PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
World Cat 270EC: The Millennium Flounder
Trailering the world cat down on Oct 10 to Dana point to spend 5-7 days out at SCI/Catalina chasing primarily BFT on flyers, yumees, and (my favorite) lots of iron. This will be my first trip down in my own boat (world cat 270ec). Will have two kite rods plenty of yummees and if the fish gods are willing, Plenty of fresh frozen flyers courtesy of one of my crew, local stud Danny T.
The plan is to chase jumbos on the kite, life jacket, and iron. Maybe get the bug wand into the action if we get a hot foamer.
Last year in Nov I managed two BFT of just over #100 on a 150g blue/silver and glow jig (along with a #60 YFT and some schoolie BFT) and working iron is my passion.
I’m just putting the float plan out here to see who else might be out at that time and any tips for a first time SCI DIY tuna junkie on anchoring/overnighting, acquiring ice, processing, pitfalls, vhf Channels to monitor, all the necessary stuff for having a good trip and avoiding peril.
I have lots of offshore captaining under my belt. Most of it further north in the Pacific.
The plan is to launch from Dana point Oct 11 or 12 and be back at the dock by the 18th at some point. We may need to make separate run/s back in for supplies or fish processing. I’ve been researching as much as I can and will continue to do so, but insider info would be sweet!
I’m happy to share intel over the radio and will have 3 or 4 of us on board to give em hell.
Will have; sized up Rocna anchor, 50’ chain and 600’ rope, plus second anchor with similar rope and third backup anchor. Helium tank, balloons, assortment of kites, kite rods, yummees, and the real thing. Lots of iron rods, 90” kill bag, 2x 60” kill bags, small bait tank (practically useless), all setups and terminal gear you can think of, overnight gear, food/water; gaffs, 12’ tender inflatable boat, generator. All safety equipment, lights, epirb, radar, dual vhf, cell range extender. 300 plus mile range when fully loaded. Can comfortably sleep 3 in the cabin. A 4th man will need a cot or pad on the deck.
Any thoughts??

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
October you should be ok with crowds. But because you have a large trailer, you might want to get there early enough so you don't piss yourself looking for a spot to leave it that many days.

I'm sure you've already made the call, but contact the office for long term trailer parking. They only sell 24 hour passes at the machine.

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
Yes, parking is taken care of. One of my crew lives close by in a gated community and got the ok for me to leave the rig there for the duration
☺

Reactions: repo805

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
The details are slowly coming together. I’m half done with four new jig sticks for working the iron deep on meter marks. We have a source for our flying fish and I’ve stocked up on yummee flyers and am starting to crimp up the double trouble rigs. We’ll bring the sabiki sticks to make bait when able.
some unanswered Q’s: ice...is there a good place for shaved ice (or cubed if that’s the only option) both near Dana point and on Catalina?
showers? It would be nice to grab a shower or two during the trip. Does Cat have any options for pay showers? We’ll bring the sun shower if need be.
Any fish processing on Cat? I’d guess we’ll have to run back to port if we get a couple cows. An OK problem to have I suppose.
Getting super stoked!!

Madocarmo

Aug 9, 2020
Upland
Name
Matthew
Boat
2101 Striper WA
I just got back from a 3 day trip to SCI where we slept at Two Harbors Catalina! It was my first time too but well worth it and easier than I expected. As far as ice goes, there’s a convenience store right on shore that I was told should have ice. You’re allowed to pull up to the dock and tie down for 15 minutes to use facilities, get food, etc.
The facilities off Two Harbors has their showers closed because of Covid so I imagine it’s like that all around the island
As far as fish processing I’m not sure! Sadly we didn’t find the tuna on our trip so there was no processing needed lol

Also, Catalina Harbor Patrol is super friendly and there to help with any questions, just radio them on channel 13 and they love to help.

Good luck out there!! We fished the west end back and front side and it’s loaded with kelp. We tried yummee on kite and jigs all day. All we got was a couple bass but around 1pm we started seeing boils and got some yellows to chase our jigs all the way to the boat. Let us know what you find!

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
Thanks much! We’ll definitely report findings and worthwhile details. Planing to trap some bugs too...

Reactions: So Cal

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Sounds awesome. I may do the same thing with the new cat next summer. I’ll be taking notes.

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
Sounds awesome. I may do the same thing with the new cat next summer. I’ll be taking notes.
Hey Laurence - hope you’re staying healthy! We head south on Saturday. West on Sunday! Gonna be a helluva trip! I pity any meter marks that stick around under us!

sdapguy

Sep 25, 2020
US
Name
D P
Boat
1994 15' Dauntless Whaler

As you may already know, the first link provides links for SCI information. First tab on the left column gives you the second link. Click on the date you are planning on being there and you can see when it is safe to be in that area. There are a lot of operations going on and they don't take kindly to a boat fouling their training time. Costs them a lot of money to do the things they do away from others, so others stay safe. It can help you find safe anchorage, especially since the Northwest Harbor should be closed for the next few weeks. A lot of commercial traps when getting near shore, so watch for the floats to avoid fouling props. CG cutter cruising around to help keep distance and checking for other things too. Best not to hang around close to the west side, when they are using the rifle range. It's a restricted area, but some like to push the limits. A lot of ricochets tend to end up over there. There's some good spots to the south east too, if range time pushes you out. Over 7 metric tons hauled one weekend. Don't fall asleep and let the boat keep driving... No short cut between Castle Rock and the shore.
Have a great trip! PM for other questions.

Reactions: aguachico

PharmDoc

Master of MyTunaverse
Aug 27, 2012
Albany/OR/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat

As you may already know, the first link provides links for SCI information. First tab on the left column gives you the second link. Click on the date you are planning on being there and you can see when it is safe to be in that area. There are a lot of operations going on and they don't take kindly to a boat fouling their training time. Costs them a lot of money to do the things they do away from others, so others stay safe. It can help you find safe anchorage, especially since the Northwest Harbor should be closed for the next few weeks. A lot of commercial traps when getting near shore, so watch for the floats to avoid fouling props. CG cutter cruising around to help keep distance and checking for other things too. Best not to hang around close to the west side, when they are using the rifle range. It's a restricted area, but some like to push the limits. A lot of ricochets tend to end up over there. There's some good spots to the south east too, if range time pushes you out. Over 7 metric tons hauled one weekend. Don't fall asleep and let the boat keep driving... No short cut between Castle Rock and the shore.
Have a great trip! PM for other questions.
great reply, and many thanks! I’m sure others will benefit from your post as well!

We overnighted two in a row on tanner and were rewarded with 8 blowups, a pulled hook, a severed 300 lb fluoro wind on after coming tight, and a 110 lb BFT in the kill bag.

Sitting on H1 at Avalon currently, with another day and a half left on the trip. Paddies and foamers tomorrow...

sdapguy

Sep 25, 2020
US
Name
D P
Boat
great reply, and many thanks! I’m sure others will benefit from your post as well!

We overnighted two in a row on tanner and were rewarded with 8 blowups, a pulled hook, a severed 300 lb fluoro wind on after coming tight, and a 110 lb BFT in the kill bag.

Sitting on H1 at Avalon currently, with another day and a half left on the trip. Paddies and foamers tomorrow...
Trying to find the post from the other day, a real nice 415lb yft was weighed in over there. Hope the fog hasn't been too bad for you. Saw a nice bait ball east of Northwest Harbor of SCI about 1400 and had some activity on it, with no boats within 8 miles...

sdapguy

Sep 25, 2020
US
Name
D P
Boat

Latest posts