Scope?

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by Sluester, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Dang you guys shellin out sum dough for optics :D Hope those Elk don't mind shootin em with the cheaper stuff :D

2. Jerky

Jerky Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    no thanks..
    Most items you find at the El Cajon Gun Exchange are almost twice the price. That scope can be found for about $250 at other places.:pelvic_Th

3. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    You are better off having a cheap rifle and a really good scope than the other way around. A weapon, regardless of cost and quality, can only be as good as it's sights. Not a place to skrimp, IMO.

4. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Newbie

Name:
    Chuck
    Boat:
    No name jon boat.
    Sorry El Toro I cannot agree with you on this one. Granted cheap glass`is cheap glass but the rifle is a lot more important. A rifle that holds a 4 or 5 MoA with a US OPTICS or SCHMIDT and BENDER is still going to shoot a 5MOA. But a half MOA gun will always shoot as long as the scope or crosshairs aren't moving. I know guy that has a tasco on his AI you know thats almost a 6k dollar rifle and he can shoot 1MOA out to a thousand yards all day. Big budget rifles don't mean anything more than that sluester. Check out snipershide.com and ask your question there those guys will point you in the right direction or pm I know a dealer of firearms and optics who can probably find whatever you want for a budget good luck.

5. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Scope geeks!LOL

Thanks for all the information. :D

Brent, you in town this week? Call me.

6. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Chevypickle, you may be right from a target perspective. I'm talking about huning. MOA is far less important on a hunting rifle. Minute of Deer is what counts. Having a 1/2 MOA rifle is nice (I have a couple) for confidence sake, and at the bench, but for hunting purposes it is really no more effective than a gun that shoots 1.5-2 MOA. For this reason, having a good quality scope that will be bright at first and last light, one that won't fog up, one that wont leak in rain and snow, one where the lenses wont easily scratch, and of course one that will hold up to years of recoil and abuse is far more important than sniper like accuracy of .5 minute out of a rifle. For hunting you do not need super precise accuracy out of your rifle, but you do need to be able to see your target under all legal light and weather conditions, and you need to be able to rely on the scope's durability and ability to hold zero.

A cheapo factory rifle is perfectly capable of being plenty accurate enough for hunting, but a cheapo scope is probably not worthy of such use. It's a practicality debate, and for hunting, you are better off saving a few dollars on your rifle and spending it on a good scope with good mounts.

7. Rob E

Rob E Yo soy su poppi...

Name:
    Rob Espinosa
    Boat:
    La launcha se fue...
    Swarovski, Leupold & Weaver for rifle scopes; Swarovski ST80 for spotting scope, and still looking to replace my Leupold binnoc's.

Rob

8. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Newbie

Name:
    Chuck
    Boat:
    No name jon boat.
    So when hunting africa how big is the average target seeing almost every animal is a brain shot. And if you are hunting with a rifle that shoots a 2 MOA at 300yds thats a 6inch group now knowing most shots are not from the prone shooting at the vitals which we both probably will agree is ten inches at the most that doesn't leave a lot of room for error. Me personally I won't take a shot unless its going to be a clean kill. I don't want to waste an animal and that trophy deer of a lifetime might just get away only to die of a gut shot.

9. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Dang, all those deer I shot at a couple hundred yards, open sight 30-30.

What was I thinking? LOL

never lost one either.

10. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    I LOVE my Nikon scope. It's not the Buckmaster but whatever is the next level up. Pretty reasonably priced and berry berry nice.

I agree w/ Nate. Don't skimp on the optics. Most modern rifles will do the job and optics are bound to fail a lot more often than the firearm. It's fun to talk sub MOA but when you're shooting at a critter it 'don't matter so much'.

11. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I'll be hunting Africa next year and I sure don't plan on shooting anything in the brain.

If you can hit a 6" plate consistently at 300 yards that is actually quite good, especially from hunting positions. I'm not sure I could do that, even with two of my custom guns that will easily shoot 1/2 moa. Compare a gun that shoots sub MOA versus one that shoots 1-2 moa. With a big game animal as a target, the slightly more accurate one is of no real advantage under field conditions, but being able to really see the animal well definitely is. In the right hands the shot should hit the mark with either gun, but not if you can't see it well due to a cheap scope. Bottom line, most game is killed right at first or last light and often in crappy weather, I'll take a $300 Leupold on a $500 rifle in those situations any day over a $2000 rifle with a $100 scope on it. You can't hit what you can't see.

Just curious, Chevypickle, how many big game animals have you downed? Not trying to start a pissing match, just wondering. I'll understand if you don't want to respond.

12. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    I have a Burris full field II 3x9x40 on my Ruger .270.

Good scope IMO

13. chevypickle23

chevypickle23 Newbie

Name:
    Chuck
    Boat:
    No name jon boat.
    As far as african animals haven't done that yet. And I am not talking about a 2 thousand dollar rifle with a hundred dollar scope. A 300 dollar leupold is not in any means a high end scope either. I think we have each other confused. A 6 or 7 hundred dollar scope on a gun that you paid less for is what I am getting at. My best friend has a father that can afford to hunt africa every year. On the bigger game with thicker skin a vital shot doesn't happen brain shots are where its at. As far as offhand yes I can see where you are coming from but who shoots offhand if they don't have to tree supported ruck supported, shooting sticks, hasty sling worst case scenario. As far as things I have killed many more than you have due to two way ranges where a first shot that kills the game is the only shot can understand if you haven't done that not trying to get in a pissing match either. Just stating facts I know I can kill efficiently and have downed antelope at as far as 650 yds and that was with one shot and I wasn't shooting at the body and I definitly put the round where I wanted."Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of a man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

14. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Right on Bro. Whatever floats your boat. I'm not sure I understand your cryptic response to my question but it's not important.

My responses were directly related to the question here. We were talking about scopes in the $100-150 range, like the poster mentioned. If this is your perspective of lower-end, $300 probably would be viewed as high end. No you don't need to spend a mint on a scope, but given a servicable hunting rifle that is capable of average accuracy, you are better off with a quality scope on that gun, than you are with an expensive custom rifle and a cheapo Tasco.

I'm done.

15. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Don't forget see through rifle scope mounts.

16. jephs422

jephs422 My beetles need food

Name:
    Jeph S
    Boat:
    malibu X-Faxtor
    I have a pretty solid rule of thumb. I spend at least as much on the optics as I did my rifle (up to a point) Like I stated before, 90% of my hunting is at night. And I don't go hunting a few weekends a year. I hunt almost 80 days some years. So for me, Optics are 100% the most important thing to me. Whether it be binocs, or scope.

Now, hunting deer, a 1-2 MOA rifle is just fine. Almost nobody (I said almost) takes deer out to 300 yards anyhow, so a big game rifle does not have to be a tack driver. But I guarantee that I wouldn't set foor in the field unless I know that at first light I had a scope that I could see through.

For example, my main calling rifle is a Savage 10FP with a custom stock. I'm in to it for less than $500.00. It is topped with a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 Illuminated reticle. I stole it for about the same prioce as the rifle. Another example, I am getting ready to pick up my full custom 6x47 Wildcat built off of a Sako action. I'll have roughly 3k into this thing. My scope is a Luepold VX-III 4.5-15x50 w/ 30mm main tube Illuminated reticle. Cost about more than half of what the rifle was.

17. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector

HEY, I'm not that much of a cheap bastard. I wrote 100-150 but I should have said yds. LOL My bad.

IMO if you're shooting at anything in the woods that is over 200 yds you're just target practicing.;)