Scorpion Sportfishing featuring El Regalo East Cape Report - July 30, 2015

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Fish Scorpion & El Regalo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Fish Scorpion & El Regalo

Fish Scorpion & El Regalo Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Matthew Clifton
    Boat:
    35' Cabo "El Regalo" and 26' "Scorpion"
    Scorpion Sportfishing featuring El Regalo East Cape Report - July 30, 2015

Anglers visiting the East Cape this week were greeted with flat seas and warm weather. Afternoon thunderstorms have cooled off things providing some chop as they passed.

As with last week, Marlin and sailfish have still been the main game in town. Striped and blue marlin have been found as close to a couple of miles from shore with sailfish also in the mix. At times, we have found multiple billfish feeding in a concentrated area drawing several strikes in a short amount of time.

Good sized roosterfish have also provided a lot of action. Caballitos have been working well to get bites from this beautiful species. Sometimes hooking the bait in the back worked while other times trolling with a nose hook was the ticket. Mixed in with roosterfish have been some good eating snapper species.

Action from other species has been slower. There have been some wahoo caught south as well as some tuna. However, the action has been sporadic making it a difficult decision to run far when the action for marlin and roosterfish has been so good close to home. We did head down south for a couple of days last week. Trolling early for wahoo we elicited several strikes but were not able to keep them buttoned up.

Later, we worked the Los Frailes area for roosterfish. While we had a nice 35 lb roosterfish on the line for our client Travis Lefler, I quickly tossed another bait over board in hopes of getting his wife Emily a much desired roosterfish as well. The bait was quickly gobbled up and we thought we had another nice roosterfish on the line. To our surprise when we saw color, there was a flash of yellow that got us scrambling for the gaff. It was a 50 lb yellowfin tuna!

Everybody was ecstatic that we got such a tasty treat fishing inshore. Avid fishermen in Florida and used to running anywhere from 30-80 miles offshore just to find any action for pelagics, the Leflers were shocked that they got such a good grade of tuna so close to shore. The next day we hit the same area and got Emily her roosterfish as well as Travis his striped marlin on the way home. Needless to say, I think they are hooked on the East Cape!

My mom also was in town for a couple of days this week. Anxious to get in on the action, we found time in between our scheduled maintenance to take her out for a half day. Never having caught a roosterfish or a marlin, she was rewarded with both on our 4 hour excursion. She was so pumped to get a great roosterfish and a blue marlin as well. With her kind of luck, she might need to be on the boat for our upcoming tournaments.

Everyday when anglers arrive on our boats we ask them what species they would like to target. When they ask me what I think I always tell them to target what is hot right now. Sure, there is always a chance of going out for tuna or wahoo and hitting a homerun. There is also a chance of striking out when action isn't particularly hot for those species. What we have found is that we when target what is hot we often times encounter other unexpected species in unexpected places. When bait is concentrated all kinds of species come to get in on the action. That is what I find so amazing about fishing on the East Cape. Go fishing, put your bait in the water and be ready for whatever the Sea of Cortez gives you! You never know what you are going to get...

striperthrash.jpg leflerrooster.jpg leflertuna.jpg emilyleflerpargo.jpg emilyleflerrooster.jpg leflerstriper.jpg momgallo.jpg momblue.jpg roosterswoosh.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Full Throttle79

Full Throttle79 Newbie

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Full Throttle
    We had an awesome trip! Great first time fishing the east cape, definitely coming again next year. Anyone looking to come fish east cape definitely needs to look up Scorpion sportfishing, hard working crew, great boats and probably the best gear I have seen on a charter boat. Thanks again for a great time