mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
Boats been acting up and did a bunch of work and wanted to test it so what better way than to head over to San Clemente Island. As soon as we lunched I noticed the motor was still not 100% but decided to make the un anyways. Went to San Pedro for bait and left the harbor at 12:30am. Got to about 5 miles from the island at 4:30am and shut the engine down for a quick nap. As soon as grey light we made our way to the shore. Started towards the south end and stopped here n there but not a lot of action. Finally found some kelp stringers in about 80’ of water and made a couple drifts with dropper loop, fly lined sardines and throwing the surface iron. Connected on the iron with two yellowtail but only landed one. Fun little trip, beautiful weather and seas. 128 miles traveled and used 65 gallons of fuel. Not bad but I normally get better gas mileage.
DE5057D3-8D03-4425-A6C8-AE9C616E0F89.jpeg

C38D6C43-F699-4432-8C5D-144D59BB1128.jpeg

FFE29999-AB8F-4D78-A70A-0F9EE637A59C.jpeg

1D6D8FC5-C8CB-43F9-8112-AB5928359289.jpeg

Blackfish
Blackfish
Nice. You did better the me. Fished sci 11-12th and cat 12-13th. No yt and no wsb.
585823AA-6A7C-485C-B4A8-5DB8DB5B9887.jpeg
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
"Boat's been acting up.. time for a test run"

Better go ALL THE WAY to SCI!!! Man I hope you have Seatow hahaha

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
Motor runs fine just can’t get Pat 2500rpm so we just cruised

• Wow
Reactions: javierlopez123
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice yellow, but dang! That's a long haul with a motor acting up. Glad you made it back!

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Seems ridiculous to run so far with a motor acting up from the beginning, then you shut down and drifted for a nap? Did you have someone on watch? I see so many things that could have gone wrong. You really need to rethink decisions moving forward and perhaps a boating safety class. Not trying to be harsh just realistic. No fish is worth someone's life let alone someone who joined you for the day. Being a Captain comes with responsibilities so take them seriously. JMO!

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    Seems ridiculous to run so far with a motor acting up from the beginning, then you shut down and drifted for a nap? Did you have someone on watch? I see so many things that could have gone wrong. You really need to rethink decisions moving forward and perhaps a boating safety class. Not trying to be harsh just realistic. No fish is worth someone's life let alone someone who joined you for the day. Being a Captain comes with responsibilities so take them seriously. JMO!
    Thanks for the input and you have good points to consider. My buddy was on watch while I napped since he slept on the way to the island. The motor runs fine on the lower rpms and that’s the only reason I decided to go. I do have Vessel Assist just in case.

Reactions: Jarhead Actual

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
    Hollywood, CA, USA
    Name
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Motor runs fine just can’t get Pat 2500rpm so we just cruised
    Engine runs fine, but won''t go past 2500 RPM? That engine definitely is not running "fine". I'm trying to understand your logic...Your engine can't go past 2500rpm and you go from Pedro to SCI? What were you thinking? What happens if you have to get out of someone's way or move on a dime? Not smart. In my opinion, that is some very bad decision making. Someone please defend this. And please don't respond with #my body my choice...He had a passenger.

Upvote 0

FordFalcus

Aug 22, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Derek Nicodemus
    Boat
    Glacier Cat
    Ha ha, these responses crack me up! Thanks for the great report, and for not letting all of these cops, lawyers, doctors, ASI certified mechanics, and governors get you down.
    First of all, no boat or engine is ever 100%, anything can go wrong at any time. 2500 rpm is a perfectly acceptable cruising speed, and a little high for a diesel engine, which no one even cared to consider before sending the poster to the Brig.
    Several years ago, I had a gremlin on my 26 Skippy ad41. It would run perfectly fine at idle, but at 1k rpm, it would stall out and die. I had all kinds of people try and figure it out, installed a new $1k injection pump, and still no luck. So did I give up and leave it tied to the dock? No way! I used it until I finally figured out what the problem was. Turns out, there was something rolling around in the fuel tank that would settle near the pickup and block fuel. By disconnecting the fuel line, you could blow hard to unblock the pickup, and it would run perfect until the little fragment of crud would find it's way back to the fuel pickup.
    And I never would have figured it out if I didn't continue to use it.
    Have we all forgotten that our great great great great grandparents made ridiculous trips sailing, wagoning, and walking thousands of miles to make it here, and fish for tuna with oars? No cell phones, no 911, no life jackets, no seat belts, no air bags, no channel 16, no vessel assist, no GPS, no radar, no satellite phone. Have we all become such fucking pussies?
    Kudos to you for making the trip. Now you know that after 100+ miles, the engine is fine, and probably has a simple problem with either fuel or spark. Maybe some moisture inside the distributor cap, a bad condensor, vacuum advance?
    Good luck with the diagnosis, and thanks for the great report!

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    Ha ha, these responses crack me up! Thanks for the great report, and for not letting all of these cops, lawyers, doctors, ASI certified mechanics, and governors get you down.
    First of all, no boat or engine is ever 100%, anything can go wrong at any time. 2500 rpm is a perfectly acceptable cruising speed, and a little high for a diesel engine, which no one even cared to consider before sending the poster to the Brig.
    Several years ago, I had a gremlin on my 26 Skippy ad41. It would run perfectly fine at idle, but at 1k rpm, it would stall out and die. I had all kinds of people try and figure it out, installed a new $1k injection pump, and still no luck. So did I give up and leave it tied to the dock? No way! I used it until I finally figured out what the problem was. Turns out, there was something rolling around in the fuel tank that would settle near the pickup and block fuel. By disconnecting the fuel line, you could blow hard to unblock the pickup, and it would run perfect until the little fragment of crud would find it's way back to the fuel pickup.
    Have we all forgotten that our great great great great grandparents made ridiculous trips sailing, wagoning, and walking thousands of miles to make it here, and fish for tuna with oars? No cell phones, no 911, no life jackets, no seat belts, no air bags, no channel 16, no vessel assist, no GPS, no radar, no satellite phone. Have we all become such fucking pussies?
    Kudos to you for making the trip. Now you know that after 100+ miles, the engine is fine, and probably has a simple problem with either fuel or spark. Maybe some moisture inside the distributor cap, a bad condensor, vacuum advance?
    This is actually a gas engine and I cruised at about 13knots all day. The only reason I decided to make the run was because the ocean conditions were in my favor to do so. I was able to test different things while under load also. Thanks everyone for the input and for everyone’s concern.

Upvote 0