Schoolie Rig

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by TravisAZ, Aug 21, 2018.

?

Best rig for Schoolie YFT/Skippies for combat fishing sport boats

1. Small star-drag

42 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Modern Baitcaster

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Baitrunning Spinner

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. TravisAZ

TravisAZ Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Favorite Mistake
    I want to hear what you guys think is the ultimate rig for fishing the schoolie grade YFT/Skippies we are seeing right now. After having trouble getting bit in a fairly open bite due to my inability to toss a small sardine out on my current lever drags (my fault don't get enough practice) I am rethinking my approach. Watched plenty of folks able to toss them out on small star drag reels and even big spinning reels on this trip. I have searched :)

Reels?
    I think ease of use and dependability outweigh capacity and drag for this application (feel free to eniighten me if you disagree. Classic small star drag is obviously what most of you guys run, but what about a modern baitcaster (lexa, komodo, tranx)? A spinner seems perfect for tossing the bait, but I wonder about being able to stay in contact with the bait. Anyone using a "baitruner" spinner? A big part of the decision for me is being bulletproof when the bite is hot so I am not picking through the mini-birdsnest I seem to get every other "cast". Sadly I don't have a tank of sardines in my back yard to practice with.

Rods?
    One of mine is too soft, which is great for detecting bites, but sucks for tossing the bait out. What length/action would you choose for this application, and why? I am thinking a shorter rod would make it easer to do the soft underhand lob with the bait to keep the scales on when they hit the water, and would be easier to maneuver through the inevitable clusterfu*k at the stern when 1/2 the boat loses the ability to step to the left and the other half is tossing their fresh bait directly across 3 peoples lines :rofl:

Line/Leader?

Weight or no? Pinned on or sliding to the hook?

Thanks Bruhs!

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    My personal favorite is a 270-8h, Penn Fathom 12, 40lb braid, 50' of 25lb mono, 2' of 25lb flouro and a small 1/0 mustad circle or #4 mutu circle hook.

If that is a problem, a bait-runner spinning reel and a 270ish - 7' spinning rod can be deadly as well.

TravisAZ likes this.
  3. dave_k

dave_k Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whaler
    No need to get fancy for this style of fishing. A Daiwa sealine 20 is proven. Toss it on a softer tipped 7-8’ rod and you’re good to go. The 270-8 is a great recommendation, I really like the seeker 858 for this, and there are several others.

Baitcasters are great for certain applications, but a traditional star drag conventional reel is better for maintaining contact with your bait IMO.

As for practice, a swimbait without the lead lead will get you close enough to the weight of a bait for practice.

MRC70, bdubs73 and TravisAZ like this.
  4. TravisAZ

TravisAZ Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Favorite Mistake
    Genius! Tricks like this make BD the best fishing website on the interwebs

5. Yella1

Yella1 So Fishy

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Pay to Play
    Yep, I use conventional reels whenever possible, however, when the bait is super small I always bring a large baitcaster setup (Komodo SS 463 on an Okuma PCH Custom 7'6" Heavy), and also my big spinner setup (Shimano Baitrunner 12000D on an Ugly Stik Tiger). Unless rod storage is tight on a packed cattle boat, it's nice to bring them to have options (even if you might not use them both).

Both setups are spooled with 65lb braid and a short fluoro leader in whatever size the fish will bite. I have landed fish to 60lbs on both setups with absolutely no problem.

6. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    800XL daiwa 20slh , 220 newell , fathom 12
    15lbs , size 2 hook

Ratshirt likes this.
  7. Jiggermeister

Jiggermeister Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    None
    Daiwa sl20sh filled 2/3 with 40lb spectra, and 20lb mono to the top. Or Trinidad 12/14A or Daiwa Saltiga 15/20HA
    Rods T220(calstar), seeker 270-8h, calstar 800xl, pch 801 mh, psw 808mh, any 8fter you like. Also Tranx 300, 400, Lexa, Komodo all work.

8. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Definitely go with a star drag, lots of good options out there from Tesoros, Toriums, Saltigas, and Trinidads depending no your budget. Like an earlier poster said, you don't need to spend a lot on this category if you don't want to.

As for rods, I like a whippier tip to soft toss the small bait, I use a Calstar 220.

Good luck!

9. vinniethefish

vinniethefish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:
    Vince Borrego
    Boat:
    2006 Skeeter
    I prefer throwing a baitcaster simply because I have so much time on the water with them from Largemouth bass fishing. Looks like the bait situation definitely changed over the past few weeks. I'd suggest watching these videos to get a decent background. For practice I'd suggest tying a 3/8oz to 1/2oz bell sinker to your line to see how far you can case with the setup at the park or driveway. Gives you a bit of practice throwing anchovies or small sardines. For lever drags I typically don't start using those until I'm throwing a least 30lb and often times only rig it with 40, but that's just my personal preference.

Note I was just as BPS this past weekend in Mesa, AZ and I was surprised to see they had (2) Phenix Axis HAX720MH in stock. I might end up selling some of my gear to fund a few new rod purchases to change things up a bit. Example I've got a Lexa 300, Lexa 400 and Fathom 15 star drag that all pretty much do the same thing but I really only need one of them. Same with the Phenix Abyss 807 and Tallus Blue Water 70MHBBL which fit nicely with all 3 of those rods for fishing 20-30lb flouro leaders with braid, but if I go the Axis route I could easily part with one or both.

If you're interested in seeing them let me know. I'll figure out when I'm in the office and we can meet up to see how I have them rigged.

LordIsGod likes this.
  10. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    I have a californian (old school) with a sealine 20 on it I'd sell for 100

bdubs73 likes this.
  11. wii888lo

wii888lo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ricky
    Boat:
    ricky
    9.99 at walmart will get it done
    this is bd no pic they call bs so here it is
    pic isn't me

39891364_10156606427107733_2667136641700724736_n.jpg 39894682_10156606427222733_5527500610758246400_n.jpg 39878879_10156606427172733_3247133423399075840_n.jpg

12. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    I leave tomorrow on a 2 day. My lite outfits are 2 sl20's, one with 20 mono and one with 40lb spectra for my Calstar 800L and 800XL. I'm also bringing a 2 speed Avet MXJ with 50lb spectra and a Calstar 800M in case they will hit 30lb.

Buttchaser likes this.
  13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    learn how to underhand "lob cast" with a star drag. Lever drag? not so much.

TravisAZ likes this.
  14. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    I use a Sealine x20 on an 8' Graftech inshore rod with 40lb braid to 20 or 15lb mono for the smaller fish.

15. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    My go to is a lexa 400 on a 8 foot shadow stalker rod.

The lexa is filled to the brim with 40 pound braid and use short fluoro top shots.

That rig can cast a mile and about the easiest thing to fish.

16. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Anything with a levelwind will not cast light baits as far a something without.

Lexa, Tranx, Komodo all easy to use and cast but not as good for small baits.

Fishing live bait on a spinner in terrible, tried it last week and hated it, near impossible to keep in good contact with your bait.

17. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    MX /50spec/15 or 20 lb top shot my smallest rod is a GFGR 700m so that's what I use. I'm bringing my bass rod next time...

18. Spanky79

Spanky79 Happiest on the water

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    why the circle hook for yellow fin?

19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    J’s work, but I prefer a circle hook for most bait fishing for tuna

DannyNoonan likes this.
  20. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Shadow Stalker 801 H or XH with a Komodo 471. The komodo casts like butter, even with small bait, and if you are trying to get fish in the boat fast then this is what you want.

kbray001 likes this.