JayG

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2015
Mill Creek
Name
Jay
Boat
NR 31 OS “Adrienne Rose”
Happened all the time on my previous 2106B’s. I took them into 3 Rivers and they exchanged them for new ones at no cost to me.
As stated above the new ones use AAA batteries.

Upvote 0

ledbed6b

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Scotty has great customer service, I had a brand new pair of counters each go down (moisture/fogged up) right before a multi day big trip. John's wasn't able to meet my time constraints so Scotty overnighted me the counters on their dime,

Reactions: Tomictime
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
My original ones, with sealed batteries, lasted well over 5 years.

This year I finally had to buy the new ones with batteries. I would buy a spare just in case.

I found some places that it was cheaper to buy the entire top with new battery counters.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Bayside Marine Santa Cruz CA had entire assembly less than counter itself. I bought both.

If your original owner, Scotty should take care of you.

I bought them because it was a last minute need.

Reactions: FISHFEARME72
Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I stock the whole new lid. It is like $5 more for the whole new lid than the counter alone.

I don't stock the counters by themselves anymore. Got tired of asshats walking out to their truck, opening the package, swapping their clean new one with a salty, scratched up failed one telling me the one they just bought doesn't work.

Take it to a Scotty service center. If your riggers are registered, then Scotty replaces the first one as a warranty repair. the service center is reimbursed for the warranty. A non-servicing dealer doesn't get reimbursed.

Reactions: GregE
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Your the man Howie, but really, you're a hard-core fisherman and bitching about 55 bucks?

Hemorrhaging money is the deal we all signed up for. Embrace it or leave it. Bird watching is fairly cheap, just a good set of binos and a few gallons of gas :cheers:

Reactions: liltrouble
Upvote 0

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
I went to Johns this afternoon to just buy a new one and they were closed--- so I ain't bitching too much.

And to be honest, I think I bought them and snuggled them over the border to take advantage of the Canadian funny money...

I broke out a couple of boat bucks this week- bottom paint, engine service, new EPIRB, and the engine cowlings are getting painted/new decals soon....it's just a cherry on top

Upvote 0

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
There is a 2 year Warranty on the counters, they changed and upgraded. They did me right on both of mine.
I supplied a receipt and it was all good.

Upvote 0

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
35 Carolina Classic
Well I bought mine for the worldcat...then didn't end up using them for 2 years (fished salmon on other boats). One was still NIB the other I used to decend rock fish. I went to finally use them for salmon and they wouldn't turn on.

I took them to sportco and they looked at some serial number and told me I did NOT qualify for a free replacement...so yeah I'm a little bitter because I paid for 2 new "updated" displays on what were basically brand new riggers.

This was back when they didn't have a power on/off function. Funny part is I remember someone asking Tom Nelson at a PSA meeting when the high speeds were introduced about battery life.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I don't use my 2106's a lot, and when I'm not using them they hang on the wall in the shop. I bought them in early 2013 and the original counters are still operational... I suppose now that I've said that, they'll quit?

Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
The digital displays are a nightmare. They need to go back to the mechanical counters. Johns sporting goods will do this mod for a fee (they are closed on Sundays though).

Scotty has a rep of being reliable. The high speed digital counter is going to erode that rep. My Old 1106s get abused, soaked with saltwater, never cleaned and they work great. I’ve done belts, cracked a spool, replaced brakes once, and added the spring mod (best $2 ever spent).

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
The digital displays are a nightmare. They need to go back to the mechanical counters. Johns sporting goods will do this mod for a fee (they are closed on Sundays though).

Scotty has a rep of being reliable. The high speed digital counter is going to erode that rep. My Old 1106s get abused, soaked with saltwater, never cleaned and they work great. I’ve done belts, cracked a spool, replaced brakes once, and added the spring mod (best $2 ever spent).
spring mod?

Upvote 0

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
35 Carolina Classic
you guys you all own 10,000-300,000 boats and you are bitching about a counter, that costs 60$ish dollars, fuck me. Keep a spare on the boat. Still beats a cannon any day of the week

I think I'm bitter because I was with my son trying to do it all and didn't notice it until I went to go drop a ball down and had no display.

One of those....you don't know until you know sort of things.

Now I just salmon fish on other people's boats so I don't have to worry about it...

Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
spring mod?

You cut a small grove and insert this spring to slightly push the brake lever forward. This eliminates the free spool that occasionally occurs when you hit the stop but the brake doesn’t engage. I’ll take a pic sometime.

Reactions: bdrlgion
Upvote 0