afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Fully booked boat so 28 people, as a result I fished the bow 80% of the time. We did better than most but not as good as a few. Captain Mike really helped the fleet out by calling in others to what was the only biting school in the area on Friday. It was us and 4 long range boats by the end of the day. Hopefully the other boats return the favor in the future. We got 17 or 18 Bft that day, mostly the 40-50lb class and and bunch of rat YT, that's what was available. I hooked at least 20 of the YT but kept way less than half of that. We did get 1 bft at 150# on a glow knife jig thanks again to the captain. Everyone had stopped fishing and he drops down a glow jig and gets bit almost immediately and hands it off. 30 minutes later after most had given up, he comes downstairs and does it again, only this time it's a 150lb fish. His secret? He did look to make sure there were fish on the monitor first. Still had to get them to bite. I got one bft on 40lb bait, and one on the kite I helped set up and send out with a double trouble rig. It was out all of 30 seconds before getting blown up. We were still sending it out when it got bit, probably why it got bit too. Two of us were looking at the baits skip across the surface just saying how they really looked like they were going to get blown up on, until it happened. The only thing better than a kite blowup is a topwater lure blowup. Anyway, it turned out to be a regular 50lb bft, but you never know. Poor little guy was on the boat in 2 minutes. I thought it would be game on after that but that was the only kite bite. We did not have a long enough drift to deploy it more than a couple of times, and we didn't get to use the flyers. The yellows responded mostly to bait but I did get a couple on the surface iron in mint. Some of the bft were caught during the day on SK jigs, so deploy those or similar in deeper lying schools. We must have seen at least 40-50 schools of bft in 2 days, so it's a lot of drops... 1 in 10 paddies were holding YT, but those that did were loaded. One person got a bft on a bobber balloon, wasn't expecting that. Worth a try. Maybe use different size balloons to stagger them. That's worked for me before with yellowfin where we could fish as many as 4 bobber balloons at once. Still hard to deploy a single bobber balloon on a full boat without tangling. The larger the balloon, the more distance from the flyliners. If you use a swivel below the balloon, you will reduce your twists and keep your flouro more invisible. Works on sinker rigs too. We had a late shot on BFT on the second day as one boat was doing well and allowed us to get in closer, but the wind and the waves really kicked up and I think that affected the attitude of the anglers as much as the fish. If they were biting the weather wouldn't have mattered, but it did make it that much harder when the bft didn't bite right away. As for the boat, they've upgraded the sonar so they have one of the best in the fleet, including the long range boats. First night the food was fantastic, steaks were cooked perfectly, second night, well it's hard to cook pork loin just right for 35 people. All the deck hands were very personable and helpful. That's not always the rule on these boats.

anemic

circling the drain
Mar 6, 2004
Long Beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
nope
. . . We did better than most but not as good as a few. Captain Mike really helped the fleet out by calling in others to what was the only biting school in the area on Friday. It was us and 4 long range boats by the end of the day. Hopefully the other boats return the favor in the future. . . . All the deck hands were very personable and helpful. That's not always the rule on these boats.
Glad you had a good trip. SA80 always gets the good reviews:

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Thanks for the report!

Shogun just (5-minutes ago) called and changed our 4-Day (May 18-23) into a 2-Day (May 20-23) due to high wind forecast. Rats! But, probably better than fighting that heavy of a wind...
    Wow, I’m heading out tomorrow morning on the Intrepid hopefully we don’t get banged up too much.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Last year, Mike hailed a private boat on a school who said they were throwing jigs because they were out of bait. He pulled alongside and gave them 3 fat passes from the tank and refused any payment. The boat owner and him tussled back and forth on that before he finally relented and directed that it would go to the crew’s tip jar.

Yes, there’s fishier boats out there. But, I’ve seen Mike do several acts of karma on trips and it’s why I chartered the boat for a 4.5 in October. Scott and Lisa raised him right.

Upvote 0

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim Berghauser
    Boat
    Na
    Excellent report and very good fishing information. Much appreciated for sure. Going out Sunday on the AA. Hopefully the weather and BFT will be cooperating... Now if I can only find somewhere to buy a knife fig of SK in Katy Perry colors....

Upvote 0

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
    Walnut, ca
    Name
    Jonathan c
    Boat
    one day
    Thanks for the report!

Shogun just (5-minutes ago) called and changed our 4-Day (May 18-23) into a 2-Day (May 20-23) due to high wind forecast. Rats! But, probably better than fighting that heavy of a wind...

isnt 20th, 21st worse than the 18th?

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Thank you for the report good intel sir!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    isnt 20th, 21st worse than the 18th?

The zone where BFT were found in large numbers recently (east of the southern tip of SCI) shows 16-23 knot winds with 9' waves on a 7' swell. Conditions start to improve mid-day Friday, and by Saturday winds are 14-19 with 7' waves and 4' swell. According to my reading of Windy Dot Com.

My apologies to AFraser if this is hijacking his excellent trip report...

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Did you try the Brideld set up on the FF?

How about line class?

Thanks!
    We did not get a good jig bite. I think 4-5 BFT were taken on jigs, rest on bait. And they were mostly smaller bft. So, no, I didn't get to use the bridle setup on a fish. It wasn't for lack of trying...

Reactions: Echo6
    Upvote 0

kimorb

Almost A Member
    Sep 10, 2005
    Golden Hill
    Name
    Richard Baldwin
    Boat
    I wish
    We were out near the sea adventure 80 on Saturday in a private boat. They were kind enough to pass on some information on kelps further south that we acted on and caught a bunch of decent yellowtail. We appreciated the intellegence Makes me want to ride with them..

Reactions: anemic
    Upvote 0