RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
The fluid that comes out of bugs when processing is some nasty shit and could probably be used better than superglue in some situations I call it “Splooge” what say you?

100417F7-4FC4-4CED-BDFE-0F44033D5DEA.jpeg

C-4 Fishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
Hahaha
That is some nasty shit bud

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Did your recent Cat bugs have that slime? Or just the LBC ones?

I have never seen that RodRage. I pull the tails while they are fully alive. I have heard it's blood that turns glue like when they are dead.

Last edited:

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
Do not eat them! Will send you a PM where to send them for analysis. JK I am going to ask my daughter what she thinks as she graduated Oregon State with a marine biology degree last year.

Reactions: Hooops

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
I'm pretty sure the black slime is still just the blood that changes with time and thermal cycling (freezing)

Just like crabs or shrimp if the animal is allowed to die slowly there is some type of chemical change that happens in their blood to cause the meat to spoil and turn to something like ammonia....... I have lost some valuable lobster meat because of this when I used to dispatch them by just putting them into the freeze alive.... I don't do that anymore...

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The grayish, slightly blue blood would be collected prior to processing, though Bayer hasn’t settled on a method. Vacuums can be used to draw it out, or even a needle and a syringe.

Lobster blood could heal warts, shingles and age spots

Reactions: J Woodman

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
I have NEVER had that come out of any lobster I caught and ate. If I had, it likely would have been the last lobster I ate.

NASTY SPLOOGE INDEED !

( Lobster cream-pie ?? )

• Sad
Reactions: pacificscout

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
It is a system for sealing holes in the shells from the inside, and it is like purple epoxy. I drip some on the ground when I am cleaning them, just to see it and remember, and it lasts months. Very strong stuff. If you (or a sheepshead) punctured a hole in the shell, this would ooze out and seal the hole from the saltwater, rather quickly. I used to work at a place that processed live lobster, and have seen the glue in action. Try it next time you have a live bug, but do it somewhere F&G does not suspect you of hooking it! It seals in minutes. I work in an OR now, and they use a product called Dermabond by J&J that is a skin glue/sealant, use in sealing surgical wounds. I swear the idea for this had to come from lobsters. Looks exactly the same! Never really had black stuff come out, I rinse mine in fresh water and dry before wrapping and freezing.

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26

Noms

Dirty taco maker
Aug 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Angel
Boat
15 foot tin can
It is a system for sealing holes in the shells from the inside, and it is like purple epoxy. I drip some on the ground when I am cleaning them, just to see it and remember, and it lasts months. Very strong stuff. If you (or a sheepshead) punctured a hole in the shell, this would ooze out and seal the hole from the saltwater, rather quickly. I used to work at a place that processed live lobster, and have seen the glue in action. Try it next time you have a live bug, but do it somewhere F&G does not suspect you of hooking it! It seals in minutes. I work in an OR now, and they use a product called Dermabond by J&J that is a skin glue/sealant, use in sealing surgical wounds. I swear the idea for this had to come from lobsters. Looks exactly the same! Never really had black stuff come out, I rinse mine in fresh water and dry before wrapping and freezing.
Throwing in tail in freezer after cooking it right?

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Throwing in tail in freezer after cooking it right?
No I do not. Why do you ask in a way that makes me feel I've been doing something wrong for many years?

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
By law you cannot "tail" lobsters. The have to be lept "in the round, intact, for mesurement". But I am sure plenty of folks do. Some freeze the tail in ice, like a friend of mine. Another rinses it and wraps it (saran wrap and papar towels) before freezing. All are not cooked. All have the canal removed with an antenna. You are also allowed only 7 in your posession.

Noms

Dirty taco maker
Aug 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Angel
Boat
15 foot tin can
No I do not. Why do you ask in a way that makes me feel I've been doing something wrong for many years?
I'm trying to figure out if I've been doing it wrong these past couple of years. Usually my lobster never makes it to the freezer.

Reactions: stairman

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I've heard a lot of guys just tail them at night when they get home and if they're not going to eat them within a week they vacuum seal them on styrofoam trays, freeze them, and they last 6-8 months that way. I've also heard you are allowed 7 in possession for each immediate relative in the household even if they don't have a card.

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks for the replys. The next batch of bugs Ill freeze whole and gift to my wife.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Could you have just discovered the perfect Sheephead attractor ?
Here a good question...after tailing and eating the tails can the rest be chopped up and saved for chum?