Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
After about a month installing a trolling motor on my Cabo216, yesterday I took it out on another trial run. My 1st trial was a couple of days prior to the 9Mile for deepwater rockfish (ended with 14 for 2). Most on one spot. Yesterday my 1st mate (wife) had other plans so I went out by myself (which I prefer on my trips). My plan was to go to the end of the Pipe about 5 miles offshore in 300' of water to catch sanddabs both for bait and food. The smaller 3-4" sanddads (SD) for bait. I had a partial block of squid left over from the prior rockcod trip for bait. Like a few days before the weather and swell out their was not kind to me. Up-and-down steep swells with wind. A perfect environment to field test my TM installation. My first drop was at a SD hole I found years ago out at the "Y" end of the pipe. I engaged Spot Lock on the TM when I was over the WP.

Surprisingly it kept my heavy boat on spot even in the winds and steep seas. I ended up with about 10 nice 3-4" SD for bait there then moved to find another SD spot. Found two more close by with much bigger SDs for dinner. Then left to fish the Pipe towards where it enters the kelp about 4 mile away. Stopped every mile or so until I finally found a lingcod that was hungry around a couple of miles from shore in over 150' of water on top of the pipe. I would run the boat with the yammie until I was over the pipe then engage the self-deploying TM to hold me over the pipe indefinitely. Only one bite the entire pipe I fished. The TM sure makes it easier for the captain. I could just engage Spot Lock, have a seat and wait for the fish to bite with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. Not endlessly moving the boat around trying to find the same spot where the fish are. A game changer for me.

Then headed home fishing a few holes along the way. Ended up with one sculpin. Total days catch: 1 lingcod, 1 sculpin and 20 sanddabs.

The coasties pulled me over and inspected my boat but said nothing about it being illegal to be fishing out of SD Bay. All in all it was a great day with my TM motor working like I expected. I did plan on fishing inside the kelp but maybe next time
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg

Last edited:

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Well done. I've heard nothing but good things about hose new trolling motors.

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Got any pictures of the trolling motor? Interested in that self deploying feature.

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
I was out there fishing from the whistler buoy all the way into the bay... I think I seen you out there on your way out.... we got stopped by the CG too... just a normal safety equipment check and they were on the way... we ended up with a good variety of fish for the day and all fish released to fight another day... on a side note te sculpin seemed to be aggressive today... caught more of them yesterday than I have in probably 4 years.

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
There was a great article on those self holding trolling mortars in my Florida fishing mag I get. Sounded like a game changer. Cool!

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I didn't know sand dabs were red? Nice Ling! Glad the electronics proved worthy. Now where the hell is the Halibut? All the best.

Reactions: pacificscout

SRS

Mar 25, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
CC
Those may be some shitty tasting fish🥴. How close is the pipe outfall from that Y joint? Glad your able to get out and kill some fish.

radman

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
What trolling motor are you using?Any chance you could post a few pics?I am wanting one for my 18ft Stringari,but have no idea on brands or what the instal takes.Thanks.

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Here's my TM install.

Last edited:

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
And I wasted to whole day working? WTF?
Ramps still closed?

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Nice work! How are you preparing the dabs?
IMO sanddabs are the easiest of all fish and most delicious to prepare.

1. Scale sanddabs with a serrated knife
2. Cut head and stomach off in an angle cut, leaving the fins mostly attached
3. Dust with a dry coating of flour, Dixie Fry, or any other dry batter.
4. Fry in a pan with olive oil (350 deg) until fins appear crispy then flip.
5. When done through (170 degrees) remove from pan and set aside and keep warm. Sanddabs are a dense fish and takes longer to get done than you think like a halibut is too.
6. Add a big wad of unsalted butter to pan on medium heat with a tbs of capers and a squirt of lemon.
7. Pour the brown butter sauce over sanddabs. Pull fins off first on top and bottom. Then lift top filet off fish. Remove center bones by lifting the tail. End up with two delicious filets. Try doing this for breakfast and putting a filet over a poached egg. Now we're talking.
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2449.jpg
IMG_2454.jpg

Last edited:

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Guess this is my last fishing trip in awhile. Glad I went out when I did! Maintenance time on the boat starts NOW.

Reactions: repo805

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Reds bite the live SD?
Next time I go out deep for rockfish, I plan on stopping and catching a bunch of small sanddabs for bait. I can not see why they would not be excellent bait for large rockfish. I'm trying to find ways to fish the local areas w/o stopping at the bait barge for $40 (with tip) worth of bait i.e. macs, smelt, sanddabs, mussels, squid, brown bait, lures etc.

Reactions: bassmeister

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
I didn't know sand dabs were red? Nice Ling! Glad the electronics proved worthy. Now where the hell is the Halibut? All the best.
Cory,
Hope your wife is doing well. We're praying for her full recovery.

The reds are from a prior fishing trip to the 9Mile using the TM.

One of the 1st things I thought about when fishing with my cousin in the Alabama bayous back in November as he slow trolled the narrow inlets looking for reds and speckled trout, was slow trolling for halibut here in my world. Basically, a controlled drift with a TM. Now when you get a halibut bite, just engage spot-lock and let the halibut chew on it awhile. Also mark the hole for future reference. That's what I do for rockfish. So whenever this closure ends I'm gonna be concentrating my efforts each time out finding the halibut AGAIN. Got my 29" lingcod now time for another 40" halibut on live bait. Been awhile!

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
For smaller boats trolling motors -- especially with spot lock are CLUTCH. You can 'anchor' in 450' of water - you can stay on spot in all manner of stupid weather/current combos. I have an 18.5' tin can. Pretty light boat and I have a long shaft motor with 24V system. I can lock in 10kts wind with several knots current along a kelp line and stay put where others have trouble anchoring.

The other awesome thing is when hooping. You suck up a rope in the single main outboard when you are super close to the jetty or the oil islands, you can dump the troller and power out of danger fast.

I keep wondering how the heck I can get the equivalent on a bigger boat - like a 32 foot twin screw inboard. Could you do it with one of the more modern super long shaft 36V systems? Maybe two of them... one on either side of the bow? It is just so nice to not have to deal with the hook.

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
bman,

On my way in that day, I was contemplating going to the Whister Bouy area for rockfish with the squid I still had. I saw a couple of boats out there but my afternoon nap was calling me harder since I already had dinner. Plus, I have not done very well out there for rockfish/lingcod/sculpin in quite awhile so have been looking elsewhere like the pipe and kelp.

How did you do out there? What did you catch?

I was out there fishing from the whistler buoy all the way into the bay... I think I seen you out there on your way out.... we got stopped by the CG too... just a normal safety equipment check and they were on the way... we ended up with a good variety of fish for the day and all fish released to fight another day... on a side note te sculpin seemed to be aggressive today... caught more of them yesterday than I have in probably 4 years.

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
bman,

On my way in that day, I was contemplating going to the Whister Bouy area for rockfish with the squid I still had. I saw a couple of boats out there but my afternoon nap was calling me harder since I already had dinner. Plus, I have not done very well out there for rockfish/lingcod/sculpin in quite awhile so have been looking elsewhere like the pipe and kelp.

How did you do out there? What did you catch?
we did ok... nothing spectacular but still a fun day... we had a mix of bottom critters but mostly sculpin... I have a few spots out there that produce ling's but we didn't get any of size... oh well hopefully next time (when ever that might be) we get out there the drift will be more accommodating... we had a strange drift that I think hindered our efforts that day.