afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
So I did a couple of trips on the same boat. Family was out of country, so I looked at the dog and said I'm going fishing and you're going to a friend's house. Anyway, short version, daytime fishing for BFT was hard. I fished long fluoro leaders, 25-40feet, in 40-60lb for flyline and sinker rigs in 60lb or 100lb as well as flatfalls at night. The daytime fishing was spotty, but if you picked a good bait, you'd get bit enough to keep it interesting. Over several trips I got maybe 20 bft on flyline in the 40-130# class including many handoffs. We saw acres of BFT from 25-250lb and really, it was like the box of chocolates... If you went in with 25#, you were sure to get bit by a 140# bft, and one of the passengers was lucky enough to get him in! Over 5:1 weight to line! I got hooked up to one of those on 40# and almost made a go of it. He ran one way about half a spool, then ran the other way at full speed taking almost all of my 500 yds of 50# spectra on my jx raptor. Near the end of the spool, maybe 50 yds of line left, I'm at full drag, 2 thumbs on the spool and he finally stops! I get him back about halfway, I back off the drag and think I'm going to get him, but alas, no, he bit the line at the hook or the knot broke, 50/50. I was only using a #4 mutu hook so maybe he bit the line, I was using about 60% of the drag I had been using when he nearly spooled me, so I tend to think it was the chaffing and not the knot. I checked the drag and at full spool its 16#, so with an empty spool and my thumbs that was 32-35# of drag on 40# test... I'm thinking, that's it for the big fish for the trip. As night approached on the final day of one of the trips, had a friend say he had never got into one of those full speed night time jig bites, then it happened. Captain stops the boat and within 2 minutes, 10 of us are hooked up. All the fish are 130-150# and we get 5 of them. Each stop we get a few more. I got 2 that night, one on the flatfall, bridle rigged of course, and the other on a 500g knife jig. Strange, but effective way to fish the knife jig. Get it to the depth, wind 5 cranks, wait 10-20 seconds, repeat until top of zone and drop back down. This technique landed half of the fish that night on the same 500g jig. I didn't think it would work, but I got 2 that way myself. Kite was mostly unused because of a lack of wind, even with helium it wasn't possible. We got a few on the kite, including one I got at 220#, but on that gear it only took about 10 minutes to get in. I'm sure it helped that he had both hooks all the way down. Last part of the trip was ultra slow. We were around the fleet the first day and got a few bft during the day, then made a run near catalina where we saw even more acres of non-biting bft and a school of albacore. Yep, that is correct. Apparently they are out about 100 miles and some schools have made it inside of that. We went back down to the fleet off of point loma and got a couple more, but with 500 boats on a Saturday, it was very tough. Even saw a zodiac out there. After handoffs and give-aways I ended up with 7 bft over several trips, more than enough.

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Very nice! I noticed Mike took the boat towards Catalina on the Marine Traffic app. Aside from the albacore, did you get into any yellowtail?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
"Strange, but effective way to fish the knife jig. Get it to the depth, wind 5 cranks, wait 10-20 seconds, repeat until top of zone and drop back down."

Mike Lackey, on Let's Talk Hookup a few weeks ago, said something similar about flat falls. Said he'd turn the handle about 10 times as fast as possible, then just let the jig sit there - that's when he got most of the bites, when the jig was stationary - then up another 10 cranks and so on...

Reactions: esgeo and Cubeye
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
How were you rigging your 500 G knife jigs? Bridle? Assist hooks on top w/J hook on bottom? All assist hooks? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
How were you rigging your 500 G knife jigs? Bridle? Assist hooks on top w/J hook on bottom? All assist hooks? Thanks!
the knife jigs are too big for the bridle, so 10/0 jobu on bottom, yes, 10/0, and 2 7/0 or 9/0 assist hooks on top. For the assist hooks, line to solid ring to split ring to lure, with the assist hooks on the split ring if they have solid rings in them or to the solid ring if just loops. That way you don't depend on the strength of the jig itself. Make sure to upgrade the split rings and use heavy solid rings. I got 2 130# + fish on bridle rigged lures in the last few trips, one on a colt sniper, one on a flatfall. I had no losses on any fish except for the one that bit through the line at the hook (or the knot failed, but I'm not admitting to that :) Even the handoffs were all caught. Lots of casualties on the boat though, improper crimping, bad knots, not staying tight to the fish, setting the hook instead of winding down to it, using 25# test with 100# fish around, all avoidable.

Upvote 0