SD/9 MILE 5/27

greg goddard

May 30, 2008
SF, CA, usa
Name
greg goddard
Boat
246 Shamrock
Got nice bait at Mission Bay and worked north to Solano Beach for nothing, then out to the 9 mile to look for paddies, water temp 63, found one that was empty, found another with birds sitting on top, fished it hard, trolled around, went up to paddy and drifted live bait, put down jigs and still nothing. Lots of porpoise after that. Went into Pt Loma and birds and bait, hooked 8 baracuda, 6 cut the line, lost about a 10 pound yellowtail to the Big Dog, and landed 2, also 2 nice Calicos. Any tips on keeping the cudas from biting thru your line?

Greg
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

makohunterz

I'm that one guy
Jul 18, 2008
hemet
Name
markis
Boat
eventually gonna get one named "MakoHunterz"
use a heavy mono, flouro, or wire leader. You only need a foot or two

Kelpbedhead

Hippie Hater
May 15, 2009
San diego
Name
James
Boat
20' Baja Bayrunner
The barries have been good size as of late aruond the point. If your flylining live bate the larger fish tend to swallow the bait quickly. Dont let them run too long like your fishing for Yellows. If they have it too long they will swallow it and cut your line. Wire leaders are always a good idea. Barries dont mind the wire.

pv apollo

Mar 6, 2008
hemet,ca
Name
scott
Boat
23 palm beach, PV APOLLO(sold)
I had some wire leadrers called "Toothy Critter Catcher's" and these were made in the 50's. Funny thing is the package had an Albacore with unusually large teeth somewhat similar to shark's chompers. Even funnier is that these were used to catch albies back in the old days and they didn't mind. I don't think the flouro guys are going to go back to the stone age with Penn 112H for their "heavy stuff" and fish with mono stiff as all hek and top it off with either an 18 or 36 inch "Toothy Critter Catcher". Ask a really old timer and see if they remember "the good old days". Use the wire 18 inch on the jigs if you're concerned about losing one and the wire helps the jig swim better,40lb is fine.