stonefly

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
on my mother ship trip last spring my pangero was pretty adamant that scampi jigs won't catch grouper. to hear him tell it "as the jig lifts up the grouper swim over to look and as it drops they scatter". even without all of ric's reports showing scampi's pinned to grouper face i knew a lot of grouper have been taken on jigs. could someone educate me on technique?

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
I've caught lots of grouper on Scampi/Fishtraps......

sixty

Jul 12, 2005
Vegas & Ensenada
Name
Corey
Boat
Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
There is a book written by one of the famous grouper fishermen of Cholla bay, Wally Schmerfeld called "The Secrets of Super Grouper". This book details alot of techniques for catching big grouper on the northern Sea of Cortez. He has alot of techniquis for using giant scampi's, 10"+. The only place I could find a copy was at Phoenix Fishing Supply. I called them & they shipped a copy for me. Besides being informative its a good read.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
There is a book written by one of the famous grouper fishermen of Cholla bay, Wally Schmerfeld called "The Secrets of Super Grouper". This book details alot of techniques for catching big grouper on the northern Sea of Cortez. He has alot of techniquis for using giant scampi's, 10"+. The only place I could find a copy was at Phoenix Fishing Supply. I called them & they shipped a copy for me. Besides being informative its a good read.
thanks, got a copy on the way. $10, maps & everything. i guess he and his son are working on a book mapping in detail the whole north end,theres a lifetimes work.

dmcauley

Apr 13, 2006
mesa,az
Name
Dan
Boat
2601 striper CC
Great book, but Wally died last year so no new books. Tip your scampi with a rock bass or other live bait and hold on . My new boat, the "Josefina" has landed 5 grouper up to 50 lbs and hooked up to several more in the last two months using this method.
Wally's method is fantastic but I like giving the scampi an occasional jig action and after a while do the fast retrieve. Ric swears by root beer scampi but pink works good also. Read Ric's reports and pay attention- He is the new super grouper

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
great, i'm looking forward to the book getting here. you say "give it a jig action" like that is opposed to "wally's method. is that the case? is his method to drag on the bottom? is there something to what my pangero was saying with regard to working scampi to much up & down?
we drift pretty fast along a very rocky bottom, it's tough to keep it on the bottom. iv'e got an old penn #49 with backreel feature like a squidder. i'm thinking that might be good for allowing me to drop down into holes & bottom structure with out going into freespool like my tld #25 2 speed but not so sure i want to have it in knuckle buster mode when MR.G comes round.: farmer :

rojodiablo

Dive club flunkie
Jul 22, 2005
Santa Ana Ca.
Name
Paul Romanowski
Boat
Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
Randy, I freedive a lot for grouper in the gulf. And I can tell you, without giving up any real secrets, that grouper do not scatter when you drop a jig down into them. Quite to the contrary, your jigs, scampis, fishtraps get shadowed by grouper on almost every drop when you are in their territory right on top of them. I have seen it from 60 ft down, and watched them do their thing. It's pretty awesome to see.

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Were you on a Tony Reyes trip??? The guys I fished with on my last trip made me a believer in throwing iron for the Cabrilla... that said, I have always had good luck tipping scampis and the like with squid or cut bait...

RIC

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2006
PHOENIX ARIZONA
www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM
Name
RIC FELDER
Boat
23' TROPHY "END OF THE LINE"
on my mother ship trip last spring my pangero was pretty adamant that scampi jigs won't catch grouper. to hear him tell it "as the jig lifts up the grouper swim over to look and as it drops they scatter". even without all of ric's reports showing scampi's pinned to grouper face i knew a lot of grouper have been taken on jigs. could someone educate me on technique?
drop the scampi to the bottom and immediately crank it up at a fast pace straight up 15 to 30 feet and then drop down again. repeat this throughout the entire drift. i have never had a scampi jig work better by imparting a jigging action to it. i have found that live bait is more productive than scampi jigs but catching a grouper on a scampi jig is far more exciting.

ric

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
rojo, great observation. sounds like they dog a bait similar to the way a largemouth sometimes does , just a matter of triggering the strike.(it's allright to give up secrets, none of us will tell) :D

gil, sounds like you fished with rueben.

ric ,that sounds like the trigger. i fished san felipe & out to consag alot growing up in el centro. i allways heard puerto penasco area was all mud flats. my dad is in tucson and does a family trip to rocky point a couple of times a year. maybe i'll pass on the mothership trip one of these years & take up on his invite. i seem to move from species to species until i understand them to the point i can have my way with them , then move on. the last few years i,ve been high centered on these things that slam a grown man to the rail and take his stuff. my working analogy while fishing is that grouper live in caves, race out to grab prey, then race back to the cave and you first feel them about halfway back to the cave. the cabrilla do the same thing only faster because a grouper might eat them.
this last spring the pangeros did some rodeo style fishing where the pangas leapfrogged past each other & dropped, then picked up and made another jump trying to locate fish. by way of understanding the nature of these fish were the guidos looking for a moving school of feeding fish or do they more protect a territory? or a mix of both? like on a tide change.
thanks, randy

dmcauley

Apr 13, 2006
mesa,az
Name
Dan
Boat
2601 striper CC
Ric's method is what Grouper Wally recommends and is the best method(like I said Ric catches more grouper than any one I know) The jigging action was taught to me by another great RP fisherman and does work good(Art Pina) and is less tiring on the arms and backs for us old folks. Ric's website is great

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
got the booklet yesterday. if you private boat in rocky point/ puerto penasco .....you need this book. maps, waypoints (loran and gps), compass headings and triangulation pictograms to line up mountains to locate the spots (as the locals do). one good technique for halibut jigging and two for grouper. the scampi technique; drop to bottom, burn in 15 cranks, repeat. for diamond jigs;(or presumably butterfly jigs) drop to bottom, take up two cranks sweep the rod up 4 ft., allow to settle 4 or 5 times, repeat. it covers sweetening the scampi by adding a baitfish and how to rig.
lots of good advise on safety and a recommendation to take a local guide out with for the first few times if not familiar with the area. two thumbs up.

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Great information, jigging technique is very simialr to what we use on lings in the PNW.

What technique to you guys find best for pargo?