Uncle Binky

Proficient at swapping lower units
Oct 17, 2010
Monroe WA USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Herring Voices - Grady White 265 Express
I think I'm bitter because I was with my son trying to do it all and didn't notice it until I went to go drop a ball down and had no display.

One of those....you don't know until you know sort of things.

Try this - Buy a line counter reel. Pretend you're gonna use it for mooching - you know, the kind you do out at Point No Point, not the kind where you dodge paying for gas on your buddy's boat. Use that reel for downrigger fishing on the Scotty when the counter takes a shit. Most of us with the high speeds have had one or more of those things go out, and it's a bitch, but doesn't have to ruin your day.

Upvote 0

moravec

Boston Whaler 18' Outrage
Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
Boston Whaler 18; Outrage
I was all gung-ho about the high speed Scotty's. Still love them, but the counter was a huge design flaw. I have two 2016's and have had 3 counter failures over the last four years. Scotty has recognized this failure. I called them a month ago and they said they have replaced with a version that has a replaceable battery. However, they will only warranty them if they are less than two years old. Remove the digital counter, call Scotty customer service, and give them the serial number located on the underside of the counter. I got one freebie, and paid for two... hopefully the newer version lasts! Best of luck.

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
I think I'm bitter because I was with my son trying to do it all and didn't notice it until I went to go drop a ball down and had no display.

One of those....you don't know until you know sort of things.

Now I just salmon fish on other people's boats so I don't have to worry about it...
Just give the wide open 10 count on one side and 7 count on the other and call it good... it will still fish .

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I don't use my 2106's a lot, and when I'm not using them they hang on the wall in the shop. I bought them in early 2013 and the original counters are still operational... I suppose now that I've said that, they'll quit?
This is no poo! I was dusting off the 'riggers the other day and discovered both are D.E.A.D. LOL I should have bought Cannon's.

(Yes, I know this thread is like 9 months old, and I didn't go to search out my reply specifically. I searched to recall the best place to buy, and found my own premonition.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
First call should be to Scotty. I have had my 2106 s since they first came out and just had my first counter fail last year. Called Scotty and they mailed me a new one. I always keep a spare on the boat in case one fails on a trip.

Upvote 0

RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Just retrofit a mechanical counter and be done. The spare mechanical counter is half the size to store and likelihood you'll need it in the next 10 years is almost zero. The digital counters read 5-15ft off anyway.

Upvote 0