karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
The plan was to make the hop over to Cat with a tank of deans and min macks to look for YT. Plans and reality are not the same. As we got close to the LBC it became clear that the forecast was carp. Spotty fog after 5pm my A! As soon as we left the dock it was clear that we would have about 50 to 100 ft of vis. It was foggy as hell out there. You would think everyone would stay home. GPS is your friend. We needed it to find our way out of the harbor and we got a little lost on the way to the bait receiver. You could also get lost on the way from the bait receiver as well. It was that kind of fog! We did not hit anything and we made it to the west end of Cat. We only say three boat on the way. One guy seemed lost. We started just short of the west end in about 80ft of water. We were into the bones in a few min. We caught a few we missed a few, the nicer one will pull 30lb from your reel no problem. The dogs were also on us big time. Once Joe lost a fish to them they chased us all day. They would hid under the boat waiting for you to bring them a meal. Those suckers will bite off a bone just behind it head just like they are stealing a dean from you. They are really good at it. We never found any YT we caught about 30 bones. We fished the west end and a bit around the back side. At one point I gave the iron a shot, two cast. One bump and one bone so yea they want the iron as well. The seas were not too bumpy we had a great time pulling on those mini tuna! We came home with a bunch and it was foggy on the way in but a lot less. The west end of Cat is funky with bones! Have fun and go get them!
PS radar would be nice!

Hey-19

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
Brave soul without radar, I would have been going so slow it would have been an all day trip just to get there! Any bass?

thanks for the report

Reactions: monster1

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
With all the money people put into boats, Why don't they hold off on one rod/reel they want or some fancy paint job, etc, And Just go put a radar on their boat. Then getting lost, driving by sound, relying on their GPS (sometimes they lose their signals) and put a [email protected]&%!#G RADAR ON THEIR BOAT!!! They not only Jeopardize themselves, But everyone around them, Especially doing 20 knots in Dense Fog!! The Coast Guard should make it mandatory to operate a vessel in fog without a functional!!!

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
I read a report from someone who said it was so foggy they could only do 20kts. Thats enough to keep me off the water. Great report though.
20kts in the fog is pretty sketch if you ask me, but to each their own. I wouldn't be on that boat myself!
Radar is basically a must, considering all the shipping traffic and boat traffic in socal.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Them big container ships don't make a sound or a wake.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Damn that is super sketch without radar! Even with radar I get a little uneasy making the crossing to cat in the fog.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
20kts in the fog is pretty sketch if you ask me, but to each their own. I wouldn't be on that boat myself!
Radar is basically a must, considering all the shipping traffic and boat traffic in socal.
I asked the guy if he was joking about "only" going 20kts. He said, "what do you mean?"

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
There were idiots in the channel hauling butt yesterday in the fog. SMH.
My glasses mist up in the fog. Good times. I make sure everyone keeps an eye out while I'm starting at the radar screen.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
We caught one bass, about 13" and what looked to be a legal cuda.
I have not been out in fog where it was foggy at the island as well. That would be a serious issue. As for the big container ships not making noise, not true. The first time We ran into fog in the chan we discovered that you can here them. This was about 20yrs ago. You hear this chug chug chug sound, not to fast. Then this big black wall shows up in the fog. You can see the props are not fully submerged because she is empty. That will get you buddy to help you search for objects in the fog! Radar would be nice, but you kind of need to have something to attach it too like a Tee top or a hard top or maybe a arch.
We did find one guy that seemed to be heading in the wrong direction, a container ship (lots of lights) a couple of small boat wakes and the flyer (big wake!). No 20 knts we were running at 16Knts for the most part going and 16 to 21 on the flip side. Going fast in small boats hurts too much.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
We caught one bass, about 13" and what looked to be a legal cuda.
I have not been out in fog where it was foggy at the island as well. That would be a serious issue. As for the big container ships not making noise, not true. The first time We ran into fog in the chan we discovered that you can here them. This was about 20yrs ago. You hear this chug chug chug sound, not to fast. Then this big black wall shows up in the fog. You can see the props are not fully submerged because she is empty. That will get you buddy to help you search for objects in the fog! Radar would be nice, but you kind of need to have something to attach it too like a Tee top or a hard top or maybe a arch.
We did find one guy that seemed to be heading in the wrong direction, a container ship (lots of lights) a couple of small boat wakes and the flyer (big wake!). No 20 knts we were running at 16Knts for the most part going and 16 to 21 on the flip side. Going fast in small boats hurts too much.

Sounds like you got it figured out.

Reactions: kevina

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
All I need is for someone to stand in the bow with a radar dish in one hand and a display mounted on their ars and we will be golden. Short of that I don't realy have anywhere to install it. Same story with the windless and wash-down pump. Small boats don't have room for everything!

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
All I need is for someone to stand in the bow with a radar dish in one hand and a display mounted on their ars and we will be golden. Short of that I don't realy have anywhere to install it. Same story with the windless and wash-down pump. Small boats don't have room for everything!
You don't need a Tower or a Tee Top to Mount your radar! You can use a 2" Stainless Steel or Aluminum pole with a plate on top of it and run the wires inside the tube and Mount it on the side of your Center Console or 6"X6" plate on the bottom of the tube that will mount to your deck! It's the same theory as mounting a VHF Antenna. I get tired of hearing people say, "I don't have anyway to mount a radar on my boat!!! If theirs a will, Theirs a way". You can get a "Furuno 1623, LCD Radar" for $1300 all day long.

Reactions: Zika and SemperFi75

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
You don't need a Tower or a Tee Top to Mount your radar! You can use a 2" Stainless Steel or Aluminum pole with a plate on top of it and run the wires inside the tube and Mount it on the side of your Center Console or 6"X6" plate on the bottom of the tube that will mount to your deck! It's the same theory as mounting a VHF Antenna. I get tired of hearing people say, "I don't have anyway to mount a radar on my boat!!! If theirs a will, Theirs a way". You can get a "Furuno 1623, LCD Radar" for $1300 all day long.
Next winter project. Got a space reserved for the dedicated display.👍
First time to Catalina and we almost called it off in SP.
Went SLOW and steady with eyes out and listening to the VHF for ships yelling at me.😆
Glad we did cause it was a great weekend but definitely will feel safer for me but more for the buddies.
3A564E24-4F6E-4AB2-835F-55D45DED70AD.jpeg
F7405375-28AA-4175-AE31-E91F6333080F.jpeg
0E23884F-8510-4372-BACA-43C5CD10A15C.jpeg

1500 RPM, 7 MPH for 20 minutes.

Then heaven ...

Smooth seas and tight lines.

And a shout out to Becky at the bar. I’ll take a Pacifico instead of the Buffalo Milk next time but the service was great.👍🤣

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
"Painkiller" in the British Virgin Islands - same thing...
Looked up the drink.👍
That is one I might like and you get some vitamin C with a painkiller. And lactose intolerant people can drink it.🤣

WahooUSMA

Feb 25, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Roger
Boat
37 Bertram
I read a report from someone who said it was so foggy they could only do 20kts. Thats enough to keep me off the water. Great report though.
And keep me far away from someone doing 20kts in the fog!

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
+1

...a radar mast can be removable.

Reactions: SemperFi75