SCI 10/5 on the Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Pablo2fish, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    I started off the trip at the Harbor Side restaurant with a couple of cold IPA’s. The boat was in late so that worked out perfectly. A quick stop at the Newport bait barge for some sardines that looked like they had been caught that day, shitty bait is par for the course in Newport. The run out is a little rough as we are running sideways to the afternoon chop.

I’m up at 5:30 and ready to kill some fish. The full moon is still setting so I can’t help but wonder if the fish have fed all night and aren’t going to bite. The boat did pretty well the day before so I keep a good attitude. We drive around Desperation Reef looking for the Blue fin and make a few stops, but none want to come up and bite. Around 8:00 Jeff decides to head inside to a high spot, as he’s seen some tuna in there as of late. The anchor is dropped and there are fish on the meter. We start hooking fish within the first 10 minutes. I start off fishing the 25# floro to a #2 owner and get a couple of decent Yellowtail. The Sea Lions are on us, but for some reason aren’t stealing baits or hooked fish. Several Blue fins are caught but I can’t seem to hook one. Butt hooking a Sardine that wants to swim deep is the clear ticket to success. I switch to my Lexa 400 and bump my line to #40 top shot to a #30 leader as the fish aren’t being shy. I grab one of the few Sardines that look lively and send him down and I’m on again. This fish makes a long run and I’m hoping it’s a blue fin; the only problem is a man in grey suit has appeared on the scene. He’s off the boat and between us and another sport boat. I now have my fish up and down and have worked my way up to the starboard bow, and I can just see very deep color. I look to my right and the 10 foot Hammerhead is swimming stern to bow toward my fish. I consider loosening the drag before the shark sees my fish, but decide to chance it. The shark swims past my fish around the bow and proceeds to eat a poor guy’s Blue fin. As quick as possible I pin the drag, get the fish up and Scuba Steve make a perfect gaff shot. 3 Yellowtail in the bag and I can tell it’s going to be a good day. I get one more Yellowtail and decide to give the jig a try. I grab the #50 outfit with a blue/chrome Tady #9 and began to yoyo the jig because the Blue fin seem to like that one. Only one problem after two drops the fishing has slowed and Jeff wants to make a move. I keep fishing as the crew pulls the hook. On the way up on the forth drop the rod loads up and it’s a big fish (Yellowtail?) that take me to the rocks. I free spool a couple of times and try to pull him out but no luck, to add insult to injury the jig that worked is gone too.

We move a very short distance a little more inside to another high spot. I start off with the closest jig I have to the one I lost is a small heavy Sumo in the blue/white. The fish seem to like the chrome better so I go back to bait. I try the butt hooked sardine and just after it hits the water I’m hooked up again and this fish is full speed to the horizon. It nearly spools me on the Lexa 400 before I reach for the drag and give it 2 clicks. This gets him stopped and turned. The fish has shot his wad with the first run and I’m able to short pump him all the way to the boat and it’s a nice 30lb football Blue fin. I get one more Yellowtail on the bait and end up going 5 for 6 on the Yellowtail. By one all the bait that’s still in the tank is dead so we head for the barn. We get one more strike on a trolled jig near the Slide, but it come unbuttoned just as the boat stops.

All in all a great October day fishing on the Thunderbird.

IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3699.JPG IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3702.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great report.

Pablo2fish likes this.
  3. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    Fishin' was good! Nice report.

Pablo2fish likes this.
  4. George Mara

George Mara Newbie

Name:
    Geo
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great report. Tbird is a favorite of mine. Jeff and Andy are both top notch fish finders. Sounds like a lot of fun.

getusum likes this.
  5. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE FISH Paul...boy I miss the years fishing with Goofy TB & Freelance!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  6. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:

7. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    I fish the boat at least once a month, twice a month in the summer. The crew is way cool, kinda feels like family.

8. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Great crew!

9. ROSSOLY

ROSSOLY Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report Paul. I met you last year on the Tbird, I'll have to fish it again soon. Todd

Pablo2fish likes this.