Saw LoPresti Yesterday

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, May 8, 2011.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yesterday at a Sacramento shop - Pacific Extreme they had a seminar put on by Frank LoPresti. Darryl (sp?) was there also and demonstrated the RP knot. I'm going to learn/practice that knot. Got to chat with Frank a couple times and I gotta say that I think he's a class act. I really admire what he's accomplished, the know-how he's accumulated, and his very approachable personality. Sharp guy, and on my very short list of "fishing heros". Learned a little about casting, flylining with a weight, and other tidbits. Man...I'm still such a rookie at this. Looks like I better book another trip...:hali_olutta:

2. hot tuna

hot tuna Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    clawfoot tub
    What a great day. Was there along with you and Frank gave a great seminar. Along with Bruce Smith and Steve Carson adding in thier experiences. We are fortunate to have this up here in Norcal at such a small venue.
    Thanks P.E.S.

3. pooahl

pooahl Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    usually long range
    Yeah, I was there too. Awesome seminar. So cool to have PES put this on, especially this far from SD. They do a nice job. Tons of good info from top experts. Dharyl taught me the RP knot. Sweet! After practicing it at home later I think it's the easiest spectra/flouro connection to do - faster than Sands/Pena. Can't wait to fish. June 4th hurry up!

4. sulla

sulla Torrance Ca

Name:
    Sulla
    Boat:
    Party Boat Near You
    I've fished on the RP several trips but, unfortunately Frank has never skippered any of them. I have met him though and agree he is most definitely a living legend in west coast fishing. That is way cool to have him up there in nocal meeting with the fishermen and doing seminars.

5. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Was Little Frank there? LOL

[​IMG]

6. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Nope, no little Frank, only big Frank. Had a great time also, won a $200 gift certificate for any Shogun trip. Frank donatated two of these and one for the RP, VERY generous.
    Great opportunity to chat one on one with him and Bruce Smith. For those who missed it, well :(

7. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Had a great time meeting everyone, and the guys at Pacific Extreme are indeed the best.

8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I watched Frank do that knot and it looked very simple. I need to find a reference to it (online, or otherwise) and start practicing it out by the pool this summer.

9. JigBastard

JigBastard Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    ROYAL POLARIS
    I was on the RP last year and John showed me that knot, used it then and it works great and easy to tie .... but of course I do not remember how to tie it. So, if you do find any referance to it online or other wise, please forward it to me........thank you
    :jig:JigBastard

10. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I was on the Royal Polaris last year and John taught everyone this knot. I thought it was exactly the same as the Bob Sands knot? Basically a Uni knot in the Mono to ....Wrap braid 15 times up and back ...pull it tight. Which is also just like a Tony Pena knot except that knot uses an overhand instead of Uni in the mono. Here is a link to the Pena Knot. http://rovingangler.com/sample_articles/basic_knots_to_know Couldn't find the Bob Sands knot on their web page anymore.

So I guess what is the difference in the Bob Sands and the Royal Polaris Knot?

11. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    The RP knot, as demonstrated, hat 5 turns up then 5 back. I could probably do it now but by the time I get to relax and sit and try it (and drink a couple beers) I'll forget it. 8D

12. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    that sounds like a bristol knot... do a search of the improved Bristol... it was written up in Sportfishing Mag as the best of 44 knots mono to spectra, and easiest to tie.... Basically you wrap up 5 or 6 and back 5 or 6, and then put the tag end through the loop in the spectra where you finger is.... yank it tight....

Have not seen the RP knot, so if you get a chance check out the Bristol and give us feedback, so we know.... here's a link..

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/tech...fishing-knot-challenge-1000084846-page-5.html

I use the standard Bristol for lighter line and it has not failed me yet...

13. REK

REK Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    rowboat
    6 or so surgeons to double up the spectra. 6 or so up and down albright. I'll stick to the Pena.

14. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    The Albright I use wraps the spectra/Bimini around doubled mono..... basically the opposite of a worm knot... worms wraps mono, Albright wraps spectra...

The improved Bristol is stronger and different... click the link above to see 44 knots tested including the albright and the surgeons...

15. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Why does every thread on this board end up in a discussion of knots???

16. pooahl

pooahl Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    usually long range
  17. Wahoosnofish

Wahoosnofish now thats a galley fish

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    no
    People are always searching for the next best thing, or may be having problems with what the knot they are using. Constantly changing knots is probably not the answer. Tying your knot of choice well every time may be a better solution.

18. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    It's the improved Bristol without a Bimini twist. It's simple enough and faster than the Bob Sands but I don't know if it is stronger than the Bob Sands. I'm going to stick with the knots I know I can tie and have not failed me as yet.

19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    . I'm going to stick with the knots I know I can tie and have not failed me as yet.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!!!!!....3 turn uni keep it simple....it works for me....:evilimu:

20. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae