wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Oh, we will have at least a queen bad. They’ll always be room for Carrie ;).

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
I don't know if the quality has improved much since then. I do know that an acquaintance I recently ran into as he was parking his 2 month old, $75,000 5th wheel, the brand escapes me, showed me where a fire started behind the fridge as he and his family were sleeping on their second outing in their new toy. Smoke alarms never went off, guy walking by saw the flames. Their first outing they found out the waste tank was not connected. Lemon law attorney contacted. Do you homework and be patient.
@Marlin Mike could answer that question about the quality of the new trailers... or at least one of them.

Reactions: Swede

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Fuck me. First talk of you putting a boat on float 12 and now the potential of you looking to move into tuna town. 🖕

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Fuck me. First talk of you putting a boat on float 12 and now the potential of you looking to move into tuna town. 🖕
Slumming it for sure. Hahahaha. Wait until, you see these new green neck gaiters I have...

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
I keep an RV in Newport six months out of the year and have learned a few things over the years.

All of them have build issues and as you have already learned, you can find people that love and hate almost any brand. Mines an almost problem free Jayco but I think that’s more lucky than an endorsement for Jayco.

Anything “half ton” towable will ensure that anyone walking around the trailer can be felt throughout the entire trailer.

Make sure the shower is big enough for you to actually use. It is really nice just showering in your own RV at the end of a long day if fishing.

Sofa fold out bed combos are uncomfortable as both a sofa and a bed. Replace it with something comfortable to sit in that is also easy to watch TV from.

A cargo trailer makes an excellent “garage”. I have a 6x10 that has a couple deep freezes, small ice machine, sealer and tackle storage that I set up with my RV.

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Wow. I thought that looked familiar. Wonder when they’ll get to rebuilding the Maple Valley market into whatever they have planned for it...

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
If you plan to keep for a while you need to pony up for something high end. This is almost non existent in the rv world however.

a lot of these things are built using a frame using a space aged material similar to something between card board and particle board. I don’t know where they even source the stuff. It must be proprietary. You need you but something with either a real wood or aluminum super structure. With most,once you see a leak, the rv is doomed. If you see water inside that means the structure is done for and needs to be rebuilt.

there are so many failure points for leaks on an rv there is no way to really prevent it with confidence. We’ve had 2. An 18’ pioneer travel trailer and a 28’ sprinter 5th wheel.

I had to rebuild the front quarter of the rod on the pioneer due to water and the 5th wheel literally fell apart. I spotted a single drop of water in the sob one time. Immediately patched the leak with 5200 but the flimsily construction just disintegrated.

after these experiences I would only buy something that could withstand water ingress without catastrophic damage.

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I keep coming back to finding a 24-30’ car hauler, preferably all aluminum. Stripping it, and building it myself. I bet we won’t be in it more than 2 nights at a time. And, not “living” in it. Get to town, prep boat. Eat, shower, sleep. Wake up, quick breakfast, onto boat. Kill shitloads of fish, clean fish, clean boat, hot trailer, clean bodies, drive home to Oly.

butcherboy

Retired Bum
Jul 4, 2007
escondido ca.
Name
tom cunningham
Boat
Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
I also had a Artic Fox trailer product. Three years with no issues, sold it for what I paid for it and the guy drove 500 miles to be first in line to buy it. Pretty good.

Reactions: onehottip

Swede

Yachtless
May 2, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Name
Swede
Boat
Kristen Lee
I keep coming back to finding a 24-30’ car hauler, preferably all aluminum. Stripping it, and building it myself. I bet we won’t be in it more than 2 nights at a time. And, not “living” in it. Get to town, prep boat. Eat, shower, sleep. Wake up, quick breakfast, onto boat. Kill shitloads of fish, clean fish, clean boat, hot trailer, clean bodies, drive home to Oly.
Didn’t you get the memo. Winter Blackmouth is closed.

kenzmad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Good luck man, been looking for a new truck camper. There aint shit for sale. May have to buy new just to get something.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Here Yah go. For a couple nights at most what more could you ask for? And they're sooooooo cute. The shower is inside.

And this one also has a shower.

Prolly not what you're looking for. Kind of cool though but the size might get old fast and could start you on the road of swapping to new, bigger and more comfortable. We went from having three different Coleman tent trailers, all bought new. Liked those as they were easy to get into the hills to a lake or two that I liked to fly fish on. Then went to a slide in truck camper so I could tow my boat. Then to a 5th wheel. Finally ended with real estate. At least that was our progression.

Reactions: butcherboy

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Get an opus 15 and use it for hunting..they are badass...

Or just set up a wall tent....I set mine up in May and take down in Sept for our fish camp...

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Anyone have thoughts on the Keystone Cougar Half Ton series? Looking at a 25 or 29 bunkhouse.
Keystone and Forest River are the large production assembly lines. That’s good and bad... they have more to practice on, they have assembly procedures that can identify issues, and they do it over and over.... The bad..... wrong guys on the assembly line, bad training in a department etc.... They make them under different names for other manufacturers too....

Forest River has a factory down here in Dallas OR, outside of Salem and it is nick named “Felony River” because of the type of employees. They also build enclosed trailers under a couple different names... Continental Cargo and a couple others....

Last edited:

Polarbill1999

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Name
Brett Yates
Boat
1996 Arima Sea Chaser
Anyone have thoughts on the Keystone Cougar Half Ton series? Looking at a 25 or 29 bunkhouse.
We have the keysyone passport 2950bh which is the passport/ultralight version of the cougar 29bhs. The cougar is keystones highest grade of bumper pull travel trailer. When we were looking it felt higher end then our passport. Is is heavier which i believe means it has better core materials, insulations, etc... The extra weight and price is why we didnt go with the cougar and chose the passport.

We started out thinking we were goijg to get a 24 bunkhouse but once we got in them the room in a 29 was so much better. The 24s have little storage, only the dinette. Most 24s have the same layout with tv on wall between front bedroom and living area which is a terrible place for a tv. We narrowed down down to the 26bh passport and 2950bh passport. We went with the 2950 for the following reasons. 2nd entry door straight into the bathroom which is nice so you dont have to track dirt all over the trailer when going to the bathroom. The 2950 has a huge back trunk door and the bottom bunk folds up. It makes it rasy to load anf gives a ton of spacr to put big stuff. The bottom bunk was much lower in the 2950 which made it seem like an adult could actually sleep in it without feeling it is too small. It had a couch and dinette with the tv facing the couch. It also has a ton of storage.

The cougar 295 is not half ton towable in my opinion. The cougar 295 is almost 1k more then my passport dry. With my high payload 2019 f150 (not heavy duty payload package), i am at maxy payload for the truck althoigh i do have a canopy. That vougar 295 will probably be 8500# loaded. With 12% tongue weight you are at 1000# before throwing anything or any people in your truck. Payload will be the limot you will hrt before anything else. Max tongue weight may also be right at the limit of your actual hitch with a half ton. If you have a 3/4 ton or bigger nevermind all this:)

Keystone also has a factory in california or oregon. The trailers sold in the west come from the west coast mostly. If you look at theodel number it should have a "we" at the end.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
24' Hewescraft Pacific Explorer
Here Yah go. For a couple nights at most what more could you ask for? And they're sooooooo cute. The shower is inside.

And this one also has a shower.

Prolly not what you're looking for. Kind of cool though but the size might get old fast and could start you on the road of swapping to new, bigger and more comfortable. We went from having three different Coleman tent trailers, all bought new. Liked those as they were easy to get into the hills to a lake or two that I liked to fly fish on. Then went to a slide in truck camper so I could tow my boat. Then to a 5th wheel. Finally ended with real estate. At least that was our progression.
We bought an Aliner Expedition two years ago. Its great for what it is. For two people, three seasons, its really great, especially for those who have a small tow vehicle. It also fits in the garage.

For my family with a 6 year old and a dog, its just a tad cramped. And if its raining and everyone is inside, you get to stare them down while you poop. Creates a new level of family bonding. :p

We were camping this past weekend and met an older couple who asked about it. I mentioned that we're probably selling it, and they said they would take it. Easiest sale I've ever had. So yeah, the market is pretty hot for campers right now.

Last edited:

carrie's bait boy

No ones prostaff
Apr 17, 2015
Kent WA and Westport WA
Name
norm
Boat
Too many
I heard he hasn’t officially asked the gatekeepers at float 12 for permission yet. There are some standards to be met that must pass muster with @dragonballs @goatram and some other keepers of the gate.......

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
24' Hewescraft Pacific Explorer
We have the keysyone passport 2950bh which is the passport/ultralight version of the cougar 29bhs. The cougar is keystones highest grade of bumper pull travel trailer. When we were looking it felt higher end then our passport. Is is heavier which i believe means it has better core materials, insulations, etc... The extra weight and price is why we didnt go with the cougar and chose the passport.

We started out thinking we were goijg to get a 24 bunkhouse but once we got in them the room in a 29 was so much better. The 24s have little storage, only the dinette. Most 24s have the same layout with tv on wall between front bedroom and living area which is a terrible place for a tv. We narrowed down down to the 26bh passport and 2950bh passport. We went with the 2950 for the following reasons. 2nd entry door straight into the bathroom which is nice so you dont have to track dirt all over the trailer when going to the bathroom. The 2950 has a huge back trunk door and the bottom bunk folds up. It makes it rasy to load anf gives a ton of spacr to put big stuff. The bottom bunk was much lower in the 2950 which made it seem like an adult could actually sleep in it without feeling it is too small. It had a couch and dinette with the tv facing the couch. It also has a ton of storage.

The cougar 295 is not half ton towable in my opinion. The cougar 295 is almost 1k more then my passport dry. With my high payload 2019 f150 (not heavy duty payload package), i am at maxy payload for the truck althoigh i do have a canopy. That vougar 295 will probably be 8500# loaded. With 12% tongue weight you are at 1000# before throwing anything or any people in your truck. Payload will be the limot you will hrt before anything else. Max tongue weight may also be right at the limit of your actual hitch with a half ton. If you have a 3/4 ton or bigger nevermind all this:)

Keystone also has a factory in california or oregon. The trailers sold in the west come from the west coast mostly. If you look at the model number it should have a "we" at the end.
Those are our observations as well. The 29 has the rear cargo door and more living space. Since our daughter is an only child, I can see us bringing one of her friends on future trips, hence bunks would be handy. We have a 3/4 ton truck so towing weight is not an issue. Payload on it is 2900 lbs.

Now I'm wishing I had a barn to store the boat and rv. Maybe I should just start looking for land! lol.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
I heard he hasn’t officially asked the gatekeepers at float 12 for permission yet. There are some standards to be met that must pass muster with @dragonballs @goatram and some other keepers of the gate.......
I knew there was a reason I grabbed a spot on 19 as I'm sure I wouldn't pass the mustard of those snobs. Plus the parking is easy. Maybe it was the parking.