Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
Light load of 16, already baited up and early departure for a 1.5 at 6pm. Capt Scott Mc Daniels was driving, with Mike Bullard in relief.

We went quality bft or bust, headed w/nw. Extremely kind seas. Especially when we got way out there onto a high spot, where we anchored up after the uphill ride.

tried sinker rig and flat fall in the dark, but no love for me. Couple guys got some very nice yt, 17-25# range, and doggone Frankie killed things all day long. Try as I might to copy his methods, I didn’t even get picked up all day.

there were a few school size bft that came over the rail, but one gentleman, Andy, hauled a very nice larger bft. North of 35, maybe pushing 45#. I’m not the expert. But fun to see that come over the rail. Perfect gaff shot.

no discernible pattern (except to that doggone Frankie, who was having the time of his life!), so I tried it all. As did others. But we really scratched at it all day long while a giant biomass of bft stayed 30-60 fathoms under the boat.

deck crew was dialed in and glassing all day. Helping those with knots, drags, encouragement, and so forth. We covered a ton of ground, tried every method, and, well, bft was bft.

killer eats, especially the steak dinner. Yikes, it was good. Maybe a New York cut? Seared just right, inch plus thick, lil bloody in the center. Yeah. Mommy like.

nobody cried like a baby if they shared the skunk with me. Very easy going, cordial, knowledgeable group of guys. Beautiful weather and ya know, that’s bft fishing, too.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Scott was running it? And Mike Bullard from the old Pac Star? That tells me there were a lot of laughs had and Neil Diamond was blaring on the speaker at some point.

Reactions: esgeo
Upvote 0

teddya2

Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
Nice day indeed weather wise, kinda wished I went down in size-- rather get a bite than nothing. I was only disappointed that no reference to change it up was offered. As Peg says, great group, light load, was very hopeful. Lots of bottom eaters were taken I as other got nothin , sometimes its like that especially when ya go huge or bust. I'll be back. Cookie put some super good eats out even if I wasn't able to enjoy. That F'n patch had me feeling weird all day.

Reactions: Peg North
Upvote 0

teddya2

Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
BTW happy to split one with #4. Good eats im thankful

20201016_172831.jpg