Saturday 08/17/2019 @ the 226/302 and Beyond

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If you were so close that you could identify which person on the boat was the captain you were definitely to close

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
If you were so close that you could identify which person on the boat was the captain you were definitely to close
Who is responsible for the boat and it's compliment and passengers? Who? What part of I ventured too close during my drift did you not understand fully? I did it...If I was two feet away, that does not give anybody the right to assault. If that missile would have hit my passenger or me in the head, it could have been fatal and at the very least GBI....Ap

joshc1024

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 23, 2009
oceanside/ca/US
Name
Josh
Boat
none
Who is responsible for the boat and it's compliment and passengers? Who? What part of I ventured too close during my drift did you not understand fully? I did it...If I was two feet away, that does not give anybody the right to assault. If that missile would have hit my passenger or me in the head, it could have been fatal and at the very least GBI....Ap
So, how do you know it was the captain?

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Musta had on one of those sporty captains' hats...

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
We got to Mission Bay at 1900 on Friday and launched the boat at Dana launch ramp. I went over to Mariners Cove, after rigging the boat and dropped anchor until 0200 Saturday morning. Got a scoop of bait and headed for the 226. I got to the 226 at grey light and started to troll. The water was basically flat and 71.4F. As it got lighter I looked off to the west and saw everybody that had a boat all grouped up for MILES. This was about six miles west of the 226, so I trolled in that direction. As I got there I could see this parking lot had the most boats in it that I had ever seen gathered at one time, A real time boat show under actual conditions right there before my very eyes....So, I hung a U-turn and trolled towards the 302. At the 302, the water was 70.1F, I got a Bonito and kept going towards the 371. By the time I made it to the 371 I had caught four more Bonito and the water temp dropped to 68.9F, so I headed back to the Parking lot. I pulled in all the trolls and trolling gear and was drifting when we finally got hit, so I had my friend reel it up, he had never caught a tuna or had been on a tuna trip. It was a nice 15-20lb YFT. We kept drifting here and there, but never got bit again. We left the area around 1500 and started back. On the way back there was a small cluster of boats along with the 'OLD Glory. I figured one last drift and we were done. I idled into the area and shut down about 100 yards up hill and out from the "Old Glory" and was letting the wind push the boat down hill with a couple of flylined sardines in tow. As we drifted we closed on the Old Glory while passing and at one point because of the speed of my drift compared to theirs, I was probably too close for the time it was taking to drift by 50 yards or so. I did not want to fire up my engines, I thought it would be less 'Googan' like to just drift through and keep going. The all of a sudden their skipper is on the back rail yelling expletives at me. The proverbial mouth of a sailor, then he start threatening me. "I know where you live" " Hey everybody remember that boat and let's get that guy" etc. etc. I tried to ignore him right up to the point where he says "I am going to break the windows out of your boat", "Watch out here comes a lure". Well, he tosses a extra Large Flat Fall that hits my hard top just about two feet high of breaking out my glass and when he jerks it to retrieve it get caught up on some of my rigging. I reached up and cut his line and joined in with some profanity. I un hooked the lure and he is yelling that I am a "Thief and stealing his $20 lure so I walked over to the side of my boat that was facing him and held the lure in the air and then tossed it in the drink. We continued our drift and then came back to the ramp. All and all, another day of full contact sport fishing on the beautiful California coast. The radio chatter on 72 was over the top, complete with a guy that would have an open mic for twenty minutes at a time..I had a good time and the boat ran well.....In hindsight probably the best strategy would have been to go right up into the middle of the Parking Lot and drift for the day. Most people that did this developed a slow pick and landed several fish. Then there were the over achievers that just plain caught them all. One more thing, I had to leave early, but I think the late afternoon bite is probably better than the early morning bite. That's it ....Ap
your drift should error on caution not error in being too close. although mostly too late starting up and getting away slowly would have been a decent move. assault with a potentially deadly weapon very scary indeed.

Reactions: Bradyxxx

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
your drift should error on caution not error in being too close. although mostly too late starting up and getting away slowly would have been a decent move. assault with a potentially deadly weapon very scary indeed.
Which I did start up and move slowly away..........Ap

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
It's a dick move to cast a jig at someones boat but no one got hurt and now you know not to get too close to other boats. You got to go fishing and learned a valuable lesson, sounds like a good day.

Reactions: stuman

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
first off if you knew you were getting g close....which remains in doubt... you now know you were....second what makes you think that captain....if he was the capt did hit exactly what he was aiming at? most guys that rose to the level of captain can put a jig on a 2foot hula hoop when needed...face it you dodged a bullet oh and thanks for letting all the other numbnuts from Bakersfield know that you arent bass fishing any more.
ps if you got two feet away I'd gaff your ass

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
first off if you knew you were getting g close....which remains in doubt... you now know you were....second what makes you think that captain....if he was the capt did hit exactly what he was aiming at? most guys that rose to the level of captain can put a jig on a 2foot hula hoop when needed...face it you dodged a bullet oh and thanks for letting all the other numbnuts from Bakersfield know that you arent bass fishing any more.
Well, you are obviously one ignorant individual. Everytime you open your mouth your brain is on parade. ......Did you take care of this Big mouth? "You have four stores in my county and I will never set foot in one again until the young man that objected to your employee wearing a uniform he didn't earn the right to wear get a full written apology and the apology becomes public...I am passing this story on to all that I served with in the past...and in San Diego county that is a bunch who also know a bunch more people they will pass it on to".....Too bad your in your Autum years (61) and are such a loser. Living in an apartment, with no years left. You are miserable and I see the origin of your venom. The good news is that I still like you. ......Ap

Last edited:

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
Well, you are obviously one ignorant individual. Everytime you open your mouth your brain is on parade. ......Did you take care of this Big mouth? "You have four stores in my county and I will never set foot in one again until the young man that objected to your employee wearing a uniform he didn't earn the right to wear get a full written apology and the apology becomes public...I am passing this story on to all that I served with in the past...and in San Diego county that is a bunch who also know a bunch more people they will pass it on to".....Too bad your in your Autum years (61) and are such a loser. Living in an apartment, with no years left. You are miserable and I see the origin of your venom. The good news is that I still like you. ......Ap
what the heck are you talking about now? I mean seriously put down the bong....

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
You may need to delete that post and chill. No need to threaten violence by gaffing someone. Seriously bro...anger management and med time.

Megamonster

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2016
Hueneme
Name
Darryl
Boat
Robalo
this kind of stuff only happens to kooks, all you needed to do is pack a little common courtesy in your breakfast next time keep your distance

Last edited:

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
it wouldnt be violence to you Hollywood types

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Close, too close, everyone’s on top of each other.

Zero tolerance for throwing iron at a vessel or boater. ZERO.

I would be waiting at the dock with the police.

After reading this post I find the folks agreeing with the capt that it is ok to sling metal objects because their good at it being a Capt.

Good night to the shit show on BD & on the water..

Last edited:

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Looks like you post hear often and so do I, so we probably don't want any of that either....
Here. Not hear.
:)
Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart-ass.

findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
Blackman 20' pilot house
I love and baby my boat. No one should be throwing a jig or a sinker at anyone's boat. Potentially putting a hole in your fiberglass and you know the rest. Bottomline a-holes everywhere, not just on the water. Some dude on a nice Parker was literally right behind my chum line on 226 on Friday. I laughed and said to my friend "really." We just moved on tho I wanted to call him a loser on a nice rig. My 2 cents.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
On the private boaters behalf sharing schools sucks if you can find your own school. Not that hard right now. The whole point of having a private boat is to get away from the crowds and to find your own fish and drive away from other boats.

A small biting school is all that is necessary to satisfy 1-4 people which are found oustide of the parking lot. Broken off parts of the big schools.

While enjoying your vacation fishing day on the water having a good time and away and free from work. Decompress the stress.

Or might as well hop on a comfy public boat with a pro captain, hot kitchen, AC, bunks, massive chum, fish handling, boat cleaning along with a giant stable fishing platform. And all you have to do is walk on and walk off.

If your not going to enjoy the freedom of being capable of fishing away from everyone with your own boat. Why even bother with owning a private boat and all the care required? If your going to fish a public boat from your private boat.

The hundreds of days I have private boat fished. We have never once POACHED another boats expensive fishing finding equipment, stabi binoculars, crows nest, side scan, paid for chum, ect. UNLESS invited in to use their paid for chum and school they found with thier expensive electonics that the invested in while using their eyes.

Can you imagine getting poached 100 days in a row by hundreds of other boats. Some would literally have a heart attack. Getting angry over 1 day. Try 100 days poached out of 100 days in a row.

Now is a great time to fish alone

Break time over

Reactions: stuman

Latest posts