I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
They already voted on it.

If Newsom approves it the city can green light it at their discretion.

Now my speculation is Newsom won't touch or address this until Thursday which has been the usual day we see an announcement from him, either Tues or Thurs.

Newsom himself said early June, phase 3 would go into effect. June 23rd is not early June.

Staying hopeful.
DREAM DREAM DREAM

Marlink

Sep 22, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ryan
Boat
Cokane
Seaforth
Trip Update

Tuesday's San Diego County Board of Supervisors meeting concluded with mixed results for the Sportfishing community. Although the Board voted in favor of reopening fishing operations, the issue is being sent back to the Governor for final approval. With several other counties in the state already receiving approval to operate trips we are hoping that this process will not take long. We will provide more updates as information becomes available.

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
San Diego
Name
Jim Berghauser
Boat
Na
Zero "testicular fortitude"......

Were the "get back to business.... reopen the economy" members silent? For those of you who bleed red.... did they stand up and state our cause? Our economic loss? Our embarrassment?

For those who bleed blue..... what the hell happened? Not enough campaign contributions? Can't stand up without checking with the "king" in Sac?

Come on....

This is just as I've always stated.....
The "GREAT DISTRACTION" continues.
🇺🇸
Be safe out there
I hear you brother! San Diego is a great town...but it is lacking In strong political leadership. The outlook for the November Mayoral elections are not promising either. I may start thinking of moving over to Poway OR running for a board seat myself since the bar has been set so low already Lol.... LOL
My first order of business would be to clean house and then fix the parking situation at the landings in Point Loma!

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Zero "testicular fortitude"......

Were the "get back to business.... reopen the economy" members silent? For those of you who bleed red.... did they stand up and state our cause? Our economic loss? Our embarrassment?

For those who bleed blue..... what the hell happened? Not enough campaign contributions? Can't stand up without checking with the "king" in Sac?

Come on....

This is just as I've always stated.....
The "GREAT DISTRACTION" continues.
🇺🇸
Be safe out there
where is the link to E mail dork dick, Newscum

Reactions: woodfish330

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
One thinks SD politics are a shit show now, wait until Todd Gloria is elected.

Reactions: plj46

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
So, here's the framework: It's up to the state to say how things can open, then it's up to the county to say when. If the state provides guidelines or otherwise says sportfishing is allowed, then the County public health officer (not the Board) will quickly move to allow it.

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that there are some counties up the coast that are less inclined to follow the State public health order, which currently does not allow sportfishing. So, while you're seeing some boats come online, from the state's perspective, that's not actually allowed (and they run the risk of being shut down). Because we have such a large fleet compared to all others, and ours includes proportionately more overnight and multi-day boats, the required procedures need to be more developed than in some of these other jurisdiction.

The compounding issue with today's action actually has to do with grandstanding by the more conservative Supervisors (Gaspar and Desmond) who see a political benefit to seeking to open everything. Rather than continue to focus (for example, on sportfishing, tattoo shops, and bars), they feel the need to go all in on requesting to open churches, gyms, and every other stage 3 business type. Had they focused, like what happened with barber shops/salons and restaurants, we'd have a better chance of getting the attention we need to get our use approved.

popx5

Jun 27, 2008
7000'
Name
Tom
Boat
Montauk
Or maybe they are more convinced than ever like many of us that it’s past time to open all business, places of worship, bars and everything else for that matter. Or we could keep throwing folks trying to earn an honest living in jail,while having our great governor continue to threaten us if we get to close together on the beach without a mask. But let’s not fuck with the unmasked “peaceful protesters” that are cramming together while busting into businesses taking whatever they want with no fear of arrest.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Do these Jack Asses have any idea the City is losing in income/taxes from the Sport boats not running ????

Last edited:

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Do these Jack Asses have any idea the City is losing in income/taxes from the Sport boats not running ????
First of all, it's the County, not the City that implements the public health order (after direction from the state). Second, the taxes from the landing are barely a blip in the budget, so that argument isn't going to help. But in any case, do you really think anyone wants the fleet to be closed? They understand that there are people whose lives depend on these jobs, and the rest of us whose states of mental health do as well. But they have to make decisions based on public health first, and that's what they're trying to do.

I don't get why anyone thinks the politicians want anything other than to get back to normal.

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
First of all, it's the County, not the City that implements the public health order (after direction from the state). Second, the taxes from the landing are barely a blip in the budget, so that argument isn't going to help. But in any case, do you really think anyone wants the fleet to be closed? They understand that there are people whose lives depend on these jobs, and the rest of us whose states of mental health do as well. But they have to make decisions based on public health first, and that's what they're trying to do.

I don't get why anyone thinks the politicians want anything other than to get back to normal.
I would respectfully disagree. There is a BIG disconnect with these elected officials and if you saw the live streaming meeting like I did that was fact not opinion. Many of these elected officials also never had their own small businesses that went into financial distress. If all their salaries were completely cut off and then they were told they need to fill out a form or revise their operating plan just to re-open and they were still denied what would they think? That’s exactly what is happening. If the CBOS really wanted further insight if businesses especially sport fishing was allowed to open there’s this amazing invention someone came up with that enables you to talk to someone and ask. It’s called a telephone and I hear they even provide you with an area code and numbers with it in California...recreate reimagine and have your minds blown!

Reactions: marlyn and kevina

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

My Bad, about the taxes I thought it was more than a drop in the bucket. Somebody needs to get off their asses and get it done, Other landings are opening up with higher rates of new cases in their City/County on a daily basis, What is San Diego an Orphan? Something else is going on?

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
I would respectfully disagree. There is a BIG disconnect with these elected officials and if you saw the live streaming meeting like I did that was fact not opinion. Many of these elected officials also never had their own small businesses that went into financial distress. If all their salaries were completely cut off and then they were told they need to fill out a form or revise their operating plan just to re-open and they were still denied what would they think? That’s exactly what is happening. If the CBOS really wanted further insight if businesses especially sport fishing was allowed to open there’s this amazing invention someone came up with that enables you to talk to someone and ask. It’s called a telephone and I hear they even provide you with an area code and numbers with it in California...recreate reimagine and have your minds blown!
So, if the supervisors actually spoke with someone who fishes the sport boat fleet, knows a bunch of owners, captains, and deckhands, maybe represents people in the sport fishing industry, they’d have a better sense of what they’re going through? Ya think?

So here’s the deal. Nathan Fletcher’s my brother in law, married to my sister. Over the last number of weeks I’ve spoken with him countless times about how to get beaches, boat ramps, private boating, lakes, and even the sportfishing fleet open. He’s by far our strongest ally on the Board of Supervisors, and he totally gets it (and is). I know some of you see politics as black and white, and you vilify anything that doesn’t fit your narrative, but in the end it’s all shades of gray. And as I said previously, none of them are happy about what we’re going through, so cut them a little slack (at least the good ones).

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
My Bad, about the taxes I thought it was more than a drop in the bucket. Somebody needs to get off their asses and get it done, Other landings are opening up with higher rates of new cases in their City/County on a daily basis, What is San Diego an Orphan? Something else is going on?
All of the other landings operating sport boats are flaunting the state public health order, and could end up shut down for longer of any sort of spike happens because of them.

In San Diego, we have the greatest number of overnight, medium and long range boats, so their issues are going to be harder to deal with. Believe me, it’s in the works. The county asked the governor to open it up, and hopefully he will in days and not weeks.

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
So, if the supervisors actually spoke with someone who fishes the sport boat fleet, knows a bunch of owners, captains, and deckhands, maybe represents people in the sport fishing industry, they’d have a better sense of what they’re going through? Ya think?

So here’s the deal. Nathan Fletcher’s my brother in law, married to my sister. Over the last number of weeks I’ve spoken with him countless times about how to get beaches, boat ramps, private boating, lakes, and even the sportfishing fleet open. He’s by far our strongest ally on the Board of Supervisors, and he totally gets it (and is). I know some of you see politics as black and white, and you vilify anything that doesn’t fit your narrative, but in the end it’s all shades of gray. And as I said previously, none of them are happy about what we’re going through, so cut them a little slack (at least the good ones).
I give you a tip of the hat to announce that on an online forum regarding your family ties to Nathan. I’m not a fan of his by any means but we all have our opinions. It maybe a question to him (I’ve wrote him several times on social media private messages with no replies) but if he “gets it” why was he the only person to vote NO on moving on the motion to ask the governor to allow reopening of more businesses including sport fishing? He did articulate why he felt that way but my counter to him is the data does not support your ultra conservative thinking and worst case scenario. The data in SD is the opposite and small outdoor activities like Sportfishing posses less health risks then many currently opened businesses. The fleet will be able to reopen at some point but how many boats and owners will even be able to get off the docks with many not seeing any income since Nov/Dec...guys even like LoPreste are being hit hard by this pandemic and there are more and more captains and crews past their breaking points financially.

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
The 2 prominent Hospitals in San Diego are not conveying "ultra conservative thinking and worst case scenario." They are concerned (rightly so) with the continued upward tic in the graph on continued hospitalized cases of covid .

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I served for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter

Can you ask your bro in law when they expect to hear back from the governor?

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
The 2 prominent Hospitals in San Diego are not conveying "ultra conservative thinking and worst case scenario." They are concerned (rightly so) with the continued upward tic in the graph on continued hospitalized cases of covid .
In my career I have to look at data and numbers then sprinkle in common sense. Pure SD covid-19 hospitalization numbers have actually ticked down and ICU are stable. Total hospitalizations maybe up, but that can be sliced and diced as well theorized well by many as to why. I'll leave that up to those people and the politics behind it. I'm just an avid angler, a tax payer, and someone that see's things are not adding up and elected officials are starting to be persuaded by opinion rather than fact which last time I checked is what Newsome has been preaching the opposite on how we would be guided all long?? Something is fishy and it's certainly not from anything from the fleet that's for sure!

Reactions: jer dog

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
I give you a tip of the hat to announce that on an online forum regarding your family ties to Nathan. I’m not a fan of his by any means but we all have our opinions. It maybe a question to him (I’ve wrote him several times on social media private messages with no replies) but if he “gets it” why was he the only person to vote NO on moving on the motion to ask the governor to allow reopening of more businesses including sport fishing? He did articulate why he felt that way but my counter to him is the data does not support your ultra conservative thinking and worst case scenario. The data in SD is the opposite and small outdoor activities like Sportfishing posses less health risks then many currently opened businesses. The fleet will be able to reopen at some point but how many boats and owners will even be able to get off the docks with many not seeing any income since Nov/Dec...guys even like LoPreste are being hit hard by this pandemic and there are more and more captains and crews past their breaking points financially.

I think Nathan clearly articulated at the meeting that he supported sending a letter to the governor supporting the opening of sport fishing, gyms, and other such uses, but the maker of the motion (Jim Desmond) was only interested in a letter requesting that all stage 3 uses be allowed, including theme parks, church congregations, etc. Nathan didn't support this and his colleagues were unwilling to parse out the uses that he would support. But think about it: what did it matter for Nathan to vote his conscience? The votes were there to send the all-inclusive letter, and his lone vote against it had no bearing whatsoever on whether the letter would be send. But, the fact is, he supports us and will continue to do so in communications with the Governor, so whether or not his version of the letter received the support of the majority, we still have someone in our camp who understands our particular needs. I can guarantee to you that none of the other supervisors are focused on our issues.

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Can you ask your bro in law when they expect to hear back from the governor?

Hopefully by the end of the week, but since SD County has now requested opening all stage 3 uses, it may be harder to get him to focus on sport fishing separately. The more letters we send the governor, the better.

Reactions: CrazyDonkey

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
I think Nathan clearly articulated at the meeting that he supported sending a letter to the governor supporting the opening of sport fishing, gyms, and other such uses, but the maker of the motion (Jim Desmond) was only interested in a letter requesting that all stage 3 uses be allowed, including theme parks, church congregations, etc. Nathan didn't support this and his colleagues were unwilling to parse out the uses that he would support. But think about it: what did it matter for Nathan to vote his conscience? The votes were there to send the all-inclusive letter, and his lone vote against it had no bearing whatsoever on whether the letter would be send. But, the fact is, he supports us and will continue to do so in communications with the Governor, so whether or not his version of the letter received the support of the majority, we still have someone in our camp who understands our particular needs. I can guarantee to you that none of the other supervisors are focused on our issues.
Fair point.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Update from Pacific Queen via Facebook, state approval is in hand. Ball is in the court of the local Health Dept.

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Tree
Boat
iWish
Update from Pacific Queen via Facebook, state approval is in hand. Ball is in the court of the local Health Dept.

I saw this too but cannot find any related articles or information to back it up?

Anyone?

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I served for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
I saw this too but cannot find any related articles or information to back it up?

Anyone?
I can’t find anything either. Nothing from other boats, no evidence on the county’s site or in the media. I don’t want to get my hopes up.