albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Looking for recommendations on a scope mounting kit. I want to be able to mount and center my scopes myself. This would also allow me to swap out scopes between rifles should I want to go in that direction.

See several different ones on e-bay, but I don't have the knowledge to know which are the better options.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Not sure of a kit. All you need is a screwdriver and/or torx wrench that comes with rings/bases, a set of ring aligning bars (especially important if using 2 pc bases), and a boresighter.

Upvote 0

albacore11

May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
I was thinking about levels so that you can, make certain your your elevation and windage turrets are level/perpendincular.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I think the most important thing is getting the right height scope mounts for the scope and rifle your installing it on.. and a inexpensive bore sighter about 30.00 bucks almost everywhere.... and a small level , also tight all screws evenly till tight... I do all my own...

It's fun... and easy.... sometimes you get one and you have to shim the scope in the mounts to get the elevation and or windage dialed in... but not very often....

Upvote 0

albacore11

May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
I have just mounted a new scope on my Ruger American .223. I just wanted to test that the turrets are in proper alignment before I head to the range and dial it in.

So, any recommendations on the bore sighter?

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I have just mounted a new scope on my Ruger American .223. I just wanted to test that the turrets are in proper alignment beforyou e I head to the range and dial it in.

So, any recommendations on the bore sighter?
most ranges rent them for five bucks.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Chick at P2k said so far they have had 3 people shoot a round with the laser finder stuck on the barrel :rofl:

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Yeah that kinda ruins the boresighter....lol
So, if you do that, what do you say right after it happens. :rofl:.............whoops :rofl:

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Not sure of a kit. All you need is a screwdriver and/or torx wrench that comes with rings/bases, a set of ring aligning bars (especially important if using 2 pc bases), and a boresighter.
VERY IMPORTANT!
A brand new scopes rings should be honed or lapped to ensure even contact.Hone till about 80-90 percent of rings are bare metal.I have the wheeler engineering kit,comes with everything you need.Im sure there are probably kits of a lot higher quality that a professional gunsmith might use but this kit does does just fine for the price.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
It depends on your budget. If you can afford it, get a Larue, bobro, Spuhr, or GG&G quick disconnect mounts. I prefer the Bobro mounts where the entire mount is a single piece and not two separate rings. The Bobro is designed better than the Larue mounts and it compensates for different picatinny rail sizes. It is more rigid and provides better repeatability. To mount it properly, you need to have a good set of levels. Wheeler engineering makes a great set of scope levelers that you can accurately align your scope. You only need a good stand that can hold the rifle in place and a plumb bob to make a vertical line for the vertical alignment. It is not an easy task, but there are lots of sources on the internet on the steps to properly align the scope for long range.

The best way to check your vertical alignment is to just draw on a cardboard a straight level line and shoot at it, adjust the knob for the next height, shoot again, etc. You will see if the scope is aligned properly if its straight. If it start tilting, you have to readjust your scope.

You don't really need a bore sighter to align your scope. Just shoot at a 100 yard metal target and watch for the dust to kick up. It would be easier to have a spotter to help you if the recoil is heavy. If you rather use a bore sight, Leupold makes a good bore sighter called the Leupold Zero that can get you on paper most of the time on the first shot and if you know what you are doing, the second shot is right on target.

If you plan to do long range, you will need a scope mounted level. The level is to help you align the scope relative to the ground. Any tilting can have a major affect when you are shooting beyond 600 yards.

If you plan to move the scope from rifle to rifle, and it has different calibers, make sure you get a MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL scope and not a BDC scope. The BDC scopes are calibrated for a specific caliber and will not track properly if the weather/humidity changes, the elevation, or even types of bullets. If you get a MOA reticle, be sure the dial is MOA also. The same goes if you decide to go MIL reticle, your dial needs to be MIL also. If they are different, you have to compensate between a MIL and MOA and its a pain in the rear. If you plan to go long range, a front focal plane reticle is preferred, but it is more expensive. The front focal plane reticles stays the same size relative to the magnification. If you are zoomed in to a target, the reticle looks large and when you are zoomed out, it looks small. The reason it is preferred is because you don't have to compensate for the zoom magnification when you calculate your bullet drop for a specific distance.

Good luck.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...velers/retical-leveling-system-prod56977.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Also another tip.
Do not mismatch your rings.This goes especially for after lapping.As soon as I take one set apart I will make a mark on both undersides that mate.

A"v" on one set and an "x" on the other or one dot and two dots from a spring loaded center punch will suffice.

Upvote 0

albacore11

May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
I want to thank all of you for your responses. Some replies are probably a tad beyond my skill set, but others have already been acted upon,if not enacted. I do not believe any of my scope rings have been honed; but can't speak for the guns I have acquired that were already fitted. I do know that my last rifle was torqued properly, as I witnessed that when it was sighted in.

Now I will await arrival of ordered items. Then I will do some ring honing. Checking all scope mounted rifles to see if honed or not. After remounting, aligning and torquing then it will be off to Bishop Gun Club for some live fire exercises.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Bigpondonly
Upvote 0