SCHOOL IS IN SESSION w/ FAR CORNERS SPORTFISHING and CORNFED!!!

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Cornfed, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    As a lot of you know, my beast is being conceived as I type this and I am officially a free agent for the time being, which really is a beautiful thing! I get to fish with all my good friends that I don't typically get to fish with. Darrell gave me the call Tuesday night, saying he was looking for a deckhand and wanted me to be part of the CHAOS for the wknd. After confirming that Shortround had to work the wknd, I gave Darrell a ring bright and early Wednesday morning and let him know that I was down for A FIX.

Darrell and I have known each other since around 2008ish and have been fishing together since 2010. I had Darrell on my first OTC tournament team in 2010, taking 3rd in the Garibaldi (fresh off a 2nd place finish at the WTC with the USUAL SUSPECTS). Darrell has been fishing tuna since he was a kid, starting out with the rest of the family in San Diego and has been ever since. With this in mind, there is a certain intensity, bravado, and primordial nature you get when you put the right people on the same boat. Darrell contributes greatly to this phenomenon or STATE OF BEING and is one of the reasons why I love fishing with him on TUNACIOUS. The feeling is somewhat esoteric but it can be broken down to this.....WE ARE NO LONGER FISHING, WE ARE HUNTING THE OCEAN!

[​IMG]

I clocked in at 5AM on Float 6. Happy Daze greeted me at the top of the dock, ready for what the day had in store. We chatted for a few about the weather and how the day would unfold, then I walked down to TUNACIOUS and offloaded my gear. Darrell showed up and out of his truck comes troll rods of all things. I look at him and say "REALLY?!?!" and he responds "just in case". One of the things that I admire about TUNACIOUS is the three independent rod racks in addition to the gunwhale rod holders. I grab the troll rods and stash them as far away from the forthcoming action as possible. :D

Darrell heads out to get ice and I start pulling rods out and getting them set up. Pink spectra, blue spectra, yellow spectra, orange spectra, white spectra......I FELT LIKE I WAS IN A DOCTOR SEUSS BOOK but it all makes sense when fishing with charter clients. 5 way tangles are easier to undo when you're not staring at the same color spectra!

We load the ice, and greet the fishermen for the day, including Chuck Arnold, the COO for the Seahawks.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/roster/chuck-arnold-0

The crew consisted of Chuck Sr., Chuck Jr., and their good friends. We pushed off and got in the bait receiver line with 25 of our best friends, including DURAMAX and the DEFIANCE NATION!

[​IMG]

After getting some jumbo Choves, we rolled out of the harbor, deployed the spray shields and pointed the bow west!

We headed to 46.51 x 125.05....a spot that NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC should have been filming! Upon arrival, Humpbacks were loading up on bait with mouths wide open while the high speed sickle dorsal finned whales were blitzing the outside. Shearwaters were everywhere and our friend CHARLIE was pushing up bait in a way that resembled TARPON committing murder in the shallows of south Florida. KEY THE MUSIC AND THROW BAIT....SCHOOL IS IN SESSION!

[​IMG]

After 10 minutes, the Rampage rolled to within 20 yards of us and started throwing bait. Luckily the school didn't care and stayed with us. Hope they enjoyed the view of us jack poling fish after fish in the high 20s/low 30s. :D

GO TO SLEEP!

[​IMG]

I worked 110 MPH.....BAIT, GAFF, BLEED, SPIKE, DEHOOK, REPEAT! WHACK FISH, STACK FISH, WHACK FISH, STACK FISH. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. We had a handful of very unique tangles but dispatched them quickly and got back to the task at hand.....WHACK...STACK...YOU KNOW! Darrell did the same, just on the other side of the boat. The stop lasted 2.5 hours and we were plugged and then some.

[​IMG]

Darrell put the lid on the bait tank, signaling "NO MORE, WE'RE PLUGGED". I couldn't help myself. My addiction is too strong. I just had.......just had to.....JUST HAD TO GET ONE MORE. I look at the Starboard Gunwhale and there it sat, an untouched jig rod with the wrap still on the jig. I looked to make sure Darrell was preoccupied and not looking. I ran over and quickly grabbed the rod, casting downwind off the stbd, letting the jig sink out 100' or so. I began massaging the jig through the water and 20' into my retrieve I get HAMMMERED!!! BOOOOYAH! I hand the rod off and let Eric DO WORK to bring us to fruition and put the last fish in the boat!

I tail the fish and prop it up for the photo opp. NOTE THE LOCATION OF THE JIG! He must have had a low IRON COUNT BECAUSE HE SWALLOWED THAT BEOTCH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yea, GOTTA LOVE THE BLOOD BATH!

[​IMG]

We cleaned up, battened down the hatches, and fired up the horses. Made it back before the fleet and had plenty of time to clean up before happy hour. BAIT DOWN, TAILS UP! SCHOOL'S IN SESSION!

TIGHT LINES!

TOMMY DONLIN

2. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Looks like you found the right ride Tommy. Good times for sure.

3. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    About dang time you got back out there and put your skills to use. Do it again :)

4. GregE

GregE Seeking Kodak Moments

Name:
    Greg Eastman
    Boat:
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    That looks like a fun crew but that guy in white keeps hogging all the face pics..... ;)

5. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Awesome Tommy.......Heading out right now to repeat
    Tight lines and follow your fish

6. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    You pictures reminded me of something. The other day I stopped by so say hi to Mikey on Fury, Tailwalker Patrick was there also and then Darrell stopped by. It was fun listening to the shit giving but also Darrell showed how his rods guide placement works....interesting and seems like a good idea. I know he uses Rainshadow blanks but do you know who does the build? He also told me/us the style of hook he uses which I'd like to try just for shits & grins...I forgot. Do you have any idea of the brand name of the hooks? Looks like he is set up very well.

7. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Pretty cool looking boat. Saw you guys heading out saturday mornign and then again out at Nat Geo land.

Nice report.

8. zzz

zzz Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    23' Grady White "ZingFisher"
    As always, great report. Thanks for sharing.

9. RoundtheOutside

RoundtheOutside Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    2509 Trophy, 20' Riverhawk
    Nice report Tommy D!

10. hunterb

hunterb Fish Killer

Name:
    Hunter Burrows
    Boat:
    22' Grady The Fishy Hooker
    Great report. You guys nailed them.

11. Talon5050

Talon5050 Newbie

Name:
    Dano
    Boat:
    Team Mojo
    Great report and pics Tommy! Thanks!

12. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Nice report Tommy. One of these days I need to go with the MASTER..LOL

13. Sea Sport

Sea Sport Made in Washington

Name:
    Chuck Masonic
    Boat:
    Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
    What a pair!!! Darrel and Tommy!! Awesome pictures and a grand time for Sea Hawks exec and buddies. You can bet there will be more coming after he gets done with his tails from the Tunacious!

14. mtotemeier

mtotemeier Captain Caaveman!

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    World CAT 266 SC "The Big Butt"
    great report Tommy!!

15. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Another day of fun..............really bow heavy today coming in
    I know pics coming.....going to shower then bed

Cornfed likes this.
  16. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    Can anyone say "FAT SLOB!!!!!" Check out this 41 lb. 3 oz. HOG that Darrell put on the boat yesterday!

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

RobJob likes this.
  17. T2shortB

T2shortB Nice fanny pack Fag!!!

Name:
    Todd Brown
    Boat:
    Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
    OUT Standing!

All I have to say is Tick Tock, tick Tock...... Standby

Cornfed likes this.
  18. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Thanks Tommy for posting a few pics
    Epic day for sure w/Far Corners aka Darrell
    Great grade of fish all day

19. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    Kim.

The brand of the hooks are Hayabusa and Sanhu, #2 Circle Hooks.

20. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Darrel,
    Who is the milk man with the John Deere hat on the front of the boat in pic 1. :)
    You must have been pimping out the Tunatious because it looks like a photo op for Farmers Only.com?

Party on Garth!

Ducker!

Cornfed likes this.