Maunsell

Maunsell
Aug 3, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ian
Boat
13' Hobie Revo, layout boat
Has anyone ever done any sea duck hunting out of San Diego? I never hear folks talk about it but would be interested in any info. What does it take to shoot the ducks on the ocean?

Upvote 0

nellie

Let's Ride!
Jul 20, 2006
alpine, ca
Name
nellie
Boat
none
Back in the 60's we shot tons of birds down in the South Bay near IB...aahhh the good old days...Even the Lagoons along the coast...Sorry, don't know where you can do that now.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
There was a thread about this a year or two back.
If I remember correctly, you have to be a certain distance off shore.
Something like a mile?
Someone here will know.

Upvote 0

Dr. Fowl

I need a bigger dog!
Sep 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bryant
Boat
Fowl Play 1754 Grizzly 75 Merc Optimax
I have heard the law says you have to be a mile off shore. I have shot Surf Scoters off of Point Loma. I did get checked by Harbor police and they drug me in for questioning. They also called DFG and they came on down to join in on the questioning, I never got cited for anything and they never found any black and white rules. This was before 9-11, I could only imagine what they would do now if they saw you with a loaded shotgun hunting in the ocean. Back in the day the south bay was off the hook. They outlawed it and made it a $100 fine if yiou got caught hunting back there. Alot of people still did it since driving to the Sea to hunt or wherever else would cost more than $100. They eventually caught on and raised the fine.

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
Found this out of regulations......other than this no requirements.

§507.5. Scull Boats.
Migratory game birds may not be taken by a scull boat or similar watercraft while under motorized power. The motor shall be removed from its mountings before any take or approach is attempted.

This section shall not prohibit shooting migratory game birds from scull boats or similar watercraft with motor attached if beached or anchored; nor shall it prohibit the use of a motor for the sole purpose of picking up dead or injured birds.

New section filed 8-24-71, effective 8-24-71.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Every year or two I used to see a couple of guys set up north of the IB Kelp off of the Strand. Be about five years since I last say them, but I bet they got into the Brant and Scoters...

Upvote 0