SCHOOL IS IN SESSION w/ FAR CORNERS SPORTFISHING and CORNFED!!!

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
As a lot of you know, my beast is being conceived as I type this and I am officially a free agent for the time being, which really is a beautiful thing! I get to fish with all my good friends that I don't typically get to fish with. Darrell gave me the call Tuesday night, saying he was looking for a deckhand and wanted me to be part of the CHAOS for the wknd. After confirming that Shortround had to work the wknd, I gave Darrell a ring bright and early Wednesday morning and let him know that I was down for A FIX.

Darrell and I have known each other since around 2008ish and have been fishing together since 2010. I had Darrell on my first OTC tournament team in 2010, taking 3rd in the Garibaldi (fresh off a 2nd place finish at the WTC with the USUAL SUSPECTS). Darrell has been fishing tuna since he was a kid, starting out with the rest of the family in San Diego and has been ever since. With this in mind, there is a certain intensity, bravado, and primordial nature you get when you put the right people on the same boat. Darrell contributes greatly to this phenomenon or STATE OF BEING and is one of the reasons why I love fishing with him on TUNACIOUS. The feeling is somewhat esoteric but it can be broken down to this.....WE ARE NO LONGER FISHING, WE ARE HUNTING THE OCEAN!

I clocked in at 5AM on Float 6. Happy Daze greeted me at the top of the dock, ready for what the day had in store. We chatted for a few about the weather and how the day would unfold, then I walked down to TUNACIOUS and offloaded my gear. Darrell showed up and out of his truck comes troll rods of all things. I look at him and say "REALLY?!?!" and he responds "just in case". One of the things that I admire about TUNACIOUS is the three independent rod racks in addition to the gunwhale rod holders. I grab the troll rods and stash them as far away from the forthcoming action as possible. :D

Darrell heads out to get ice and I start pulling rods out and getting them set up. Pink spectra, blue spectra, yellow spectra, orange spectra, white spectra......I FELT LIKE I WAS IN A DOCTOR SEUSS BOOK but it all makes sense when fishing with charter clients. 5 way tangles are easier to undo when you're not staring at the same color spectra!

We load the ice, and greet the fishermen for the day, including Chuck Arnold, the COO for the Seahawks.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/roster/chuck-arnold-0

The crew consisted of Chuck Sr., Chuck Jr., and their good friends. We pushed off and got in the bait receiver line with 25 of our best friends, including DURAMAX and the DEFIANCE NATION!

After getting some jumbo Choves, we rolled out of the harbor, deployed the spray shields and pointed the bow west!

We headed to 46.51 x 125.05....a spot that NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC should have been filming! Upon arrival, Humpbacks were loading up on bait with mouths wide open while the high speed sickle dorsal finned whales were blitzing the outside. Shearwaters were everywhere and our friend CHARLIE was pushing up bait in a way that resembled TARPON committing murder in the shallows of south Florida. KEY THE MUSIC AND THROW BAIT....SCHOOL IS IN SESSION!

After 10 minutes, the Rampage rolled to within 20 yards of us and started throwing bait. Luckily the school didn't care and stayed with us. Hope they enjoyed the view of us jack poling fish after fish in the high 20s/low 30s. :D

GO TO SLEEP!

I worked 110 MPH.....BAIT, GAFF, BLEED, SPIKE, DEHOOK, REPEAT! WHACK FISH, STACK FISH, WHACK FISH, STACK FISH. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. We had a handful of very unique tangles but dispatched them quickly and got back to the task at hand.....WHACK...STACK...YOU KNOW! Darrell did the same, just on the other side of the boat. The stop lasted 2.5 hours and we were plugged and then some.

Darrell put the lid on the bait tank, signaling "NO MORE, WE'RE PLUGGED". I couldn't help myself. My addiction is too strong. I just had.......just had to.....JUST HAD TO GET ONE MORE. I look at the Starboard Gunwhale and there it sat, an untouched jig rod with the wrap still on the jig. I looked to make sure Darrell was preoccupied and not looking. I ran over and quickly grabbed the rod, casting downwind off the stbd, letting the jig sink out 100' or so. I began massaging the jig through the water and 20' into my retrieve I get HAMMMERED!!! BOOOOYAH! I hand the rod off and let Eric DO WORK to bring us to fruition and put the last fish in the boat!

I tail the fish and prop it up for the photo opp. NOTE THE LOCATION OF THE JIG! He must have had a low IRON COUNT BECAUSE HE SWALLOWED THAT BEOTCH!

Yea, GOTTA LOVE THE BLOOD BATH!

We cleaned up, battened down the hatches, and fired up the horses. Made it back before the fleet and had plenty of time to clean up before happy hour. BAIT DOWN, TAILS UP! SCHOOL'S IN SESSION!

TIGHT LINES!

TOMMY DONLIN

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Looks like you found the right ride Tommy. Good times for sure.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
About dang time you got back out there and put your skills to use. Do it again :)

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Awesome Tommy.......Heading out right now to repeat
Tight lines and follow your fish

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
You pictures reminded me of something. The other day I stopped by so say hi to Mikey on Fury, Tailwalker Patrick was there also and then Darrell stopped by. It was fun listening to the shit giving but also Darrell showed how his rods guide placement works....interesting and seems like a good idea. I know he uses Rainshadow blanks but do you know who does the build? He also told me/us the style of hook he uses which I'd like to try just for shits & grins...I forgot. Do you have any idea of the brand name of the hooks? Looks like he is set up very well.

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Pretty cool looking boat. Saw you guys heading out saturday mornign and then again out at Nat Geo land.

Nice report.

zzz

May 20, 2008
Issaquah, WA
Name
Kurt
Boat
23' Grady White "ZingFisher"
As always, great report. Thanks for sharing.

Grady226

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
Nice report Tommy. One of these days I need to go with the MASTER..LOL

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn, WA
Name
Chuck Masonic
Boat
Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
What a pair!!! Darrel and Tommy!! Awesome pictures and a grand time for Sea Hawks exec and buddies. You can bet there will be more coming after he gets done with his tails from the Tunacious!

mtotemeier

Captain Caaveman!
Mar 2, 2011
Poulsbo wa usa
Name
Marcus
Boat
World CAT 266 SC "The Big Butt"
great report Tommy!!

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Another day of fun..............really bow heavy today coming in
I know pics coming.....going to shower then bed

Reactions: Cornfed

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
Can anyone say "FAT SLOB!!!!!" Check out this 41 lb. 3 oz. HOG that Darrell put on the boat yesterday!

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Reactions: RobJob

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
Jul 6, 2009
Belfair, WA
Name
Todd Brown
Boat
Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
OUT Standing!

All I have to say is Tick Tock, tick Tock...... Standby

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Thanks Tommy for posting a few pics
Epic day for sure w/Far Corners aka Darrell
Great grade of fish all day

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
You pictures reminded me of something. The other day I stopped by so say hi to Mikey on Fury, Tailwalker Patrick was there also and then Darrell stopped by. It was fun listening to the shit giving but also Darrell showed how his rods guide placement works....interesting and seems like a good idea. I know he uses Rainshadow blanks but do you know who does the build? He also told me/us the style of hook he uses which I'd like to try just for shits & grins...I forgot. Do you have any idea of the brand name of the hooks? Looks like he is set up very well.
Kim.

The brand of the hooks are Hayabusa and Sanhu, #2 Circle Hooks.

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
Darrel,
Who is the milk man with the John Deere hat on the front of the boat in pic 1. :)
You must have been pimping out the Tunatious because it looks like a photo op for Farmers Only.com?

Party on Garth!

Ducker!