Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I’m chartermaster on the 4.5 that’s coming in before you.

C
Chicago Pete
What are your tackle recommendations? TIA.
Wandering Blues
Wandering Blues
@Chicago Pete Scott had 50 BFT on the deck yesterday by noon in that 30/40 range with a few in the 70’s. That was just the morning bite.

I’d bring a 30, 40, and 60# live bait set up, an 80 sinker rig, and a 100 for jigging at night. Fluoro from 20-80, hooks from size 4 to 3/0, and some Katy Perry jig options up to 500g if the current is moving.
Reactions: Shon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That boat has gone down hill
    Amen, But there people out their that think that's the greatest short range boat in the fleet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, But I'm with you on that boat going down hill and the overall operations. Back in the days when Scott Mcdaniels (the boat owner) ran his boat, He wouldn't careless on how far the fish were or how much fuel it took to get to the fish nad always wanted to be the high boat in the fleet, Even when he ran the Grande out of 22nd st landing. But I can't say the same about the food he serves the passengers, It's at the bottom of the barrel always has been and always will be. 20 years ago my friend was on a 2 day trip and spent $30 on a spaghetti dinner with Iris spaghetti sauce (smart and finals brand) No meatballs, Frozen mixed Vegetables microwaved with one cold dinner roll!! For the price you pay for the meals on his boat, You would expect the food to be on the higher end!

Last edited:
    Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Back in the days when Scott Mcdaniels (the boat owner) ran his boat, He wouldn't careless on how far the fish were or how much fuel it took to get to the fish nad always wanted to be the high boat in the fleet.
    For those who’ve asked, I’ve said there are fishier boats in the fleet (NLA under Markus, PQ), but I always manage to put fish on the deck on the 80 and have a good time doing it.

Scott is running my charter, along with the night driver from the R85- I can’t remember his name. Scott’s back at it after having a stroke 2 years ago that cost him a leg. If anything, I’d say he’s gotten more passionate, having been away from the fleet. He’s old school, salty, working the deck, barking orders, communicating.. And, probably the best jokester in the fleet. He’ll leave you laughing.

As to food, I’ve found it to be about what I expect on a shorter range boat- tasty, filling, but not elevated. And if you’ve ever read one of my fly fishing reports, you’ll know I take food serious.. They did a refresh in the spring on the galley, deck, rails- which is good because she was showing some wear. Although, I’ve heard the AC is still an issue.

I’ll give a full report when I return. 4.5 days should be enough time to get a sense of where they’re at.

Upvote 0

slowhaler

May 11, 2010
    santa maria ca usa
    Name
    porty
    Boat
    montauk 17
    If Scott is driving. Tell him to step on it.

He drove out to Tanner at 7 knots on our last trip. Went by the bait tank at Pt Loma at 8pm. Arrived at Tanner the next morning at 10:15. 100 miles=over 12 hours. His comment was that it was the smoothest ocean he had seen in 50 years!

Counted 6 boats passing us on the way out and I wasn't even up that long!

irob2
    irob2
    Thats all the boat has its slow trust me i drove it
    Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0