Scratches on lower unit? Whats causing it?

Draglock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
Hey guys, I have a 2120 with a yamha 150. I got a brand new lower unit out in a few years ago and noticed im starting to develop scratches around my lower unit. Is this normal? Possibly from running into kelp/debris in the water? Scratches are fairly deep.. the area is higher than the bottom of my hull which logically shouldn't be getting scratches like this from just kelp right?

20201116_125359.jpg

20201116_125407.jpg

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
I say fishing line and wire leader and stuff like that.
That's loose in the water? Im very careful about not wrapping my lower unit up with fishing line or running into kelp on water. Its happened before but not often

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
That's loose in the water? Im very careful about not wrapping my lower unit up with fishing line or running into kelp on water. Its happened before but not often. But it makes sense that it could be wires from leaders or something floating in the water. Crazy how deep they are though.

djam

Jun 2, 2008
Irvine
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2320 (Terabite)
Some of the angles of the scratches are 45 degrees or more, or have a swooping configuration. And this only appears in one section of the lower unit, the section that is above the bottom of the hull. I keep thinking to myself, something heavy at that distance. Check if something is loose maybe>

Reactions: Draglock

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
I was wondering if something loose was hitting it too but there's not much there that can swing out like that, only the ground on the anode right there but its screwed in tight. Even that isn't long enough to wrap that area with scratches like that in my observation.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You don't mount your transom saver there do you ?

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
You don't mount your transom saver there do you ?
No I don't trailer using a transom saver. I just tilt the outboard all the way up and put down the latch

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
I would guess kelp floats back under the boat, gets caught between lower unit and hull, then when you take off, it slides out or gets ripped out when underway causing some scratches. They can attach to rocks and whatnot so maybe that’s what’s scratching it. I have similar ones but they are on the lower fin.

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
I would guess kelp floats back under the boat, gets caught between lower unit and hull, then when you take off, it slides out or gets ripped out when underway causing some scratches. They can attach to rocks and whatnot so maybe that’s what’s scratching it. I have similar ones but they are on the lower fin.
Hmm could be, I would expect it to be lower too if that were the case.

Reactions: djam

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
kelp snails possibly, if you pull into kelp beds...they like to hang out near the surface..used to see similiar scratches when I dove commercially inside kelp beds..

Draglock

Feb 19, 2015
Name
Peter
Boat
Parker 2120
kelp snails possibly, if you pull into kelp beds...they like to hang out near the surface..used to see similiar scratches when I dove commercially inside kelp beds..
It could be... in that area though? Don't you think it would scratch thr lower unit too? Including skegg? Everywhere else looks almost new

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
Nov 25, 2005
cardiff
Name
owyn
Boat
15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
Do you have a dog? My dog used to like to taste my outboard like that. I think it was her way of letting me know she gets mad when I don't take her fishing!

Reactions: gecsr1

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I doubt very much it from when you are in the water..
maybe some animal around your neighborhood is attacking it when parked.

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
I've seen otters use hulls and outboards as a tool to get into clams and mussels