhand about,, but the heads were perfectly clean when the boat left the dock..
You can count this Ethnic out from ever jumping on your boat...

Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
Zero pin heads. Paying passengers trying to help which I hav mixed feelings about becuz they get mistaken for crew. Hard to keep a decent deckhand all season, lost my 2 main guys,, this dudes a week old and doin his best. I personally unhooked and bagged over 100 YT on 1 stop. Doin what I can bud..

boat docked at 4. I was by the docks eating till 5pm watching the same guys drinking clean the boat once everyone left.

Only 1 deckhand for 40 fishermen? I'm sure you had more than that.

It's nice to know you're doing your best but you gotta talk to your deckhands and the ones that act like deckhands. Me and my buddies were talking about how nice it would be to have a job where we can smoke and drinking all day without a shirt while splashing water at each other. lol

thanks for the replies anyways captain. bonus points listening.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Jimmeny xmas! I could have been reading this thread instead of watching Sunday Night Football?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.