PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
My bro-in law and I took my sons and 3 of their friends fishing today at Cat for my oldest son's birthday out of LBC.

At 06:00 we were about 5th in line for Nacho, and it went pretty quickly.
He had decent deans and squid. Opted for dines, and we had fresh frozen squid.

Crossing was pretty tame, a little mixed wind chop, very little ground swell. Mostly overcast all day, and about 65-66 mid channel. No real paddies were seen.

Hit the front side near Gibraltar first for mucho calicos, etc. but no yellows.

Headed south to Long Point and saw some guys fishing about 1/4 mile north of there...yelled and told them they were in the MLPA and he seemed to understand and then moved. I'm surprised how many people are clueless about it. Wonder what the fine is when they get caught?

Tried trolling some Rapalas for no love. Found a small bonita school but hooked only one before seal lions took over.

Had some lunch and decided to work back to Gibraltar, rather than heading east, and then fighting the swell / wind on the way back to LBC.

Back near Gibraltar, the current was now a little downhill, when the morning had been uphill (and wind against current). I was banking on that, and it paid off, sort of.

We hung a 15 lb class yellow, although just one. It was landed on a HookUp bait, by the most serious kid fisherman on the boat, so I was stoked for him.
(Side note: a 6-pack was trying to setup maybe 40 feet or less off our bow... within seconds of us being hooked up. Too close IMO, but whatever.)

Things mostly seemed pretty dead today, and I did not see or hear of any other yellows hung the whole day.

About a half mile from LBC breakwall, heard a loud pop from the port engine, and shut her down. Uh oh. Had to limp in on one engine. Upon inspection back at the slip, thankfully looks like the exhaust clamp just came loose at the turbo. Should be an easy fix... always something!
IMG_8252.JPG
IMG_8260.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    BRAVO, Im packing now heading out at 4am!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Gee.. I wonder how many 6 packs from LBC area was out today catching yellowtail? People shouldn't come up to someone bow that closely even if its a hot bite.

counts.jpg

Upvote 0

PacificPredator

Captain
    Dec 9, 2010
    LBC
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Gee.. I wonder how many 6 packs from LBC area was out today catching yellowtail? People shouldn't come up to someone bow that closely even if its a hot bite.

counts.jpg
    It was a different one.
    No big deal...just felt too close.
    Although the bite , if you can call it that, did shut down after he pulled in.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    At 06:00 we were about 5th in line for Nacho, and it went pretty quickly.
    He had decent deans and squid. Opted for dines, and we had fresh frozen squid.

I've only had 1 time in all the years Nacho's been scooping bait in the LA Harbor complex where the Sardines were only decent, and he squared that away with me the same day. You might need to tap the resource differently. When there's not so many boats waiting in line there could be an opportunity to visit a different receiver where the Sardines might have had a longer time to cure.

"It is very strange that the longer a man fishes the more there seems to be to learn." -Zane Grey

Life is Evolution, otherwise you're Obsolete!

It appears the kids really enjoyed their day, nice job Dad!

Upvote 0

PacificPredator

Captain
    Dec 9, 2010
    LBC
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    I've only had 1 time in all the years Nacho's been scooping bait in the LA Harbor complex where the Sardines were only decent, and he squared that away with me the same day. You might need to tap the resource differently. When there's not so many boats waiting in line there could be an opportunity to visit a different receiver where the Sardines might have had a longer time to cure.

The sardines were good I guess, we had none roll on us. I say decent only because they seemed smaller than usual and they were not the strongest swimmers.

It used to be nice to have 2 bait barges in LBC. Now there's no option really, unless you want to take the extra half hour to run down to San Pedro bait.

Either way, not complaining about Nacho at all.

Upvote 0