duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
15 to 25 foot. started at 5pm left at midnight. Owned the area until 9 or so then the "serious" hoopers showed up. dropped all over and around us.

One boat/skipper lectured us on how we should keep our distance. Um Cool story bro. Also cool that you have been doing this for "years." Funny how my hoops were there hours before your arrival. Oh well its all good cheap entertainment.

Lots of bugs mostly shorts until 1130 or so. Ended up with 8 keepers. Two of my hoops disappeared mysteriously around the same time "serious" hooper showed up dropping hoops at 10 knots through my string.

All in all a great night with great people plus they brought beer and bait!

If anyone finds a redneck rigged pvc hoop bouy green and orange/ or a regular white bouy with reflective tape and my name/number hit me up I will buy you lunch or something.

20161106_005549.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Sounds like you guys had a good time Butterboy!!! Congratulations on a nice score.

I to am under the impression that there is enough here for all the jackasses on BD to go to town.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Good catch. Seems SD bay has some strong current based on the number of nets guys report losing. Please send some of that current to the motionless water in LB, we could use it. Seriously the bottom of SD bay must look like a Promar graveyard.

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Yup. Kelp and current is big here. Started weighting my traps. Never did that in LA.

Who knows what happened but the timing of the disappearances was interesting.

I should have moved my hoops that got dropped on. Hard to keep a eye on them with other boat traffic so close.

Oh well tis the game! still fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
i've had the same thing happen out in san diego bay...nets are fine you go to the far end of your string and check that while someone is dropping theirs around the other end and suddenly the net that was fine for hours with the current slacking off disappears before you can go 100yards back to the spot they are dropping .next time it happens i'm taking pics of that boat so if you have the same happen and it's the same boat we can detect a pattern

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
I've noticed a little bit of a "entitlement" mentality on the water.

"I've hooped this spot for for years...they are on my spot"

Maybe it's similar to the surfer gangs of trust fund dudes that slash people's tires for being on "their" beach?

Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
2021 22 ft Bayliner T22CC Trophy center console
Nice catch!! Too bad your nets disappeared. At least you had a good time with great company and took home some bugs!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Yup. Kelp and current is big here. Started weighting my traps. Never did that in LA.

Who knows what happened but the timing of the disappearances was interesting.

I should have moved my hoops that got dropped on. Hard to keep a eye on them with other boat traffic so close.

Oh well tis the game! still fun.

Well hind sight is always 20 20 .
you seem to have a great attitude . I have been hooping for years but my belief is if your on my " spot" then it's your spot now. Neither you or I own it. First come first serve . Besides instead of sticking to the same spots you find other areas that prove to be productive .

Upvote 0

Matt Moyer

DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
Thank you for the report! Good stuff. Only had 1 run in the 3 years we have been doing it. Kind of the same thing that you went through. "Told the guy it's just hooping, why you so mad." I offered him a beer and then we were friends on night long LOL. We lost 3 hoops recently and they resurfaced at slack. It would be pretty ballsy to steal some ones hoops. Ever fisherman out there also knows that you can't catch shit with stolen equipment...bad ju ju.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Two of my hoops disappeared mysteriously around the same time "serious" hooper showed up dropping hoops at 10 knots through my string.
View attachment 801485

It's not always the current, and yes it depends on the location.
Nice job on the 8 legals, and the brown/red rock crabs.

Years back I was approached by a boat while hooping.
I had no idea what was about to happen until it was almost too late.
Had a gut feeling about the other boat as I'd never seen them in my neighborhood and they seemed to think their neighborhood was there's and there's alone, which was where I was hooping.
As he and I were talking I quickly grabbed my hand spotlight and low and behold another boat was pulling my nets as I was being kept busy.
Man did I light these 2 clowns up! :2gunsfiring_v1:Yes both boats were working together.

:Death_To_Above:bozo.jpg:Death_To_Above:

Upvote 0