Squider
Apr 29, 2006
Internet
Name
Woody Suiso
Boat
26' Farallon,Solo Mar - 15' Gregor, Chibi Maru
Hey Folks,

I just went out this weekend with my buddy Fishy Phil who just got back from 8 months in sunny Afghanistan. As you can guess there is not a lot of fishing going on there. Thanks to the guy Phil met who works at Anglers Choice who let him borrow the Ghost Shrimp pump and the dope on where to fish. We rented a nice Boston Whaler skiff from the MCRD, Marine Corps Recruitment Depot and made the trek south. We went through 70 shrimp for dozens of small Bay Bass, 8 Bonefish, and 1 29’ Halibut.

I had no idea there were Bonefish in SD Bay. We tossed some small plastics and Gulp Ghost Shrimp, but the live bait was key. Here is the short video we did. This video shows you how to boat a halibut when you have no gaff or net!

San Diego Bay 09 | Free Sports Videos - Watch Sports Videos Online | Veoh

Late,
Woody

CamHat

Jun 18, 2009
Where the fish are.
Name
Cameron
Boat
Float Tube
Wow, nice halibut.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bada Bing

Instigator General
Apr 30, 2003
PB, CA
Name
JMH
Boat
Always a good one
Ya, bonefish is one of the little secrets back there, don't tell anyone :D Well done on the halibut, love the improvised jig-gaff. :cheers:

TunaByte

May 21, 2005
OC
www.TunaByte.com
Name
TunaByte
Boat
Yours
Hey Folks,

I just went out this weekend with my buddy Fishy Phil who just got back from 8 months in sunny Afghanistan. As you can guess there is not a lot of fishing going on there. Thanks to the guy Phil met who works at Anglers Choice who let him borrow the Ghost Shrimp pump and the dope on where to fish. We rented a nice Boston Whaler skiff from the MCRD, Marine Corps Recruitment Depot and made the trek south. We went through 70 shrimp for dozens of small Bay Bass, 8 Bonefish, and 1 29’ Halibut.

I had no idea there were Bonefish in SD Bay. We tossed some small plastics and Gulp Ghost Shrimp, but the live bait was key. Here is the short video we did. This video shows you how to boat a halibut when you have no gaff or net!

San Diego Bay 09 | Free Sports Videos - Watch Sports Videos Online | Veoh

Late,
Woody
Do the ghost shrimp need to be alive? Also, what tackle and line weight did you use?

kill-fish666

Aug 25, 2009
esco
Name
david
Boat
rude too bitch!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahaha jig gaf nice thinking i would of been sitting there trying to grab it

Suiso

Squider
Apr 29, 2006
Internet
Name
Woody Suiso
Boat
26' Farallon,Solo Mar - 15' Gregor, Chibi Maru
Do the ghost shrimp need to be alive? Also, what tackle and line weight did you use?
Yes, they were alive. Even fresh dead still caught fish.

Tackle used? Check the video. Mostly 4lb and me with 6lb.

T BICKLE

super cool LA guy
Sep 27, 2007
Culver city
Name
garrett
Boat
16ft ebbtide under construction
great video! awesome to see the fight those bonefish have

strikezone 1

Oct 14, 2007
downey
Name
joshua hendricks
Boat
23 keywest strikezone
i go down there and do that as offten as possible. it wont be long befor they close that area too. its great to take the kids or people who dont get out on the open ocean much. lots of action, flat water, and not too many people.

strikezone 1

Oct 14, 2007
downey
Name
joshua hendricks
Boat
23 keywest strikezone
hey tell phil my family and i are very thankful for him putting his life on the line for us. those guys are dieing for us to enjoy our freedom. thankyou

Kurt

Mistadobalina
Jul 9, 2003
Clairemont
Visit site
Name
Kurt
Boat
%%%%%
i go down there and do that as offten as possible. it wont be long befor they close that area too. its great to take the kids or people who dont get out on the open ocean much. lots of action, flat water, and not too many people.
Why would they close it?

PeskaHunter

Feb 10, 2009
Nevada
Name
Frank
Boat
Bones have been here for years now. Transplanted in the holds of Cruise ships from Florida no doubt. All over the bay..tons in South bay.

Tricky fish though. VERY Strong for their size. Don't bother trying to eat one. They are called BONE fish for a reason.

Foss

Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
WTG on the bone fish. Been some good tide swings lately.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Another great place for Bonefish is the estuary between MCRD and the old NTC. My parents and I would fish from the shore(NTC side) and catch bonefish ,needlefish,croaker,bass,halibut and flounder using Ghost shrimp we would pump during low tide in the 70's. I cruised back in there 2 weeks ago just to look around now that they do not have a guard at the bridges anymore.Some of the same cement chunks are still there that we would stand on during the incoming tide. Bonefish have been around for more years that people think

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Thank you and all your buddies for their service. Happy Veterans Day!

Red Drum

Paradiddle-diddle
Mar 15, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Name
Capt. Vinnie
Boat
Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
Cool video, looks like a ton fun. Thanks for report.

Otto

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Doesn't that bone fish look like a croaker ?