Scotty Electric Downrigger Experts.

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Wild Bill, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Last trip out I broke a belt on one of my Scotty Electrics. Not big deal as I had a spare belt and put it on. That's when the problem started. When pulling the lever back to drop the ball it would not pay out freely. I opened the cover up and adjusted the nut to allow the spool to spin more freely when pulling back on brake lever but this only helped slightly. After fighting it for awhile trying to fish, I finally pulled belt back off and found it drops like a dream. So next I lube up idler sheave thinking I've found the smoking gun. Wrong! Next suspect is the drive sheave but it spins with the same resistance as the working rigger. Hmmm! As am am contemplating my next move I notice the new belt is already getting pretty frayed on the upper edge. Upon fuurther inspection it appears that the main spool sheave is lower than either the idler or the drive sheave. It is not like this on the other working rigger. Until the belt broke this rigger also worked fine. I did not have time after the trip to tear into it any further but I plan on tackling it tonight. Any ideas on what might have caused this misalignment? Maybe brake pads are worn down to far?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Buzz2401

Buzz2401 Boat HO

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    glass
    Take it to a repair facility. They have a life time warranty.

3. 9/0NASTY

9/0NASTY TEAM AWESOME

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    24' NR Seahawk O/S BALLSDEEP
    it sounds to me like the motor is tits up and not letting it free fall. I would take it to the shop they are pretty quick on turnaround times.

4. tdchinn

tdchinn Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    21' Wooldrige SS Offshore
    It is the motor had this happen to me. Motor was replaced for no charge through Scotty warranty.

5. Badandy

Badandy Newbie

Name:
    Andy P.
    Boat:
    23' Olympic
    Johns Sporting Goods in N. Everett is the place to go up here. John has a quick turn aound time.

6. J.D.

J.D. Member

Name:
    John Hansen
    Boat:
    Waders
    Did you adjust the tension of the adjustable idler itself or just slide on the new belt? The new belts are not worn/stretched so you may want to back the idler off a hair. Often new belts fit tighter than the old worn ones. Simple fix that might save you a trip to, and downtime at the warranty repair facility of your choice.

7. Whalerjunky

Whalerjunky Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    One that floats
    Drop it off at Outdoor emporium. Lori (repairs Scotty) will do it for free if you are the original owner. She at times has loaner units that she will lend you while she is repairing yours.

8. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
    I think Defiance Marine does warranty work now as well if you live on the peninsula.

9. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Tom at Sportco will also take care of you

10. Jailer1

Jailer1 Sea Raider

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    24ft North River o/s Seahawk The Pelagic Expresss
    X2, had the same problem when replacing belt. Just adjust belt tension, and it will pay out cable better. If not, then probably the motor.

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Thanks all for the replies. I will try adjusting the idler/tension sheave and see if it works. If not off it wil go to Johns. May all your lines be tight and your downriggers pay out freely!