James Stinnett

Almost A Member
Nov 16, 2018
Lincoln, CA
Name
James Stinnett
Boat Name
Vagabond
I would never fish on that piece a shit again. Scott McDaniels is all about the $$$ I remember years ago on a CHARTERED 3 5 day on the SHIT adventure 80 and the Captain/Owner dropped kicked us off the docks at 2 AM. NO fish processors, no one there to steal your fish while waiting at the cone NOTHING!! I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT ON THAT BOAT AGAIN.. That was the 4th and last time I will be in the SCOTTY circus.. Hope you have a much better experience than my past round on that boat. Tight lines!!

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat Name
Any Boat that I can go on
I would never fish on that piece a shit again. Scott McDaniels is all about the $$$ I remember years ago on a CHARTERED 3 5 day on the SHIT adventure 80 and the Captain/Owner dropped kicked us off the docks at 2 AM. NO fish processors, no one there to steal your fish while waiting at the cone NOTHING!! I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT ON THAT BOAT AGAIN.. That was the 4th and last time I will be in the SCOTTY circus.. Hope you have a much better experience than my past round on that boat. Tight lines!!
True that..
was on the boat 3 times over 10 years and all 3 times were a circus...
the thing that always amazed me is that the boat "could " be a great short range platform but the owner won't spend 25 cents on the boat...worst heads I have ever seen -looked like the one's you see at the San Diego parks /encampments..

and sometimes the staff takes their leadership cues from the top.

Upvote 0

James Stinnett

Almost A Member
Nov 16, 2018
Lincoln, CA
Name
James Stinnett
Boat Name
Vagabond
True that..
the thing that always amazed me is that the boat "could " be a great short range platform but the owner won't spend 25 cents on the boat...worst heads I have ever seen -looked like the one's you see at the San Diego parks /encampments..

No doubt you have been on this boat.. AGREE WITH YOU 110%

Reactions: Kevin A
Upvote 0

afraser

• Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    There a group of 4-5 of us on that trip. We will have plenty of tackle if you are short of anything. Should be good timing if last year is any indicator. Trip right before it is a 4.5 day targeting bft, so they will likely know where to go and hopefully they will be on the menu. Mike, the captain now, will put us on fish. He is good friends with a number of captains that fish commercial. I have know idea what the posters above are talking about. Heads work great and are normal sized, even has a urinal which should be common but isn’t. New engines this year that are very quiet, comparatively. Sleeps 20 in staterooms and plenty of bunks for anyone else. They did cut the rod rack a bit but then again only a couple of boats even have rocket launchers. I’ve rarely been out with them and they are not one of the top boats. I personally got a 250, a 210, and several fish over 150 on that boat last year on just a few trips. Bring heavy gear and light gear just in case. Plan on fishing at night.

Jan 20, 2022
    San Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    none
    Scott Mc Daniels has, and has had for years, a terrible reputation for exactely what you stated, all about the money in his pocket. He's not respected by most other owner/operators in the fleet and as far as the fishing community, well look what popped up with this little thread. I'd fish off of a floating log before fishing with Mac Daddy

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    True that..

Not here to defend anybody but the bathrooms have been remodeled and the boat has been repowered with new engines.He spent some money.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    True that..

and sometimes the staff takes their leadership cues from the
    True that..

How was the food, Just like the heads and everything else?? I heard back in the day when they provided blankets and pillows, They changed out the pillow cases once a week and their was misc crumbs, etc :shake: in between the bunk cushion and the wood side boards??

Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Not here to defend anybody but the bathrooms have been remodeled and the boat has been repowered with new engines.He spent some money.
    I believe he got those new computer controlled low emission's motor for free or next to nothing on the Grant from the government. I know of appx 15 boats that got them for free over the past 2 years.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    I believe he got those new computer controlled low emission's motor for free or next to nothing on the Grant from the government. I know of appx 15 boats that got them for free over the past 2 years.
    That's a negative.

Reactions: 5152
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Any Boat that I can go on
    that is good to hear.. I "conversed" with the owner previously about conditions.
    he said he was going to eventually redo the heads.. glad he finally did.
    the boat is a solid platform. could be one of the top short range boats with the right game plan moving forward.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I’m chartermaster on the 4.5 coming in the morning you leave. Mike McDaniels will be running the boat, along with Ricky (from the Ranger 85). Conner & Chad should be working the deck.

If past years are any indication, it should be prime time for cow hunting. Our game plan, if the fish are cooperating, is usually to SCI and Tanner/Cortez. If we can load up early, we’ll make an overnight run down towards Mexico for the last 1.5 days to see what we can find.

I’ve had good trips with Scott and I’ve had not good trips with Scott. That’s fishing.

Upvote 0

tunakingken

May 21, 2008
    Washington
    Name
    Ken
    Boat Name
    22’ Seahawk
    I’ll post a report when I’m back. This will be my second SD trip. Last one was aboard the fortune in May. I thought that trip was a blast. Captain worked HARD, crew was great, food was great. Boat was a little on the smaller side bunk/galley wise but I’m on a fishing boat, not a luxury boat. Timing on this one just worked for me. My attitude is this will either be a great trip or one of those trips I pay my dues on for the next epic trip 🤣 little over a month to go.

Upvote 0

tjngirlz

Jul 10, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    Name
    Tony Russo
    Boat Name
    None
    There a group of 4-5 of us on that trip. We will have plenty of tackle if you are short of anything. Should be good timing if last year is any indicator. Trip right before it is a 4.5 day targeting bft, so they will likely know where to go and hopefully they will be on the menu. Mike, the captain now, will put us on fish. He is good friends with a number of captains that fish commercial. I have know idea what the posters above are talking about. Heads work great and are normal sized, even has a urinal which should be common but isn’t. New engines this year that are very quiet, comparatively. Sleeps 20 in staterooms and plenty of bunks for anyone else. They did cut the rod rack a bit but then again only a couple of boats even have rocket launchers. I’ve rarely been out with them and they are not one of the top boats. I personally got a 250, a 210, and several fish over 150 on that boat last year on just a few trips. Bring heavy gear and light gear just in case. Plan on fishing at night.
    I'm on that 4.5 day... Hopefully we will have good luck for the next trip.

Upvote 0

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
    Nov 4, 2007
    Leucadia, CA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat Name
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    I've fished it a few times. Just got back a couple of weeks ago from a trip. Things have definitely improved. I heard Mike is the owner now. New engines, so quieter and no exhaust fumes. Tommy in the galley is a massive improvement over the cook the last couple of years. Great cook and good variety of meals. And he keeps the kitchen clean!

They loaded a massive amount of primo sardines. There were a lot of anchovies in there, too. Time for albacore?

One thing I wish they would do is paint the bait wells white. They are dark and its hard to see the bait, especially if you are in the shadow.

Mike and Ricky at the helm. Chad and Anthony on deck. Bobby the itinerant deckhand and Matthew the pinhead. The guys did a good job.

We mostly paddy hopped between SCI and the beach. Spent one night on the bank looking for BFT. Only one guy hooked up and it was on a baitcaster reel, 50# braid and bass rod! So instant drag burn out and ruined ceramic guides. Mike took over and fought the fish, jamming his fingers in the reel so he could lift and then winding down. It took a while but he landed it, 130# on the bass rod. Pretty awesome to see.

I caught a few dodos and YTs.

Always nice to be on the ocean.

PXL_20220821_025312686.jpg

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I've fished it a few times. Just got back a couple of weeks ago from a trip. Things have definitely improved. I heard Mike is the owner now. New engines, so quieter and no exhaust fumes. Tommy in the galley is a massive improvement over the cook the last couple of years. Great cook and good variety of meals. And he keeps the kitchen clean!
    It was my charter last year when we lost the engine and steering and limped in from Tanner. The McDaniels made it right, offering face value cash, or vouchers with an extra day, to everyone and coordinated with 5 Star to pick up on our unscheduled early return.

Soon as I was back at the landing, I booked this years upcoming charter. Didn’t even ask, but they knocked off some money as a thanks, allowing me to pass some good savings to everyone for this trip.

I’m glad to hear about the galley. Scott released Leonard right before our charter and the cook that stepped in was, bless her heart, just horrible. My son said the food at Army boot camp was bistro quality in comparison.. 😂

I look forward to seeing Mike at the helm again and visiting with Scott & Lisa when we load up.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    It was my charter last year when we lost the engine and steering and limped in from Tanner. The McDaniels made it right, offering face value cash, or vouchers with an extra day, to everyone and coordinated with 5 Star to pick up on our unscheduled early return.

Soon as I was back at the landing, I booked this years upcoming charter. Didn’t even ask, but they knocked off some money as a thanks, allowing me to pass some good savings to everyone for this trip.

I’m glad to hear about the galley. Scott released Leonard right before our charter and the cook that stepped in was, bless her heart, just horrible. My son said the food at Army boot camp was bistro quality in comparison.. 😂

I look forward to seeing Mike at the helm again and visiting with Scott & Lisa when we load up.
    Yeah, you guys got one helluva deal on this year's trip, Curtis. Maybe the time frame will work for me next year (if there are openings).

As far as food, I trust you bring some famed NM chile out with you? I bring a few pounds of hot Hatch green chile on my trips... ramp it up to extra hot for those subpar meals and it'll take'em to a whole new level! LOL

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Upvote 0

dballisloose

Oct 19, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Daniel Ball
    I'm going to be fishing on the Sea Adventure right after you get back, we're scheduled for the 1.5 day trip leaving 9/30. So don't plug up the heads too bad for us lol. This will be my first time out of San Diego and even if the boat isn't the best, I'm excited anyway. I've noticed that they're mostly bringing back dorado right now on the Sea Adventure, so I'm thinking of leaving my BFT gear at home and avoid the extra weight. But for your 3.5 day trip you're probably going to need it.

Reactions: RockHopperNCKA
    Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    18 aquasport breakingwind
    I'm going to be fishing on the Sea Adventure right after you get back, we're scheduled for the 1.5 day trip leaving 9/30. So don't plug up the heads too bad for us lol. This will be my first time out of San Diego and even if the boat isn't the best, I'm excited anyway. I've noticed that they're mostly bringing back dorado right now on the Sea Adventure, so I'm thinking of leaving my BFT gear at home and avoid the extra weight. But for your 3.5 day trip you're probably going to need it.

Upvote 0