Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Looks like the Rooster is on the cows down on the lower banks. My buddy Billy has what I think are his first 2 cows!!! Now 4 and counting.

Congrats to a great guy. I'm pretty stoked for him, here they are.

12092019b_small.jpg 12092019i_small.jpg 12122019b_small.jpg 12122019d_small.jpg

Pretty damn impressive.

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Pretty damn cool to catch your personal best, and then follow it up with a bigger one on the same trip! Right on Bill, you're rockin' it.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Big trip for Bill. Just checked Facebook and they have reported him with a third at 250 this morning. Yep, but wait, it gets better. They put up another pic a few minutes. Number four for Bill, and this one even bigger at 275!

Workplacesafety

Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
Big trip for Bill. Just checked Facebook and they have reported him with a third at 250 this morning. Yep, but wait, it gets better. They put up another pic a few minutes. Number four for Bill, and this one even bigger at 275!
Well that does it. From now on I'll know him as The Pinball Wizard. Because, "even at my favorite table, he just beat my best"....That's just fantastic!

Who am I kidding, he just crushed my best. Congrats again.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichG

Warlord

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
Three and a half weeks until we board in Cabo. We could easily fish the Jamie in the AM. We’re hoping things will still be great!

Great cell service at the San Jamie. It makes the reports easy to send an increases the excitement level here!

Reactions: Workplacesafety

Mike Nall

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
Heck, I had a livestream going at multiple points of the day. Billy is having a huge trip and we are stoked for him. It’s not easy fishing by any means, not everyone on the trip has a tuna, but if you do, they’re big. At last count, 11 of the 16 passengers have a cow, 16 over 200 and 4 over 300, with one being a 372 on the boat scale. Can’t wait to see what it goes at the dock.

Workplacesafety

Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
Heck, I had a livestream going at multiple points of the day. Billy is having a huge trip and we are stoked for him. It’s not easy fishing by any means, not everyone on the trip has a tuna, but if you do, they’re big. At last count, 11 of the 16 passengers have a cow, 16 over 200 and 4 over 300, with one being a 372 on the boat scale. Can’t wait to see what it goes at the dock.
Hey Mike tell Bill congrats, and he's famous now out here. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts handing off at this point, if he keeps hooking, get a couple passengers a shot, he's that kind of guy

Reactions: RichG

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
How come they never say how the fish are caught? Saying they caught a big fish is nice, but it would be more interesting if they mention how it was caught, what bait, time of day, hook, line size, drift/anchor/run-n-gun, maybe even a description of the fight. Are they biting on top or with sinker rigs? Any detail... Something we can use as we plan our next trips.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
How come they never say how the fish are caught? Saying they caught a big fish is nice, but it would be more interesting if they mention how it was caught, what bait, time of day, hook, line size, drift/anchor/run-n-gun, maybe even a description of the fight. Are they biting on top or with sinker rigs? Any detail... Something we can use as we plan our next trips.
You're getting a live on the water update and you're complaining? Lol just lol

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
You're getting a live on the water update and you're complaining? Lol just lol
We are all so spoiled... But yes, if you spend the time to upload a photo, please say how it was caught. 30 words won't kill ya.

Reactions: Cubeye

Mike Nall

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
If you are fb friends with Mike you can get in on the live feeds. I have been lucky enough to be in on 3 of them , he will talk back to you and its like you are there with them all. It has been the highlight of my boring ass evenings.:-):-):-)
Whoa, Larry “Cow hunting with Hawk“is for a specialized audience. I’ll be doing it more often though whe we fish the lower banks.

Reactions: RichG and Steve K

SD Bass Assassin

Formally gurnman
Aug 30, 2009
lakeside
Name
Bill
Boat
Champion 200
Thanks Jeff for the props, I’m fortunate to have made such great friends in the long range community. A trip of a lifetime for sure. All the gigantic tuna that kept coming over the rail, I was in awe.

I’ll try and get a report out with all the skinny on what worked and what didn’t work. Thanks everybody for the kind words.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Nice going Bill. You were the "hot stick." Now you have to make another goal. 4 cows in one trip. Have a great Christmas, looking forward to your report.

Richard.

Workplacesafety

Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
Are they run and gun or on anchor?
Talked to Bill yesterday. He reports that all the fish were on an extremely scratchy pick on the anchor. This makes his 4 cows all the more impressive.

I don't know for sure, but I know he was down to 100lb because he tells me he got a marlin trying for the cows on 100. He's stoked. If any of those cows came on 100 well, that's pretty special.

Workplacesafety

Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
As he tells me the trip started on the Hurricane Bank, no current. 40 wahoo,trolling around, stop and go fishing, but nice one's up to around 50lbs. They stayed over 1 night, nothing the next morning. Left and spent the rest of the trip up on the Jamie, and Golden Gate Banks. Made bait every night...that sounds like Captian Andy. Look forward to Billy's report.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Sitting on anchor and wait. Hardest kind of fishing for me. But the lower banks have some nice fish when they wanna play. So down near Cabo... Anybody looking at Lusitania or Potato?