Sea lions in king harbor

Brifish

Jan 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Hobie Outback/
So I got a slip at king harbor, very excited to get on the water in my new kayak. This is only my second time out in the salt, first time yesterday. Went to fish around the opening. Not long after I started fishing I noticed a big male kinda close and watching me. This made me a little nervous so I moved to the other side, right after that, he popped up again nearby. He looked at me again and started swimming away. So I figured he was checking to see if I had fish or something and was following me like they do the boats. I went back to where I started,and had marked fish. As soon as I dropped in I noticed this big s.o.b. nearby again, started getting bit, then he popped up right next to me! Scared the crap outta me ,I took off pedaling as fast as I could and he followed me for a bit. I felt like maybe he didn’t like me in his fishing grounds. Am I being ridiculous? Do they attack? I wasn’t worried at all about the sea lions ,on a boat
they’re more of a nuisance, and the ones in the harbor always have people around.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I wouldn't trust those fuckers especially a big knothead. Paint ball gun would be helpful. There's a flash light looking thing called a vipertec I think that's also has a stun gun. Less than $20 online so if it gets screwed up no big loss

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
He's got your number now ..............

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Ok ...worked the bait dock for 4 years there..me and my dogs interacted with them over and over..fished my skiffs all over that place for a long time...
Never had one be aggressive towards me or the dogs til towards the very end...
Was at the hoist dock with the dogs as the special came back to their slip..
Usually they would pull the chute and dump their bait tanks and feed the birds and seals..this goes against the thinking of any boat owner I've ever known especially fisherman who know rule #1 is dont feed birds in your slip but that stupidity is a different story.
We had a bait shortage that week so instead of dumping the bait they kept their pumps on to save what they had for the next day which meant the 3 or 4 seals behind the boat got nothing...
My dogs started barking and a 100 lb juvenile Male came over and dove under the hoist dock and I could see him below the dogs following them from under the dock..I grabbed their leashes and walked back and forth a few times and this fucker followed us with what seemed to me to be bad intentions..
I decided to leave them home for a week
I got a call that next week that one of the commercial guys was at the hoist dock unloading and a seal pulled his lab off the stern and ripped a hole in its chest ..
He saved the dog but it cost him thousands ....
I'm just guessing it was the same seal...
Have seen thousands of kayakers and sup with dogs on board pull up to the seal dock and not one incident and I'm sure as a rule they are not aggressive this way but they are also individuals and I'm sure can be as unpredictable as any wild dog...

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Two words, baseball bat and wrist rocket with glass marbles. Fuck those mother fuckers. STAND YOUR GROUND!

Reactions: huukup!

Adam11x310

Jun 17, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Adam
Boat
23 Conquest
Same thing happened to me as well just a few days ago, then followed me out into the bay. Frustrating to say the least but just happy to get out the house...

Anyone know what happened to the bait dock there?

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
last summer there was a big mo fo hanging out in front of my house in the evenings for about a week... Id go out for a paddle or surf after work usually by myself... and I was sitting there on my board and I saw something slash through out of the corner of my eye... WTF??? and he popped up right next to me blowing air and just circled me... hed take off each time... no issues... but he definitely was into F'ing with me... not a good feeling when your legs are dangling in the water sitting on your board... noone around... 👀

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
With no boats running right now, my guess is they are going to get more and more aggressive since they aren’t getting their free meals anymore.

Reactions: plj46

Brifish

Jan 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Hobie Outback/
That’s what he did , came up and blew a bunch of bubbles next to me. He was following me and I hadn’t even started fishing yet, as soon as I did, he came close to me and followed me for a bit after I split. It felt territorial. There were a lot of fish on my sonar (rockfish?) so maybe he was feeding and didn’t like me around . No one else out there either, a few sups , but they keep moving, which is what I’m gonna do if I see him again.

DaPerrin

Mar 22, 2018
La Habra
Name
David Perrin
Boat
Kayak
Wow...This is the natural world folks, not a video game. If you want to experience the outdoors (not the local park) then you need to realize we are not the only large predators around. Sea lions, sharks and even whales can occasionally be an issue when out in the ocean (but your more likely to be hit by lightning) . Just like bears, mountain lions and rattlers can be an issue when backpacking. People are so conditioned to living away from nature and wild animals, its sad to see how frightened some become when getting near to one. For instance, not a day goes by that I dont see a post on the neighborhood app to 'run for your lives' theres a coyote walking down the street. If your afraid of a sea lion, it might be better to take up Bass fishing in the local lake. But watch out for eagles, they might swoop down and carry you away.

C-4 Fishing

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
I’ve been bumped and stalked a few times on my yak while lobster fishing. Not a good feeling, especially at night. Wrist rockets and pellet guns help.