Offshore Sea Adventure 80 WON 2 1/2 Day - Hoping they do the right thing.

PENN
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Almost A Member
Jul 21, 2005
california
Name
scott
Boat
Seahawg, 22' Cabo Cuddycon
Short Story:
My cousin and I went on the SA80 Western Outdoor News 2 1/2 Day charter from Thursday to Sunday AM. Fishing was incredible, wide open YFT 30-45# range, the crew worked hard, Scott the captain was a great guy. Bad news, the RSW went out and all of our fish was ruined/spoiled. Hoping Scott and the folks at H&M do the right thing and give us all a credit for a future trip.

Long Story:
We were told to come early, supposed to be a 9 pm departure, but told to show up before 4 pm for a 5 pm departure. We loaded at 4:30, helped the crew stow all the Costco food items, drinks etc. At the bait receiver the crew was pleased to see some good sardines and small macks. They filled the starboard side first, then flipped the boat around and loaded the port tanks (trying to keep the bait in the net for a short time). Classy act they take pride in their work from the beginning. For the safety briefing Scott the captain gave a very entertaining and good briefing. He told us we were going down 130 miles to an area he had just fished that was good.

Then Bob from WON gave out the swag, one guy one a new pair of Costa glasses and the other pair given to the captain. About 10 others won nice Rapala lures and everyone got 5 bags of nice hooks and three spools of flourocarbon 25, 30, 40#. Thanks Bob and WON, very nice.

Then the deckhands split the group of 30 in two and gave tackle/tips/set up info.

Weather was awesome, nice and flat like a lake. My cousin and I got a nice state room and enjoyed a relaxing trip down. At dawn we put the trollers out and hooked a few skippies that were released. About 9 am we came across our first school of YFT on a small paddy. Football size YFT to 15#, with some smaller YT and nice dorado. We continued on after that bite died off. This is when I noticed something was wrong. They weren't putting our fish in the RSW, but in the port hatch, this looked like a big cooler.

Around 12 noon we saw another small paddy and it started with small YFT and Dorados, then the big boys came in for the fun. It was wide open, crazy, boiling tuna for 3 hours. I believe we caught over 150 nice grade YFT from 30 to 45#. The crew worked hard. The cook came out to help, Scott the Captain was on the bait tank chumming and giving directions. At times we had to tag our own fish, but OK, they were working hard and it isn't that hard. After the bite faded, and many of the guys were spent form pulling hard on the big fish, we called it quits. Again our fish went in the "cooler" hatch.

Scott, the captain told us we were going to San Martin Island to anchor for the night ( a 3 hour run) and we were going to do some WSB, YT and Calico fishing there. The crew began asking everyone about fillet vs keep whole. About half wanted it filleted and the other whole. All the fish were brought up on the deck for sorting, pics, etc. The filleted fish sat out on the deck until they were cut up. So were our fish to be kept whole. About 2 hours. I began to get concerned about the fish and asked the captain about our fish and the cooler. He said the RSW went out some time last night. He said the cooler would keep our fish cold enough until we got back. I saw the crew place the fillets, in bags, in milk crates in the cooler, then our whole fish were lowered in. The captain said the crew was going to rotate our whole fish from bottom to top a few times through out the trip to make sure they are equally cooled. Again, my Spiderman senses said something is wrong. But, what else are we to do? It's his boat, his crew and you have to trust him.

San Martin Island we anchored for the night and made squid. Everyone who had squid jigs got them out and made some squid and then around midnight when we went to bed they got the nets out and scooped a bunch. In the AM we tried for WSB in the small harbor for about 2 hours, no luck. Then we went to the kelp line and had quality calicos (in the 3-5# range), nice YT and some sheepshead. Around 11 am we got boarded by the Mexican Navy. Pretty routine, 45 minutes and off they went. Scott then said we were going to Colonet bank for rock fish. We got there around 2 pm and fished for an hour or so. We caught some huge lings and sheepshead and whitefish. Then it was time to head home.

The weather came up and it was a rough ride back home. The cook did a good job with the meal even though many didn't feel like eating. Most went to bed early. Around 6 am on Sunday most were up and ready to get off the boat. We discovered the Captain made the executive decision to have ALL fished filleted, even those who wanted it whole for professional processing. He did this to save the fish as he was worred it was getting too warm. I guess the fillets are easier to cool than whole fish. But all fillets were in bags on the deck from 5-7:30 am not getting cooled. One passenger was up when they opened the hatch and pulled the fish out and he said it stunk like bad fish.

When we go to the dock and they pulled our fish up in the cart it didn't look good. Guys became concerned. I went to Sarah at 5 Star Processing and told her about the RSW going out, the cooler and the emergency fillet of all or fish. I asked her to look at the fish and smell it. She did and said it was bad. This is when it started getting heated between customers and crew. Scott the captain said the fish was good, Sarah said it wasn't. Scott the captain said he did everything he could to keep the fish in the best shape possible.

So, it was decided to send all fish to 5 Star, let them look at it to determine if it was fit to consume. If it wasn't, Scott the captain said he would make it right. I asked about vouchers for next year, where he could take 2-3 of us on his trip in 2014, spaced thru out the year, and he agreed. About 2 hours later Sarah called and said the fish was bad and she threw it all out.

So here stand, with no fish. I personally lost 7 YFT around 40#, 2 smaller YFT around 20#, 3 YT, and 1 Dorado. I am really hoping H&M and Scott from SA80 do the right thing and give us all a voucher for another 2 1/2 day trip. H&M is a good landing, SA80 a good boat with a good crew. This post isn't a slam on the crew, quit the contrary. I'm just posting facts and hoping we are taken care of.

Here is a link to the WON galler of pictures. Look at the Bloodydecks!!!!!!

www.tinyurl.com/won2013sa80

Scott

Upvote 0

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
Damn that sucks! I have fished with him before and he's a cool guy. Hope he does something for you guys.

Scott

Upvote 0

striper30

Nov 23, 2011
Brea, ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Precision 28
I remember the fished smelled bad when the Mexican Navy asked to take a look inside the slammer. My gut told me something was up when we left biting fish to find other fish...

I had no idea that the RSW took a dump until after I paid my tab and tip.

Upvote 0

bstabski

Jun 28, 2012
Oside
Name
Bryan
Boat
NA
It's a shame they continued to slaughter the fish knowing the rsw was out... Senseless unnecessary killing by Scott.

Upvote 0

paddydaddy1

Oct 5, 2011
el cajon
Name
Aaron Faust
Boat
paddydaddy
Scott Mcdaniels is a fckn fag! went on that boat once, brought five of my good friends. they only filled up one bait tank and it wasnt even the deep slammer they have. Ran out of bait about half way through trip with biting fish everywhere. what a joke!! guy calls himself the fishing stud. more like fishing queer. I accidentally left my boots on deck and he said he saw them and that he would email me to come get them when they return. I never got the call. I have emailed him over and over. No response. I usually dont slam boats. But this guy is a complete dick! good luck getting any thing out of him.

Upvote 0

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
hah ha hey it is what it is.
Scott Mcdaniels is a fckn fag! went on that boat once, brought five of my good friends. they only filled up one bait tank and it wasnt even the deep slammer they have. Ran out of bait about half way through trip with biting fish everywhere. what a joke!! guy calls himself the fishing stud. more like fishing queer. I accidentally left my boots on deck and he said he saw them and that he would email me to come get them when they return. I never got the call. I have emailed him over and over. No response. I usually dont slam boats. But this guy is a complete dick! good luck getting any thing out of him.

Upvote 0

DEGBTI

Feb 5, 2013
el cajon, ca
Name
dennis
Boat
204 Angler CC
just fished a 3 day with them a couple weeks ago, we ran out of bait too but only because we were wide open for 6 hours putting over 300 yft on deck in a short period. Had no issues with captain, he was really cool to my kids letting them hang out in the wheelhouse explaining how to navigate and find fish, not for a few minutes, more like a couple hours. Crew was awesome and worked their ass off.

They had a problem, shit happens. Give them a chance to fix it.

Upvote 0

Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo
May 23, 2009
San Marcos
Name
Frank
Boat
unknown

OHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUCK!

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
There is nothing more painful than having to throw out good fish because the cooler broke down. I had to throw out #100 of Wahoo filets on the way home from the most wide open Wahoo bite I'll ever live to see and that was on my friends boat. The cooler broke and we couldn't fix it or get ice. No one wants that to happen, but shit happens...

Upvote 0

Fat Guy

Almost A Member
Jul 7, 2011
San Clemente
Name
KG
Boat
none

Disagree. Fished with him a bunch. Fished most of the boats in the H&M, Point Loma, Fisherman's fleet and NEVER had a bad experience on the SA80, just the opposite. One of my friends owns a bigger and nicer boat in the fleet and am sad to say that the SA80 has always provided a better experience. They're a class act, and you are a douche.......

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Good Luck getting any money back from H&M landing or any Boat that docks at that landing for that matter, that's why I don't fish that landing, already been down the path you are going trying to get any money back from them will be a job in its self.

Upvote 0

thekman

Sep 16, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca./USA
Name
Kirk Braito
Boat
18.5 Sea Ray, The Mothership
Sounds like the "sea adventure" brand is sub par....I had similar problems with the ill maintained Sea Adventure II.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    There is nothing more painful than having to throw out good fish because the cooler broke down. I had to throw out #100 of Wahoo filets on the way home from the most wide open Wahoo bite I'll ever live to see and that was on my friends boat. The cooler broke and we couldn't fix it or get ice. No one wants that to happen, but shit happens...

I don't think expecting a free trip of equal value is realistic.
    You still got to go fishing, you were fed, crew worked hard.......Stuff happens......A discount on a future trip I can see as fair.....

Upvote 0

GATR

Almost A Member
    May 29, 2010
    Oceanside
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Old Gregor
    Sounds like the "sea adventure" brand is sub par....I had similar problems with the ill maintained Sea Adventure II.

The Sea Adventure II is owned by Chuck Taft, the Sea Adventure 80 is owned by Scott he bought it from Chuck several years ago. The boats and owners are in no way a "brand"

The SA 80 is one of the few boats out of H&M I will fish on. They are a top notch boat and there counts reflect it.

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    I don't think expecting a free trip of equal value is realistic.
    You still got to go fishing, you were fed, crew worked hard.......Stuff happens......A discount on a future trip I can see as fair.....

DISCOUNT????

Aside from the food you ate and gas you used the bottom line is that you are there to kill fish and take them home. I look forward to eating as much as catching and if they had to throw my fish out Id be pissed! They should absolutely get a free trip

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Fished with Scott last year for the first time and had an exceptionally good time with as much professionalism as you can expect. Sorry to hear about all the lost fish. Hopefully they fed the crabs in the harbor. You might contact H&M about a discount at the very least. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Fat Guy

Almost A Member
    Jul 7, 2011
    San Clemente
    Name
    KG
    Boat
    none
    DISCOUNT????

Aside from the food you ate and gas you used the bottom line is that you are there to kill fish and take them home. I look forward to eating as much as catching and if they had to throw my fish out Id be pissed! They should absolutely get a free trip

Would the same be true if you didn't catch anything?

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
    HB
    Name
    Mika Tan
    Boat
    "MoorZilla"
    Damn......... This trip was like making out with a smokin hot chick for 2 straight days, then finding out she has a penis.

Carl can relate to this analogy.

Upvote 0

vikebrian84

Almost A Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    I was on the trip as well. It was really odd to stop fishing for yellow fin when they were still biting and head for the island. I was told by crew that we had limited out on yellow fin but when we got to the dock i was told we only caught a little over 200. A lot of people were complaining of missing fish, I myself caught over 300# of fish but my bags looked a little light, another who had caught several tuna didn't receive any at all, but I guess that didn't end up mattering.

Overall the trip was great, I had a good time, but losing over 300# of fish is hard, I hope that captain Scott does the right thing and gives us a free 2 1/2 trip. He was in charge of keeping out fish fresh and he did not, If I wanted to replace the fish he let spoil it would cost me a whole lot more than what a 2 1/2 day trip costs.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.