DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Donut for the night, first time I’ve seen sculpin in the trap!? 3 good ones, should have kept them for some seafood. Next week? Maybe
Have a fishing rod onboard if you plan on keeping sculpin or any other fish in the hoop; its illegal to use a net to catch and retain fish other than a throw net for bait. And by the way, you need to find another spot. It was pretty crowded out there last night but there are few other spots that produce you just have to find them.

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
Have a fishing rod onboard if you plan on keeping sculpin or any other fish in the hoop; its illegal to use a net to catch and retain fish other than a throw net for bait. And by the way, you need to find another spot. It was pretty crowded out there last night but there are few other spots that produce you just have to find them.
Thank you Mr doghouse, I did not know that! I never go out without a rod at the ready!!

Reactions: Hey-19
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
Also an idea, a rod, (a stout one) is not bad to have in case your floats get pulled under, or the line is short! I was not paying attention and moved hoops deeper without paying out more line. The result was a flashing light 5' under the surface! My friend Mark had a rod, so we hooked it and brought it up. A little bit of a pain, but got it! (Scampi) Phew! Another time, the line broke at the hoop, and I quickly marked the spot on my GPS. The next day, (No rod on board), I went back and snagged it with my troller first cast with a diamond jig! Bringing one from here out! Doghouse knows his stuff!

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Also an idea, a rod, (a stout one) is not bad to have in case your floats get pulled under, or the line is short! I was not paying attention and moved hoops deeper without paying out more line. The result was a flashing light 5' under the surface! My friend Mark had a rod, so we hooked it and brought it up. A little bit of a pain, but got it! (Scampi) Phew! Another time, the line broke at the hoop, and I quickly marked the spot on my GPS. The next day, (No rod on board), I went back and snagged it with my troller first cast with a diamond jig! Bringing one from here out! Doghouse knows his stuff!
Joe you’re one lucky dude to find a submerged float and even luckier to snag your hoop on the bottom the next day. I can’t tell you how many hoops we’ve lost on a big tide swing on the edge of the channel. I’ve tried jigs and even a grappling hook to try and find them and lost the grappling hook as well on a snag.

Don’t ask me how I know about about having a rod on board while keeping sculpin; let’s just say it could have been an expensive fish dinner after the warden talked to me about it.

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
Must have gotten luck x 2- the light could be seen, barely on the short roped one. I hit MOB when the rope broke on the second one, and dropped that diamond head right on it! I have a underwater camera which may be useful in finding lost pots in the future. I wonder if you drained the bay how many would be reveled on the bottom! Paying attention to details would have prevented both of these!

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Nothing stranger looking than your lite float colorfully blinking away about 5' down, swaying back and forth in the current with about 40 lb of kelp fronds enveloping it surrounded by darkness. We waited for the slack and hooked it with a gaff.

Califbill

Jun 16, 2011
    Pleasanton, CA
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    Gypsea
    Years ago, in LB harbor, did not realize the line was tangled in the dark. Could not see the light. Next morning, went out and float sticking straight up, just enough line for the float to clear the surface. Easy retrieval, until coming in. Winds hit and went from 5 to 40 mph in seconds. Spun the boat 270 when it hit. Wife was in farmers market in harbor and ezups were flying. People calling for tows as the sailboat did not have enough power in the kicker to make headway. Exciting day. Nice to have 300+ horsepower.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot