Sea Adventure 80 2.5 Day Smoked my Baja Special

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by FishAcquisition, Jul 4, 2018.

1. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Hopped on the Sea Adventure 80 for 2.5 Sunday night to fish Monday and Tuesday. With Capt. Scott McDaniel, Son Capt. Mike McDaniels night ticket Dan, Greg and Connor as DHs and David as Cook. Great crew, Mike is a Beast, more on that later. Food was great, Capt. Scott is a great communicator and very funny Crew worked hard had super attitudes. Would fish the boat anytime. Great crowd of very good Fisherman that became friends. Only one That Guy identified in minutes but even he was a nice guy. Short story: Saw more formers and boils on the trip than I have seen in a lifetime- fish everywhere 28 very good Fisherman 2 fulls days just 3 fish 30 to 60 pounds. Congrats to John, Tony and Twin #2 on Boating the 3 fish caught. Fished east of San Clemente both days. Bluefin are tough.

Battle of my life.

Was fishing all alone on the rail at 11:30pm Monday night first night of our 2.5 about 1:30am got picked up on a glow colored flat fall on 60#. Mike estimated 150-175 pounder, Just about spooled my on the first two runs. Buttoned down the drag as he was ripping line. Just walked off line on My 4/0 Baja Special.

Mike McDaniels coached me and ran the rod down the rail like Husain Bolt a few times barefooted, when I didn’t have the gas and got it around the anchor, Super help!!!

Got it to close enough to gaff and in about 35 minutes, Mike wanted 6 guys with gaffs by the time they are ready he takes off again. Capt. Mike says it will be awhile before we see him again, he was right. He takes off like he is leaving the party and no stopping him on a buttoned drag. Then starts making giant circles around the whole boat 150 feet out on the service for quite a while Took me around the boat 6 times, under the anchor rope 2 over the rope 4 times. 55 minutes later after 3:00am Got him close to gaff, 10 feet of line out. , drag starts sounding funny Capt Mike tells me I spun a bearing in me reel we check it after the fight and Yep, Smoked!! He went under the back of the boat, they could not get a Yand he broke off. Fish totally exhausted me. My forearms, biceps and back still ache. Lost the fish but not the least bit sad, was the fishing experience of a life time. I have lost fish that still break my heart but this one was such a thrill, it was the fishing experience of a life time not one regret.

28 guys 24 good Fisherman two full days, 3 fish from 30 to 60 pounds. Saw 100s of spots of foamers, metered fish all the time, they would not bite. Tons of micro bait in the water. You could see it at night. Flat falls at night and early morning was the only thing that hooked up. Few bait bites. Bluefin fishing is a brutally tough sport. 36 Fisherman and crew with state of the art equipment, way $200K worth of rods reels and tackle, state of the art boat and electronics, around fish continually for two full days and just 3 fish. Challenging fish to pursue. Always a joy to be in Gods creation.

Things I learned:

Always have a two speed reel if BFT are around, love my Baja special but a single speed high ratio on a fish of that size had me about crying for my Momma.

Crimp a #200 leader on your flat fall, that fish was on more than 90 minutes with all the pressure I could pull on it.

Fish at night and very early morning. No bites after breakfast. You can’t fish 20 hours straight so set your day up so you can fish at night when for us all the bites came.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Larmo, mandoman68, Caseymcv and 38 others like this.
  2. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    Your lessons learned are good to know, especially the night bite. Good tips. Some of my flat falls are rigged 130. I may rethink that. Thanks. JK

FishAcquisition likes this.
  3. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Sounds like one hell of a fight. Shame you brought a knife to a gun fight, otherwise things may have been very different.

4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    I like your attitude. Great write up Dan.

5. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Would have been an epic fish to land on that baja though!

6. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    Love my Baja Specials, but would not fish them for giants.

artaka1, Tunahead and FishAcquisition like this.
  7. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Great report! No matter what you are holding, you can be picked up by something unexpected and be in for a FIGHT. You gave a good account of yourself, and you can be proud of the effort. Even with a large 2-speed, it could have been a big swordfish and you would still have been outclassed. Effort is everything!

pechere, Tunahead and FishAcquisition like this.
  8. SD2600

SD2600 Member

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    26' sea swirl
    Solid report! Happy 4th. This post is the definition of the adventure most of us live for! Thankyou for sharing your lessons

mrkrabs, Arima-bob, Tunahead and 2 others like this.
  9. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    I agree!!!! Love that reel it was my Yo-Yo Reel but not a match. I freind came up Saw I was in a single speed and said. Oh Know, you are in trouble.

10. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Need a two speed for vertical jigging.

Want that high speed for jig retrieval.

Want that low speed for fish retrieval

11. PacificWest

PacificWest Member

Name:
    JS
    Boat:
    Great write up.

12. BloodyL

BloodyL Throwing everything I got

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    The Beach
    Momma always said life's like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get.
    Sounds like fun to me!

13. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Great story you can tell for a lifetime. I was just at the fishermans Landing yesterday and actually commented on how many anglers are going out to fish these BFT with single speed, small capacity reels. It really just makes it very unlikely to land the fish. I have to give you credit, sounds like you did a great job with what you had!

14. dunfishin

dunfishin Member

Name:
    dennis fishman
    Boat:
    12 valco aluminum
    Incredible report! Thanks for sharing

15. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Thanks, My 40, 60 and 80 are all 2sp Lever Drags, Jig Stick, Yo-Yo and everything under 30# is single speed.

Tunahead likes this.
  16. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    But you have a pretty good idea your gonna get a chocolate when you walk into the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory...

Point is if your gonna fish a glow flat fall in the dark you are not fishing white fish...

Sucks that you didn't kill the fish but you pretty much set yourself up for failure from the get go.

Fishdood and Tunahead like this.
  17. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great read and report. The FIGHT is what we live for I think? The catching
    and eating are just the reward. Been there, done that, go back and gettum LOL

PS get a bigger/better reel like a TLD20/30 at least that holds more line/2 speed.

18. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Great read, bummer you didn't get it, but even getting to color is quite an accomplishment with that tackle.

Tunahead likes this.
  19. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Yeah, just love that set up for Yo-Yo. Definitely fished differently the rest of the trip, #80 2sp Levrdrag only from then on. You start looking at the Hooks on your Jigs, quickly counting out those you see bending out during a fight, eliminating all trebled Jigs. If anyone wonders try hooking your line to the floor, lock down the drags on a Baja Special or 4/0 size high speed ratio reel, bend the Rod and try to get turns, even half turns. I regularly do arms down wrist curls with 85 pounds in each hand and my forearms are still burning. It was a blast thrilled to have been in that battle. Impressed by the guys that pull in the cows after long fights.

20. FishAcquisition

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    By the way Tim Doyle TimmyD883 (951)541-1476 on this board built the Rod a 30-80 super Seeker, I forget the number. Capt. Mike McDaniels (who had the rod more than a few times on passes) said the back bone it the rod was Awesome!!! Tim built all my rods and I am sure will be building a few more. Great work and great prices.

solid72 likes this.