Savage Gear 3D Octopus Questions...

OldDrum_72

Jan 19, 2020
NC
Name
Josh
Boat
Stratos
Just picked up a couple of the Savage gear 3D octopus lures. Saw some videos on YouTube and they look extremely realistic. Has anyone had success with these? They weren't cheap but seem like they will slay Snapper/Grouper Sea bass etc. How do you fish it?

Can't wait to try them out when it warms up. funny thing is I have used frozen baby octopus from the store as bait before and it absolutely slayed the bottom fish.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
Epic wreck snapper lure. I fish it on a heavy jig setup with spool lock (OJ 5000 and jigstar ninja ML). Just drop it right above the structure, hold right below the reel in one hand, and hit the butt so the hand holding the rod acts as a fulcrum and makes the jig bounce. I like the spool lock to get the first couple cranks so that the fish does not take my 20 dollar lure right into the reef. The legs are AMAZING and I have been hit just straight reeling it up because of the leg action.

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Epic wreck snapper lure. I fish it on a heavy jig setup with spool lock (OJ 5000 and jigstar ninja ML). Just drop it right above the structure, hold right below the reel in one hand, and hit the butt so the hand holding the rod acts as a fulcrum and makes the jig bounce. I like the spool lock to get the first couple cranks so that the fish does not take my 20 dollar lure right into the reef. The legs are AMAZING and I have been hit just straight reeling it up because of the leg action.
    How long do they last before getting tore up?

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    I just purchased a couple in pink glow and brown glow 10.5 oz. Here in SOCAL we fish 300 feet for lingcod I have caught dozen of lings that threw up octopus as they it the deck 24 dollars each hope they last at least one trip each.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    How long do they last before getting tore up?
    I have had pretty good luck with them. As long as a toothy fish doesn't choke it down and you set the hook when you feel a bite, you won't be replacing them often. The legs are really stretchy and I doubt they can get "pulled off" when a fish bites.

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    We have had really good luck with the Mustad Ink Vaders. I'm sure these will get them too.

The Inkvaders are bigger and we fish the big ones to weed out all the small rockfish.

Reactions: Cubeye

OldDrum_72

Jan 19, 2020
    NC
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Stratos
    Nice can't wait to try it out on bottom critter's. How do you rig it? Leader size and length and knot etc. Thx

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Nice can't wait to try it out on bottom critter's. How do you rig it? Leader size and length and knit etc. Thx
    I like 60 or 80lb fluoro. Around 15ft tied with a PR knot to my mainline. I actually like to crimp it so there is a loop for the octopus to move more freely. Or a chain knot so I have just a little bit of a buffer when I lock the reel spool.

OldDrum_72

Jan 19, 2020
    NC
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Stratos
    I like 60 or 80lb fluoro. Around 15ft tied with a PR knot to my mainline. I actually like to crimp it so there is a loop for the octopus to move more freely. Or a chain knot so I have just a little bit of a buffer when I lock the reel spool.

Gotcha that chain knot is no joke tie lol. What is your main line size.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Ali what is the larger size I purchased the 10.5 oz 3d I looked at the ink vader and did not see a weighti found it 6,8,10 and 12 oz

Last edited:

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    What do you think about alaska bottom fishing with these? Or is it just not needed?