Inshore Sausalito Rockfish Fail

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    We went out around 5pm to fish rockfish under the GGB. My transducer mount broke off on the initial run out of the harbor, so that didn't help. I ran up to the Trident to look for bait, got no bait.

We went back down to the North Tower of the Bridge and fished there with a few bites in 40 feet of water. I then drifted deeper (120 feet) to the east. We got a few strikes but no luck. We fished swim baits, flies, and Gulps. We got very limited action on the flies and no action on the baits.

Weather was good. The wind died around 6:30 pm. There were tons of porpoises and seals out.

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    What ducer? Trailer damage, rough water, or regular b.o.a.t.stuff?
    I have a transom mount garmin gt-20 on a Sternsaver. The epoxy on the Sternsaver seems to have fractured. It broke off when I pushed the transducer down. I’m guessing it failed due to vibration through the aluminum hull. Rough water may also be an issue.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Thanks, I want a new combo unit. I have an older side scan humminbird. Mount is plastic w/ screws. It’s held up. I almost bought a stainless mounting bracket initially but figured I would just replace as needed which was never in 8 years in the slip.

Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I’m curious what tide you aim for when fishing the ggb. Slack high tide?
    I checked my notes on my last several trips. We seem to be doing best just after low. Given the exposure to the wind and ocean, slack and flood are much calmer conditions to fish in. The drop-off I am targeting is fully exposed to the ocean.

Reactions: salty scallop
    Upvote 0

Patmidd

• Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    We didn't fish today, but ran to Sam's for lunch. We wandered along the Sausalito waterfront on the way back. I marked ton's of bait on the fish finder.

Upvote 0

Latest posts