Saturday 11/30/19

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Went solo 11/29, blew a fuel line, had grabbed some bait before having to come back in. Fortunately D&M was opened because Hydra Air wasn't; they were able to fix me up, got back down to the boat at noon on Friday installed the hose tested all good...

Mike and Andrew met me down at the boat a little after 5 Saturday morning; we pushed off hoping to p/u some bait. Hopes not too high as it was breezy. But not too breezy, as were able to do pretty good on the akule. Then we ran out to R to see if we could get some bait, Mike was able to get a few before the bait stealing porpoise showed up. We had talked about dragging a bait around R, but with the bait stealers here no need.

Set up a trolled around, outside the 1000 to the 500, maybe around noon, Mike and I in the tower, the center goes, see a decent Blue porpoising off to the side of the boat, after a few seconds of exhilaration, he comes off. Get set back up heading up North on the 1000 when the stbd rigger goes... SWEET.
IMG_0721.JPG

Mike clears lines, Andrew dons the gear, I pretty much stay at the wheel because it is a tad bumpy. Certainly believing its a marlin, though we never saw it jump. Get the deck set up, Andrew making progress on the fish, though when the critter wants to, he takes line. Probably a good 30 minutes in and it is getting pretty apparent that this fish is stubborn, he goes deep, comes back up to the surface, pulls hard to the beam, not easy. And that's how we want them, makes it all that more memorable.

Finally get to see him, certainly still thinking marlin, with the glare on the water and sea state, you can just see a shadow. Then he runs off another 30 yds. He settles in to a nice pattern staying just off the stbd corner, slowly making up line. See the leader pop up, I leave the wheel grab the leader and say holy chit, "its an ahi". Mike gaffs and get our stubborn little buddy on board. Obviously all 3 of us are pretty damn stoked.
IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Gutted and on ice, we keep trudging along, finally get back in about 2:30 all smiles. Thanks Andrew and Mike, both fish grabbed Mikes lures, one a Capt Ron (Kauai) and the other a Shiroma, sorry didn't take any lure pics.

Here's the towel I wrapped around my leg after getting out of the shower.
IMG_0719.JPG

Here's the PS: get home get stuff put away, time to shower, unwrap the leg, pull the Iodoform out of the 2 incisions, just about ready to jump in the shower when I feel warmth on my leg, look down and see a puddle of blood WTF, the upper incision is pouring blood, a nice 3/16" rivelette running down my leg making a complete mess of the bathroom rug I'm standing on. I know Nerlie is outside, I really need to clean up, so take a very hurried shower, trying to keep pressure on the wound. I wish I had taken a picture of the shower floor it was completely awash in RED. Get done, wrap another towel around my leg, get down stairs, get Nerlie to give me a hand. Elevate the leg, keep direct pressure on the wound, finally stops bleeding, get it wrapped up; no I didn't put the Iodoform into either incision, maybe I should have gone to the Hospital, I didn't. I do see the surgeon today.

All in all a FUN and INTERESTING day.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

shadzdad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Pat, Andrew and Mike good teamwork in the sloppy conditions. Pat your persistence paid off with a nice yft, now take care your leg.

Reactions: blufin10

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
Pat,

Nice work!
Beautiful fish!

They should be a bit richer in fat this time of year = supa Ono Sashimi. Funny, I just mentioned that I wouldn"t be surprised to see a few Ahi get caught this month during the new moons. That cold core eddie that approached from the South, ton of bait, and Pantropical Spotted Dolphins out west were all good signs, and if I recall there was an Ahi bite last December.

We fished ballyhoo out west Friday and only ended up with 3 short bites (likely small kine Mahi) on the day.

Way to show us how it's done!

Make sure to take care of that leg. You are only supposed to keep the boat's deck bloody.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: shadzdad

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
Way to go Pat!!! Take care of that leg. My friends braved the east side picked up some big shibis biggest one 89 lb gg.

Reactions: triton91

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Wow Pat, you hard core buggah. Good going to you and your crew on your catch and patch up your leg...

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Damn Pat, you are hardcore! Good to see you are getting better.

miltonsylva

Jun 29, 2009
hollister,ca
Name
milts
Boat
18 c/cstriper
Awesome Pat to you and your crew on finding the yf.. Relax that leg of yours and get better! For next week the fish are calling you! LOL

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Good to see ya back.

I'm not a doc, but you might want to get that leg looked at again!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat, Andrew and Mike good teamwork in the sloppy conditions. Pat your persistence paid off with a nice yft, now take care your leg.
Thanks Darren, damn lucky and your right, battery/fuel line/catch.
Pat,

Nice work!
Beautiful fish!

They should be a bit richer in fat this time of year = supa Ono Sashimi. Funny, I just mentioned that I wouldn"t be surprised to see a few Ahi get caught this month during the new moons. That cold core eddie that approached from the South, ton of bait, and Pantropical Spotted Dolphins out west were all good signs, and if I recall there was an Ahi bite last December.

We fished ballyhoo out west Friday and only ended up with 3 short bites (likely small kine Mahi) on the day.

Way to show us how it's done!

Make sure to take care of that leg. You are only supposed to keep the boat's deck bloody.

John
Thanks John, the Sash was Ono; other than the first night. Nerlie made me eat some (even though I knew it would be tough) because of my blood letting, I just swallowed it in lieu of trying to savor the texture. We've caught ahis in all months, but only in the porpoise (never in the blind) when in the off season, except for 1 BET we got on New Year's Eve 2013. Sorry you missed he bites.
Way to go Pat!!! Take care of that leg. My friends braved the east side picked up some big shibis biggest one 89 lb gg.
Thanks Steve, that a big shibi.
Wow Pat, you hard core buggah. Good going to you and your crew on your catch and patch up your leg...
Thanks Jimmy, its all a matter of priorities
Damn Pat, you are hardcore! Good to see you are getting better.
Thanks Justin, yep on the mend.
Awesome Pat to you and your crew on finding the yf.. Relax that leg of yours and get better! For next week the fish are calling you! LOL
Thanks Milts, I hear them.
Good to see ya back.

I'm not a doc, but you might want to get that leg looked at again!
Thanks Ali, I saw the Surgeon on Monday, she released me and said keep doing what your doing. Not sure she understood how I took that.
Thanks again for the great day on the water Pat! Hope the leg heals up quick
Andrew, I might be buying you plane tickets to get back over here, assuming you keep that batting average.

Thanks
Pat

Reactions: JimmyK

badasschinito

Mar 19, 2019
Kailua/New York
www.instagram.com
Name
Andrew
Boat
Nope
Thanks Darren, damn lucky and your right, battery/fuel line/catch.

Thanks John, the Sash was Ono; other than the first night. Nerlie made me eat some (even though I knew it would be tough) because of my blood letting, I just swallowed it in lieu of trying to savor the texture. We've caught ahis in all months, but only in the porpoise (never in the blind) when in the off season, except for 1 BET we got on New Year's Eve 2013. Sorry you missed he bites.

Thanks Steve, that a big shibi.

Thanks Jimmy, its all a matter of priorities

Thanks Justin, yep on the mend.

Thanks Milts, I hear them.

Thanks Ali, I saw the Surgeon on Monday, she released me and said keep doing what your doing. Not sure she understood how I took that.

Andrew, I might be buying you plane tickets to get back over here, assuming you keep that batting average.

Thanks
Pat
HAH! knock on wood! will be back for the holidays :)

akunui

Jan 15, 2007
oahu
Name
jason
Boat
28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
Blind Ahi in November? It must be doctors orders. Good going!!

Ive been following your leg like the rest of the silent mafia. Thanks for the updates and heal up and go fishing more!

Reactions: calvinkeithpres

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
You are amazing at finding those YFT. We're all glad to see the fish report but I think we'd all rather see your leg get better. Probably the Captain would too. Happy Holidays

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
HAH! knock on wood! will be back for the holidays :)
Hopefully our schedules synch up.
Blind Ahi in November? It must be doctors orders. Good going!!

Ive been following your leg like the rest of the silent mafia. Thanks for the updates and heal up and go fishing more!
Thanks Jason, one good bite outside CO this past Saturday, that was is.
You are amazing at finding those YFT. We're all glad to see the fish report but I think we'd all rather see your leg get better. Probably the Captain would too. Happy Holidays
Thanks Steven, my leg is getting better, no more blood letting.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: Puravida16